Author Topic: Alternative Casting Challenge  (Read 8402 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Alternative Casting Challenge
« on: August 10, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »
The Challenge is to identify an actor that perfectly fits the Character, while not actually looking like the physical descriptions in the novels.

My go-to example for such things is the casting of Lestat for Interview with a Vampire vs Queen of the Damned; I thought Townsend did a far better job with the tone and personality of Lestat than Tom Cruise did, but Cruise was the proper Blued-eyed Blond (if about a foot too short). 

Another example, Jim said once that he thought Will Smith would make a great Harry Dresden. 

So, Ill start:

Father Forthill:
Jemaine Clement

Mac:
Bruce Willis

Molly Carpenter:
Alisha Wainwright

Michael:
Idris Elba

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Casting Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:04:27 PM »
Michael - Christopher Judge

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:52:23 PM »
Hmmm, I love the guy, but at least onscreen Ive never seen him loosen up to be able to picture him as Michael (no to say he cant, but Id want him to audition a scene or two).  Not that Michael is particularly "loose" persay, but he's a lot softer around his kids than the ever-present formality I associate with Teal'c

I could see Nathan Fillion doing it, based purely on the episode of Castle where his daughter gets kidnapped.  Mama Bears got nothin' on him. 

Any Ideas for a Mortimer?  Im struggling to find the right mix of Cowardice and indignation. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 02:39:17 AM »
Hmmm, I love the guy, but at least onscreen Ive never seen him loosen up to be able to picture him as Michael (no to say he cant, but Id want him to audition a scene or two).  Not that Michael is particularly "loose" persay, but he's a lot softer around his kids than the ever-present formality I associate with Teal'c

I could see Nathan Fillion doing it, based purely on the episode of Castle where his daughter gets kidnapped.  Mama Bears got nothin' on him. 

Any Ideas for a Mortimer?  Im struggling to find the right mix of Cowardice and indignation.
https://youtu.be/NJGX7xevomI
Here's Judge being casual in a Mamoa interview.  He can be normal, too, but does a great job of carrying himself in a un-intimidating manner.  That's the key for Michael to me.  Being a big guy that doesn't try to look big.

As for Mortimer, if I were casting 15 years ago, I'd of said Steve Paymer, no doubt about it.  He doesn't match the description of Mort's weight, but he could easily do the smarmy burnt out Mort and the respectable and stubbornly anti-Harry Mort.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:36:12 PM »
https://youtu.be/NJGX7xevomI
Here's Judge being casual in a Mamoa interview.  He can be normal, too, but does a great job of carrying himself in a un-intimidating manner.  That's the key for Michael to me.  Being a big guy that doesn't try to look big.
He's a casual guy in interviews, Ive just never seen him Act a character on that side of things.  What I need is a stargate episode featuring body swapping; did he ever have to play Jack stuck in Teal'c's Body?

As for Mortimer, if I were casting 15 years ago, I'd of said Steve Paymer, no doubt about it.  He doesn't match the description of Mort's weight, but he could easily do the smarmy burnt out Mort and the respectable and stubbornly anti-Harry Mort.

Oh, Perfect!! The poor soul he played in Oceans 13 is what Ive seen him in most recently, and it had just about the same tone
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 04:50:04 PM »
Michael - Christopher Judge

I'd like to have seen him as Sonya.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 05:19:53 PM »
I'd like to have seen him as Sonya.
Meh for me.  I typically picture Sanya as being his size, but younger.  A bulked up Anthony Mackie would be perfect, but as he is, he's not quite big enough.  I could see him delivering the lines, though.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 08:14:54 PM »
There's one episode of SG-1 where Teal'c and O'Neill get mind-swapped, and he nails all of Richard Dean Anderson's mannerisms and personality as O'Neill.

He can do it.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 11:56:08 PM »
Reginald VelJohnson as Stallings, with Darius McCrary as Rawlins.  VJ doesn't match Stallings exactly, and McCrary might be smaller than Rawlins is supposed to be.  But it's pretty much mandatory that VJ play a cop.

Also, for the record, William Hootkins (RIP) as Eckardt from Batman is the definitive Carmichael.

Since he's no longer available, I'd settle for Jason Alexander doing an impression.

On a random tangent, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Vadderung.  He's younger than most candidates, but I feel like a little gray hair and makeup will allow him to fit it nicely.  He's got a wolfish look, and his cocksure grin is very Odin-like. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:24:11 AM by Griffyn612 »

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 12:40:08 PM »
On a random tangent, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Vadderung.  He's younger than most candidates, but I feel like a little gray hair and makeup will allow him to fit it nicely.  He's got a wolfish look, and his cocksure grin is very Odin-like. 

Way too close to the actual descriptions methinks (though maybe the Norse god should get a pass?), for a Vadderung Im thinking more along the lines of:

Peter Mensah

Lance Reddick

Admittedly, it's basically my same list for Alternative Marcone's as well, though you can imagine why there's a lot of cross-over there.  There are also a ton of aging Kung fu stars that could work great but Im drawing a blank on any specifics.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:39:25 PM by Quantus »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 04:21:34 PM »
An alternative for Vadderung ...

(click to show/hide)

I know, I know ... but you have to admit, it could be made to work.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Im willing to allow she can be made to work in just about /any/ role.  But she'd be wasted as Vadderung, she's too high on too many other casting lists.  Id use her as Mavra or almost any denarian or Sidhe first; Id go for uriel but she basically did that in Constantine.  Hell, she'd be an awesome Gard.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 09:30:16 PM »

(click to show/hide)

The link is broken for me.  Might be because I'm at work.

Way too close to the actual descriptions methinks (though maybe the Norse god should get a pass?), for a Vadderung Im thinking more along the lines of:

Peter Mensah
http://i39.tinypic.com/aoxgli.jpg

Lance Reddick
http://p.fod4.com/p/channels/legacy/profile/1243870/1e113e244f5fe7018cddc2911e1673e0.jpg

Admittedly, it's basically my same list for Alternative Marcone's as well, though you can imagine why there's a lot of cross-over there.  There are also a ton of aging Kung fu stars that could work great but Im drawing a blank on any specifics.
He's mostly different because of age.  I'll check your first alternative once I'm beyond the great fire wall.  Your second alternative would be better suited for Langtry, where his scowl could be put to good use.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 09:45:23 PM »
The link is broken for me.  Might be because I'm at work.
He's mostly different because of age.  I'll check your first alternative once I'm beyond the great fire wall.  Your second alternative would be better suited for Langtry, where his scowl could be put to good use.
That's where I always get hung up on Casting: It wildly depends on which timeframe you are casting.  Marcone was already in his 40's in SF (salt&pepper beard), and that was close to 15 years ago.  Vadderung has a sense of vitality, but no real physical indications of age, persay.  So where do those two cross?

Hell, this all started from JB saying Will Smith would make a good Harry, but he's a couple decades past being able to play the 25yo Harry Dresden that started the series back in SF
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 04:53:23 PM »
And I present Mr. Arthur Langtry ...