Author Topic: Harry should Dark Hallow Demonreach.  (Read 13027 times)

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Harry should Dark Hallow Demonreach.
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »
depends heavily on your definition of 'bad' power I suppose.... I don't think its' out of the question, I'm pretty sure he IS going to use it. But unless he's in a godlike stasis between Halloweens I just don't see it not altering him.

Fair enough to be prudent of dangers, to be sure. I think he should take a wack at it though. Seems like a good way to dispose of Mab in a dumpster somewhere. It would also presumably destroy demon reach.

It is also worth wondering if Dresden would also inherit the powers from the island spirit or whatever as well.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 03:15:42 PM »
Fair enough to be prudent of dangers, to be sure. I think he should take a wack at it though. Seems like a good way to dispose of Mab in a dumpster somewhere. It would also presumably destroy demon reach.

It is also worth wondering if Dresden would also inherit the powers from the island spirit or whatever as well.
that made me laugh too, maybe I'm punch drunk and should sleep soon, no?
Destroy demon reach or just make it mobile though? That's the question for me. I'd say the island spirit IS the mantle if there were to be one, it's already wrapped around his consciousness in much the same fashion, without physical distance to separate the two the differences become less so. DR wouldn't need to manifest, Harr'y would effectively be said manifestation.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2017, 03:32:47 PM »
that made me laugh too, maybe I'm punch drunk and should sleep soon, no?
Destroy demon reach or just make it mobile though? That's the question for me. I'd say the island spirit IS the mantle if there were to be one, it's already wrapped around his consciousness in much the same fashion, without physical distance to separate the two the differences become less so. DR wouldn't need to manifest, Harr'y would effectively be said manifestation.

That makes we wonder if this was actually the purpose of demon reach. What if it isnt just a prison? What if it was compiled as some kind of power repository. I mean, we know for certain its literally the source of a ley line. What if the plan was to use the big nasties power agaisnt future big nasties? So instead of killing all this things in the reach, they were instead imprisoned to be used a power source. If not a DH, then some other method.

The the DH would be a great way to do it. And Harry has just the skull he needs to do it. And the reach conveniently is remote. And conveniently protected so that the ritual user cant be messed with.

Additionally, when the Gate keeper says is not Harry "time" this implies alot of foresight. He also seems to have a pretty good idea of when Harry might be able to use the power of DR. What if its what Harry is supposed to do in order to fight the outsiders?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2017, 03:52:29 PM »
Sorry, but broad generalizations about a wide range of separate and unrelated magic do not somehow merge into highly specific problems from Dresden in if he does a DH on DR. You can certainly speculate that they might causes problems based on experience with other magic, but asserting that it will happen in some specific manner is not a valid statement.
Yes it does, because that's how evidence-based logic works.

From the sound of it, the only thing you'll accept as evidence is an instance of this specific thing happening, which is faulty at best.

It's like if we were talking about long falls. We're all saying, "Well, I fell 10 feet and I broke my ankle. A guy I know fell 20 feet and broke both legs. Therefore, a fall of 100 feet will do serious damage to you."

Meanwhile, you're saying, "No, you can't take those general things and apply them to the specific problem. You don't know someone who fell from 100 feet specifically, I can argue that you'll be perfectly fine after falling 100 feet."

Let's break it down again: Absorbing power from something else gives you traits of that something else. This is observed several times, across different methods, so we can logically conclude it is just something that happens when you absorb power no matter how you absorb it.

The more powerful the thing you absorb is, the more it will affect you. That's just plain logic.

The Darkhallow is absorbing power en masse.

Ergo, absorbing obscenely powerful things en masse through the Darkhallow is going to affect someone.

Not good enough is perfectly fine if what you are saying is not good enough. Everything you are saying simply implies the possibility of a problem. Not its certainty. To state a certainty you need specifics.

I am very much arguing in good faith. I am not trolling you. You cant just provide vague generalities and act as if they are cosmic proof of your highly specific assertions.
Tautologies aren't going to get you anywhere. We're taking the well-established rules of the setting and applying them to the problem. Not "vague generalities." We're providing specific instances of people absorbing power and how it affects them, and you're ignoring the explicit, logical links.

