Poll

Butcher Battle 17#: Tavi vs Nicodemus

R1 (Option 1)- Tavi outgambits Nicodemus
5 (23.8%)
R1 (Option 2) - Nicodemus shows the kid what 2,000 years of intellect looks like
0 (0%)
R2 (Option 1) - Tavi rescues Archive, Marcone and takes down Nicodemus even better than Harry
4 (19%)
R2 (Option 2)- Nicodemus cleans house.
0 (0%)
R3 (Option 1)- Tavi does the impossible and finishes off Nicodemus
6 (28.6%)
R3- (Option 2) - Nicodemus kills Tavi before the young Aleran can capitalize on his advantages
0 (0%)
R4- (Option 1) - Tavi proves to be the better chessmaster
5 (23.8%)
R4 - (Option 2) - Nicodemus, in a full sweep.
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Butcher Battle 17#: Tavi vs Nicodemus  (Read 7141 times)

Offline Thatguywhocomesaround

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Butcher Battle 17#: Tavi vs Nicodemus
« on: July 19, 2017, 09:35:17 PM »
Tavi and Nicodemus sqaure up against one another in a composite universe. (As in DF - Alera crossover world or something).

Nicodemus has knowledge of Tavi's past and is aware of his extreme intellect. So assume Nicodemus is taking precautions. Tavi, in turn, is aware of the temptation Nicodemus can offer and his fearsome reputation. Obviously, assume both men have knowledge of magic, furies, modern world, Alera world, and all.

Both have equal knowledge of this fusion setting.

Both may gain more knowledge of each other within their three combat encounters in the same way Harry and Nic have.

Tavi HAS Fury Crafting

R1
Tavi replaces Harry in Death Masks.

Can he outwit a Nicodemus, survive and foil his plan?

R2

Tavi replaces Harry in Small Favor

Can he outwit Nicodemus, survive and foil his plan?

R3

Tavi replaces Harry in Skin Game

Can he manage to get into the vault, stay true to Mab's word, outwit Nicodemus and survive?

NOTE - Assume in all three rounds that Tavi has the same help and friends Harry did and Nicodemus has the same resources in Death Masks, Small Favor, and Skin Gam respectively.

R4

Neither men have any knowledge of each other, both get one week prep to learn what they can and then play in Chess. Who wins?

Note- Assume Tavi knows the game of Chess of course
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:49:16 AM by Thatguywhocomesaround »

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Butcher Battle 17#: Tavi vs Nicodemus
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:49:27 PM »
Tavi has no Fury Crafting
In other words, can a vanilla mortal that happens to be moderately intelligent defeat a 2,000 year old immortal that's immune to physical damage, has the knowledge of a fallen angel, has the power to manipulate shadows, has at least a dozen mortal servants and a few demonic creatures, and has anywhere from three to a dozen fellow fallen angels working with him in any given book? 

>:(

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:13:10 PM »
In other words, can a vanilla mortal that happens to be moderately intelligent defeat a 2,000 year old immortal that's immune to physical damage, has the knowledge of a fallen angel, has the power to manipulate shadows, has at least a dozen mortal servants and a few demonic creatures, and has anywhere from three to a dozen fellow fallen angels working with him in any given book? 

Recall, Tavi has Harry's resources. Knights of the Cross, Murphy, Thomas, Kincaid, and may move them and use them to his advantage as he wants. I can turn on Fury Crafting but I figured Tavi would sweep with that. What do you think?

Also, Tavi is quite a bit above moderate intellect.  I do believe you aren't giving him enough credit in that area.

Also, there is more to defeating someone than killing them. This is not a straight up meet in a ring fight as other battles are I've done. I mean that works but there are other ways. Marcone managed to use his intellect (with help of course) against Nicodemus and survived a physical encounter with him. Harry has also used his intelligence to outgambit Nicodemus.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:18:53 PM by Thatguywhocomesaround »

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:41:58 PM »
Recall, Tavi has Harry's resources. Knights of the Cross, Murphy, Thomas, Kincaid, and may move them and use them to his advantage as he wants. I can turn on Fury Crafting but I figured Tavi would sweep with that. What do you think?

Also, Tavi is quite a bit above moderate intellect.  I do believe you aren't giving him enough credit in that area.

Also, there is more to defeating someone than killing them. This is not a straight up meet in a ring fight as other battles are I've done. I mean that works but there are other ways. Marcone managed to use his intellect (with help of course) against Nicodemus and survived a physical encounter with him. Harry has also used his intelligence to outgambit Nicodemus.
Without Furycrafting, Tavi wouldn't stand a chance in a single fight. 

