Author Topic: A question about Warden Swords  (Read 4628 times)

Offline aikidoka

• Posty McPostington
  • I suffer from a very sexy learning disability.
    • View Profile
A question about Warden Swords
« on: July 26, 2017, 02:35:29 PM »
We know that Harry has to refresh his enchantments on his gear to keep them active. 
We know that Warden Luccio is the only one who can make the swords and is not currently able to create new ones.
Do we know if the enchantments on Warden Swords are permanent or not?
If they are not permanent, does this mean that the currently existing Warden wwords have an expiration date?
Are they personalized enough that the individual wardens can refresh them?  Can Luccio refresh them in her current body?

It would be very interesting if they had an expiration date looming, because you just know that they would start to fail at the very worst time possible.

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Checkmate." -25 star General Zapp Brannigan

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: A question about Warden Swords
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 02:47:35 PM »
Interesting thought.  According to Bob those sorts of enchantments last longer relative to the skill in the design (lets assume Luccio is pretty top-notch there) but also the Materials used with valuable materials lasting longer (unclear if they are valuable because they last long or if they last long because of their perceived value).  So lets also assume that the swords were made with the full weight of the Council's financial might behind them.  So with everything going for them, they might functionally last a damn long time even with the normal degredation.  If they can outlast the Warden they were built on, the question becomes mostly moot.  If not, it could make sense for the user (rather than Luccio) be able to handle the upkeep given the ultra-personal nature of them.  For example I dont expect Luccio to be able to use /any/ sword even though she made them all, since they are tailored to the wielder. 

Separately, there's been speculation in the past about the long-term future of the existing swords.  Per WOJ they can theoretically be given to knew users, so long as that new person is close enough in personality to the original for it to resonate properly (paraphrasing).  So if someday another jerk-nozzle like Morgan comes along with the right Fanatic'O flavor he might be able to use Morgan's old sword.  But I'd been imagining that happening generations down the line, with a store room of magic swords that occasionally get passed on to the rising stars of hte Wardens that are Lucky (or Fated) to fit them.   But you bring up a good point, they might all have wound down and stopped functioning by then. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 03:21:09 PM »
Separately, there's been speculation in the past about the long-term future of the existing swords. Per WOJ they can theoretically be given to knew users, so long as that new person is close enough in personality to the original for it to resonate properly (paraphrasing).  So if someday another jerk-nozzle like Morgan comes along with the right Fanatic'O flavor he might be able to use Morgan's old sword.  But I'd been imagining that happening generations down the line, with a store room of magic swords that occasionally get passed on to the rising stars of hte Wardens that are Lucky (or Fated) to fit them.   But you bring up a good point, they might all have wound down and stopped functioning by then.

are you trying to say that the 'sword would choose the warden?'

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 03:33:10 PM »
are you trying to say that the 'sword would choose the warden?'
Nothing so...Conscious.  Just this:

2010 Mysterious Galaxy Q&A @4:30

Will Harry get a sword?
He can't because Luccio can't make them any more.  I suppose he could use another warden's sword if he became enough like them.  Morgan's sword for example (smirk).  If he shared the same kind of psychological profile as Morgan, if he ever got beat into that shape, he could probably be able to pick up his sword and use it.  Naw Harry is more of a gun guy really. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 04:05:14 PM »
So if someday another jerk-nozzle like Morgan comes along with the right Fanatic'O flavor he might be able to use Morgan's old sword.

The curious part there is Harry eventually realized Morgan got the way he is through seeing a century-odd worth of really horrible things. He probably didn't start out as the 'burnt out cop'.

So if his personality changed over the decades to become that, did his sword adapt with him? Did Luccio have to keep retuning them as the owners' personalities changed?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 06:52:33 PM »
The curious part there is Harry eventually realized Morgan got the way he is through seeing a century-odd worth of really horrible things. He probably didn't start out as the 'burnt out cop'.

So if his personality changed over the decades to become that, did his sword adapt with him? Did Luccio have to keep retuning them as the owners' personalities changed?
Id say yes.  That's still normal Life wear and Tear, along the lines of how Harry "updated" Elaine's Name in WN.  I think the sort of shift the WOJ is talking about (what it would take for /Harry/ to use it,is more along the lines of the more complete break from your former self that it would take to get a second soulgaze on somebody.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 11:01:25 PM »
If Harry can use McCoy staff, could he also use his sword? He was warden commander, so likely he has his service sword, possibly more than one. I could see McCoy making his own sword for his Blackstaff duties.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 12:47:31 PM »
If Harry can use McCoy staff, could he also use his sword? He was warden commander, so likely he has his service sword, possibly more than one. I could see McCoy making his own sword for his Blackstaff duties.
Nope.  The staves are far more general, something most anyone can use, or at least anyone with council education.  In GS it was described as a staff "In McCoy’s style.”
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 01:16:56 AM »
What if a sword was made specificly for the warden of the well? So Harry uses his connection to the island, to allow him to wield the sword.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »
What if a sword was made specificly for the warden of the well? So Harry uses his connection to the island, to allow him to wield the sword.
Might only work on the Island then.  But you could likely fuel it by the island directly, like harry used to do with some things that only worked behind his threshold. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 04:29:04 PM »
I know what Jim said, but I'm still thinking that the enchantments placed on the swords by Luccio, tied them to the Warden they were being made for.  Specifically that the enchantment was fueled by them, so no refreshing needed.

Of course it's also possible that the enchantments go on Stand-by when the user isn't around it very long, the enchantment doesn't wear down.  Beyond Harry's ability, but not necessarily Luccio's.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 07:10:38 AM »
Some speculation, either the swords are tied to the wielder and they keep them charged by the wielder's magic/life force (a slow tiny feed) or the magic of the sword must every so many years needs to be recharged either by Luccio or the wielder. Remember, Harry had to recharge the protective spells on his coat rarely, only a couple times a year (as I remember). Luccio has more experience than Harry at enchanting.