You're the one proposing an idea that runs contrary to what we've observed and been told about the setting by several sources, author included. We shouldn't have to sit here trying to prove that gravity is a thing just because you want to argue that flapping your arms will let you fly.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2017, 03:56:38 PM »
Weighing in on the "you are what you eat" argument --- I am definitely on the "it will affect you".   Almost every instance of power granted has an impact on the personality of the person -- from winter power to using dark magic to breaking the laws of magic to fueling your power with anger to going vampire.   All that dark energy would totally turn Harry majorly dark.

But I think you are missing other very critical criteria that would make Dark Hallow Demonreach a problematic idea.
1) Gods are not humans.  No idea if the ritual would even work with non-humans.   
2) Gods are not humans.  Even if it could work, the gods are perfectly capable of guarding their power and NOT letting it be pulled out into the funnel.  If the power is not in the funnel, it cannot be part of the darkhallow.
3) Gods have mantles.  Not clear that mantles can transfer via darkhallow even if the individual (who is the god) could be killed and their native power absorbed by the darkhallow. 
3) You would have to let the prisoners out before they could be consumed by the darkhallow.  it would take these beings about 1 nanosecond to destroy harry, end the ritual and leave to destroy the world. 

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2017, 04:08:34 PM »
Yes it does, because that's how evidence-based logic works.

From the sound of it, the only thing you'll accept as evidence is an instance of this specific thing happening, which is faulty at best.

It's like if we were talking about long falls. We're all saying, "Well, I fell 10 feet and I broke my ankle. A guy I know fell 20 feet and broke both legs. Therefore, a fall of 100 feet will do serious damage to you."

Meanwhile, you're saying, "No, you can't take those general things and apply them to the specific problem. You don't know someone who fell from 100 feet specifically, I can argue that you'll be perfectly fine after falling 100 feet."

Let's break it down again: Absorbing power from something else gives you traits of that something else. This is observed several times, across different methods, so we can logically conclude it is just something that happens when you absorb power no matter how you absorb it.

The more powerful the thing you absorb is, the more it will affect you. That's just plain logic.

The Darkhallow is absorbing power en masse.

Ergo, absorbing obscenely powerful things en masse through the Darkhallow is going to affect someone.
Tautologies aren't going to get you anywhere. We're taking the well-established rules of the setting and applying them to the problem. Not "vague generalities." We're providing specific instances of people absorbing power and how it affects them, and you're ignoring the explicit, logical links.

You're the one proposing an idea that runs contrary to what we've observed and been told about the setting by several sources, author included. We shouldn't have to sit here trying to prove that gravity is a thing just because you want to argue that flapping your arms will let you fly.

Nope. Thats not how evidence based logic works.

That is about the worst analogy I have ever heard. A long fall for a human has specific and measurable physics to it. And the problems of all falls are the same. Sufficient mass falls a sufficient speed and hits sufficient resistance at the bottom. Given a specific mode landing, we can calculate absolutely the results.

What you are insinuating is more like saying that since combat in war sometimes causes mental trauma, ALL traumatic events what-so-ever will necessarily have the same effect.

Which is absurd.

The only thing the evidence from the books suggests is that sometimes magic can cause ill affects to the user that might affect their demeanor.

But that does not give you carte blanche to apply this concept to every single situation you think it might apply and act as if this somehow dictates it as a certainty. That is absolutely illogical.

All I proposed is that Harry could do the DH, which is not incidentally what you are countering. You are asserting in the positive that doing such a thing would, without a doubt, alter Harry. Prove it. Simple as that. That is on you. I do NOT have to disprove your conjecture. Logic 101. Until you provide absolute proof that doing the DH on DR would, without the shadow of any doubt alter Harry, then your point is MOOT.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2017, 04:12:12 PM »
You're completely misrepresenting my, and everyone else's, arguments.

That's what I mean when I say you're not arguing in good faith. What you just wrote twists my meaning around and calls it absurd.

So far you still have not provided any backing for your claim that Harry would be fine after absorbing, once again, dozens and dozens of dark gods from Demonreach, when the books and WOJ are very clear that absorbing power from any source affects you.

It's clear at this point that no matter what anyone brings against your idea as evidence, you're just going to dismiss it in the same manner.