Furycrafting would more or less even the playing field.  But it wouldn't be a guaranteed win for him. 

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 11:15:43 PM »
Without Furycrafting, Tavi wouldn't stand a chance in a single fight. 

Furycrafting would more or less even the playing field.  But it wouldn't be a guaranteed win for him. 

An average Citizens Furycrafting maybe. Tavi's Furycrafting on the other hand takes it from a stomp for Nick to a stomp for Tavi.

Seriously, End-of-Series Tavi was OP.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 11:51:05 PM »
An average Citizens Furycrafting maybe. Tavi's Furycrafting on the other hand takes it from a stomp for Nick to a stomp for Tavi.

Seriously, End-of-Series Tavi was OP.
Unless I'm completely misremembering, Tavi had a lot of power, and very little finesse, other than his flight.  He could blow things apart, but that's not what a hero would do in the scenarios Harry found himself in when fighting the Denarians.

There are Innocents present in almost every fight.  There's no mention of having Kitai present to help keep him calm and in control, and I was under the impression that she was the one with finesse. 

Short of the Island fight, there's not all that much space for Tavi to cut loose.  And even then, Demonreach might show up to fight Tavi, if he thinks he's attacking the Well.

I think the circumstances, and Nico's foreknowledge of Tavi's capabilities, are enough to level the playing field.

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 12:43:07 AM »
What s great match up.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 12:49:52 AM »
Alright, Furycrafting added.

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 12:55:07 AM »
I don't think we saw Tavi be delicate because his dramatic situations didn't require it.  But he used veils easily, and Amara singled those out as delicate. He did the weathercrafting along the Wall so circumspect that people didn't realize it was furycrafting.

But I think furycrafting's combat strength is in evocation and in a fast moving fight, Tavi is both better trained and more suited than Dresden.

I'd need to reread the books, but Tavi in SG murders Nico in the underworld.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 01:50:47 AM »
I don't think we saw Tavi be delicate because his dramatic situations didn't require it.  But he used veils easily, and Amara singled those out as delicate. He did the weathercrafting along the Wall so circumspect that people didn't realize it was furycrafting.

But I think furycrafting's combat strength is in evocation and in a fast moving fight, Tavi is both better trained and more suited than Dresden.

I'd need to reread the books, but Tavi in SG murders Nico in the underworld.
I thought there was a time he needed to knock down a fort entrance, and knocked down it and all the stonework around it. 

That's how I'm remembering him.  Eb's power with Harry's conscience.  Tavi could blow Chitchen Itza apart, but he'd worry about hitting the blood slaves stored in cages at the base.

As for the fight in Hades, I suppose it depends on what Fury powers were available.  Water, wind, and wood would be scarce to draw from.  Fire was present, but only for illumination.  Metal was present, but mostly as coins and such.  But there'd be an abundance of earth.

Short of crushing Nico, it'd be a tough fight.  Especially considering Nico's got tricks with his shadow that can keep him off the ground.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:58:44 AM »
Sorry people. I ask forgiveness for the intrusion but I'll drop this here because there are people who never visits the "story of us" section. And it's for a real good cause. Please spread the word and forgive me the intrusion, I'll delete this post if someone complains-

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,49919.msg2284038.html#new
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 04:37:52 AM »

Maybe the poster changed the post but I don't see anything about Tavi not having Fury crafting.  He specifically says he HAS Fury crafting.

If Tavi has Fury crafting he absolutely destroys Nicodemus.  I haven't seen anything from Nicodemus to indicate he would last more than a few moments against Tavi.  Super human strength from his earth fury, super human speed with a sword or any metal, fire, water manipulation, healing, flight, wind manipulation, wood manipulation.  He has a lot of tools and he doesn't require a blasting rod or any focus objects.

Unless I'm completely misremembering, Tavi had a lot of power, and very little finesse

By the end of the book he was very much in control of his abilities.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:43:41 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 05:36:25 AM »
WELP THIS ONE WAS A BUST!

I liked the chess match, though

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 12:37:09 PM »
I'd put my money on Tavi in every respect when he compares to Harry.

So it's actually a no-brainer imo. Harry managed to win all three encounters. Tavi is going to destroy the evil b*.

The chess game should be interesting, though. But I think Tavi might win that one too.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 03:50:13 PM »
Which Tavi are we talking about?  At the end of the series or say during PF?

The reason I'm asking is that in PF, Tavi has Alera at his elbow.  With Alera he could do a whole lot more than just fury crafting.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---