Author Topic: Brief Cases to be released Summer 2018!  (Read 18029 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Brief Cases to be released Summer 2018!
« on: August 21, 2017, 05:25:40 AM »
Via Publishers Weekly:

Butcher Brings ‘Cases’ to Ace Books

Ace Books executive editor Anne Sowards acquired world English and audio rights to Brief Cases, a short story collection by Jim Butcher, author of the bestselling Dresden Files series. The new book is a companion piece to Butcher’s 2010 short story collection, Side Jobs. It also includes previously published content based on the Dresden Files series, as well as a new Dresden Files novella. Brief Cases is scheduled to be released in summer 2018. The deal was brokered by Jennifer Jackson at the Donald Maass Literary agency.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Brief Cases to be released Summer 2018!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 07:31:35 AM »
Nice! I've got most of the Short Stories on Kindle but it'd be nice to have them in one set back to back. Is the additional story in the anthology going to be the one with Harry and his daughters at the Zoo?

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 05:08:15 PM »
Via Publishers Weekly:

Butcher Brings ‘Cases’ to Ace Books

Ace Books executive editor Anne Sowards acquired world English and audio rights to Brief Cases, a short story collection by Jim Butcher, author of the bestselling Dresden Files series. The new book is a companion piece to Butcher’s 2010 short story collection, Side Jobs. It also includes previously published content based on the Dresden Files series, as well as a new Dresden Files novella. Brief Cases is scheduled to be released in summer 2018. The deal was brokered by Jennifer Jackson at the Donald Maass Literary agency.

So I looked at my Alex Verus books and confirmed that Ace is a Penguin Random House entity, but why doesn't this one have the ROC label like all the other Dresden Files books I briefly checked before posting this question?

I'm asking from a relative position of ignorance, not knowing the relationship between Ace and ROC other than that they are both Penguin Random House entities. 
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Firnatine34

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 02:00:50 AM »
Yikes. A whole year away for stuff thats already written. Why is there such a delay?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 02:45:23 AM »
I remember someone sharing that Roc dropped several Urban fantasy series over the last year or so, including Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series.  I recall reading her blog where she said she knew of several Roc authors in the same boat as her.

Maybe that was unrelated, or maybe they've changed their focus?  Looking at Roc's site, they've got plenty of fantasy series still going, including urban fantasy. So it's not that they stopped that genre.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 08:08:20 AM »
I don't particularly care which publishing house does the book, as long as it gets published. Or does it make a difference?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 03:44:35 PM »
Ugh... I really wanted them before to help a little with my Dresden shortage.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »
Could check out fan-fic?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 08:23:35 PM »
Ugh... I really wanted them before to help a little with my Dresden shortage.
Could check out fan-fic?

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7102335/griffyn612

Offline slayn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 08:32:49 PM »
Yikes. A whole year away for stuff thats already written. Why is there such a delay?

There is probably a clause in his contract for Straight Outta Tombstone that specifies an exclusivity period for "A Fistful of Warlocks."  I believe a similar clause is what kept "Even Hand" out of Side Jobs.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 09:08:02 PM »
Could check out fan-fic?

With a vanishingly few exceptions fan-fic sucks.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 09:25:15 PM »
There is probably a clause in his contract for Straight Outta Tombstone that specifies an exclusivity period for "A Fistful of Warlocks."  I believe a similar clause is what kept "Even Hand" out of Side Jobs.

Ok, it's that is the reason, it's fine, because folks who only buy Brief Cases will be grateful to have "all in one place".
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 01:21:53 AM »
With a vanishingly few exceptions fan-fic sucks.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 02:04:16 PM »
Griff, I promise I will read it, I love your writing. But you have to admit it's not the same. I try not to read fan fic because it confuses me. Not the main story but details mentioned in a fan fic sometimes are messed in my mind with real work details.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 04:16:16 PM »
Griff, I promise I will read it, I love your writing. But you have to admit it's not the same. I try not to read fan fic because it confuses me. Not the main story but details mentioned in a fan fic sometimes are messed in my mind with real work details.
I totally understand.  I don't like it when fanfic gets the voices and behavior wrong, which is why I stay away from writing Dresden stories.

I have three ongoing character arcs.  Two are in the Dresdenverse we all know and love, but aren't from Harry's perspective; they're original characters with minimal overlap of familiar characters.  The third is from Harry's perspective, but in a Mirrorverse that's got significant differences that explain away character differences.