Author Topic: Shoutouts/Nods to Dresden Files  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Shoutouts/Nods to Dresden Files
« on: August 02, 2017, 05:07:06 PM »
so, on another forum it was pointed out in the movie The Prestige, there is a playbill that includes -Harry Dresden

So I was wondering if anyone had seen and nods, shout-outs or references to Dresden Files in non Jim books?

Offline nordath1

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Shoutouts/Nods to Dresden Files
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 05:37:32 PM »
I've seen an offhand reference in the first Alex Verus novel.  He said that he heard of an urban legend of a wizard in Chicago who advertised in the phone book.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:01:48 AM »
so, on another forum it was pointed out in the movie The Prestige, there is a playbill that includes -Harry Dresden

So I was wondering if anyone had seen and nods, shout-outs or references to Dresden Files in non Jim books?
I'd forgotten for years and years, THAT is why I started reading Dresden Files. I watched it with family on a holiday. My brothers girlfriend/future wife asked about that cause she'd heard about it and wondered if I knew who Harry Dresden was, cause I like books and magic. I said no but the name stuck with me in the back of my head. Sure enough one day it stuck out again strolling through books-a-million and it jumps out at me again.  Twas Turn Coat, loved the Dueling with the Skinwalker. Closest to the original Merlin vs Morgana due,l where he beats her by
(click to show/hide)
, that I've ever seen/read. Been hooked ever since.

Half remember a few. One I wasn't sure on was in Inquisition, Dragon Age. A mission where your searching for an informant, named simply Butcher.
L.K Hamilton's Anita Blake has quite a few if your aware of the thematics behind the DF. An easy one though, is after Harry got the Winter Knight's Mantle Her 'version' of him Edward, began being described with words like cold, wintery gaze and other such key words not used in earlier books. Don't get me started on Ed and Anita's official nicknames :x
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:21:20 AM by jonas »
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 01:15:23 PM »
In one of the early Laundry Files books, the protagonist at one point describes the book he is reading and it's clear he's reading a Dresden Files book.  I don't remember the details.

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
  • You aren't my REAL dad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 02:13:58 PM »
In one of the early Bill the Vampire books, Bill confronts an antagonistic wizard named Harry/Harrold something and annoys him by wondering aloud why so many wizards are named Harry (outright naming Potter and Dresden), if I remember correctly.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 02:48:49 AM »
Can I shamelessly plug the book I wrote (in my signature), in which one of the protagonists (a mage) lets off a fire spell with "Fuego" and has a discussion on the daftness of calling a plant monster a "Florofiend"?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 12:47:28 PM »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 09:31:25 PM »
In one of the early Laundry Files books, the protagonist at one point describes the book he is reading and it's clear he's reading a Dresden Files book.  I don't remember the details.
whats the Laundry Files series?

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 01:41:04 AM »
Basically Lovecraftian James Bond.  Written by Charles Stross.

Also, I want to say there's a reference to him in the Nightside books, but I can't remember the specifics.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:45:18 AM by peregrine »