We've proven our point. That you refuse to accept the evidence does not disprove it.

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2017, 04:17:22 PM »
You're completely misrepresenting my, and everyone else's, arguments.

That's what I mean when I say you're not arguing in good faith. What you just wrote twists my meaning around and calls it absurd.

So far you still have not provided any backing for your claim that Harry would be fine after absorbing, once again, dozens and dozens of dark gods from Demonreach, when the books and WOJ are very clear that absorbing power from any source affects you.

It's clear at this point that no matter what anyone brings against your idea as evidence, you're just going to dismiss it in the same manner.

We've proven our point. That you refuse to accept the evidence does not disprove it.

Sorry, but I can only represent your argument based on what you type.

I dont have to back that claim. If there is no specific evidence that it would happen, then I can assume it will not. This is how logic works. It is not incumbent upon me to assume things. My assertion is not an assertion. It is the absence of one.

By your own words just now, I must assume the DH will alter Harry unless I prove it wont. Which is crazy.

The assertion is moot. Anything could happen. Harry might not be altered. Or he might be. Or he might die. Who knows. Its one thing entirely to worry about the risk, and another thing entirely to insinuate that everyone else must give in to your assumption just because you said it.

Also thats not how a debate works. Im not obligated to stop dismissing your arguments on account that you can keep making them. Good Grief.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 04:19:09 PM by Shift8 »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2017, 04:26:27 PM »
No, by my own words, we know that absorbing power affects the person doing the absorbing.

We've seen it happen. We've been told by WOJ that it happens. We've been told by characters that it happens. It happened when Harry absorbs the power of a two-bit sorcerer who's considerably weaker than Harry himself.

You are suggesting that Harry absorb power from dozens, if not hundreds of beings each of whom is individually stronger than Harry by a magnitude and saying that won't affect him.

It's not an "assumption." It's the logical conclusion supported by facts and direct evidence from the books.

It's like you're saying that because you haven't seen direct evidence of someone eating 200 pounds of twinkies, it's only an assumption that they're going to gain weight from it and that "anything might happen."

It is immensely frustrating and frankly insulting when we go through the books, find direct evidence to prove our point, cite WOJ, and you dismiss it with, "Nah, it's just your assumption," when you have done nothing to prove your point except dismiss our arguments.

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2017, 04:35:27 PM »
No, by my own words, we know that absorbing power affects the person doing the absorbing.

We've seen it happen. We've been told by WOJ that it happens. We've been told by characters that it happens. It happened when Harry absorbs the power of a two-bit sorcerer who's considerably weaker than Harry himself.

You are suggesting that Harry absorb power from dozens, if not hundreds of beings each of whom is individually stronger than Harry by a magnitude and saying that won't affect him.

It's not an "assumption." It's the logical conclusion supported by facts and direct evidence from the books.

It's like you're saying that because you haven't seen direct evidence of someone eating 200 pounds of twinkies, it's only an assumption that they're going to gain weight from it and that "anything might happen."

It is immensely frustrating and frankly insulting when we go through the books, find direct evidence to prove our point, cite WOJ, and you dismiss it with, "Nah, it's just your assumption," when you have done nothing to prove your point except dismiss our arguments.

If you find it insulting that I dont see your point of view, then I cant help you. What is far more frustrating is that you seem to equate your ability to type a post equivalent to proof per se.

Absorbing power is not a monolith. You are assuming its a monolith. We know from the books that not all power absorption's are the same. For example, the WK mantle influences Harry, but it doesn't force him. On the other hand, power gained by becoming a Red Vampire is a complete change of nature that strips the user of free will.

Also lets not forget that Harry got as powerful as he is from his Godmother. And he is still Harry, free to choose. Seemingly with no ill effects at all actually.

And again, bad analogy. You are basically stating that since eating twinkies makes on fat, then the eating of all foods must make one fat. So eating 200 Twinkies is the same as drinking a gallon of water, or eating 200 celery. Just as eating all food is not the same, not all power absorption is the same, and not all methods of power absorption are the same.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2017, 04:40:24 PM »
How about instead of folks yelling at each other about imaginary shit, I just shut this thread down.

If you can't be civil to one another, leave the forum.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/