Author Topic: Card Discussion  (Read 13253 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Card Discussion
« on: July 27, 2017, 12:47:51 AM »
So does anyone actually follow the rule about not discussing card specifics with your team? I don't see the point in it beyond making an already-hard game even more difficult.

Seriously, my track record with my normal game group (not newbies at coop card games by any stretch) is 1-4, and that's with everyone outright showing what cards they have to each other to strategize.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Card Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 01:11:39 AM »
So does anyone actually follow the rule about not discussing card specifics with your team? I don't see the point in it beyond making an already-hard game even more difficult.

Seriously, my track record with my normal game group (not newbies at coop card games by any stretch) is 1-4, and that's with everyone outright showing what cards they have to each other to strategize.
Yep. It's important for immersive reasons. And can up the tension significantly. But I use the game with Juvenile delinquents to work on a number of issues so my experience in playing and purpose for the game is a little different.

Offline ITheHellAmFan

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »
I mostly play solo, so it isn't an issue, but the few times I played 2 person games wit hmy brother we absolutely did that.

In general, whether I like the added tension and difficulty from it regardless of other concerns, but whether or not it is actually important for your games really depends on the personalities of those involved.  It was intended to, and I feel was successful at, preventing the quarterback scenario common in cooperative games where one player wit ha dominant personality tries to control everyone elses turns.  If that isn't a problem for your players, or if it is the case but you don't mind it, feel free to ignore it.
"I will not treat your dusty path and flat,
Denoting this and that by this and that,
Your world immutable wherein no part
the little maker has with maker's art."
-Mythopoeia, J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Adika88

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 01:41:11 PM »
to be honest, i find this rule quite "useless".

When you say "I can deal with that problem, but it will be expensive, or f××king expensive, allways means: Give me four or five fate point.

Or when you play with Harry, and you say, let me Fuego the living snot out of that guy, everyone knows, they only have to kick him, to have four life left.

So yeah, we can't communicate with exact numbers, but I don't realy think it makes it harder...

But once we made a "silent game" we could talk, but nothing about the game. Now that was hard XD

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 06:02:15 AM »
Yeah, completely ignore the no talking rule. Given it says that it is to speed play, and talking can speed play, there seems no reason to use it.

(oh, did a basic review of tactics for the game, would be interested in knowing of strategies I've missed): https://fishlivejournal.livejournal.com/79982.html
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:14:14 AM by whitelaughter »
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 01:13:51 AM »
This game is too hard not to talk. Like, I'm experienced in this type of games and win maybe 2 of  7 games. Maybe this is my achilles heel, but its hard man.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?