Author Topic: Water Magic Application  (Read 3951 times)

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Water Magic Application
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:27:41 PM »
While there has been examples of elemental combat magic  throughout the series that Harry and others has used, water magic has not been seen in detail. Do you think with enough time and preparation he could use the entropy/disintegration blasts that Carlos uses, and in the case of the premier water mage in the world does Listen to Winds use a similar form of offensive water magic?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Water Magic Application
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:47:52 PM »
It's possible for Earth, Wind, and Fire, so I have to think it's equally as common with Water.  Harry in particular might have issued wrapping his head around any advanced Water magic simply because his talents naturally lean toward Fire, but I couldnt say.  In general I always default to the idea that any Council wizard has sufficient natural talent and training to mimic any spell with enough time and training, whether that training is to increase total magical Muscle so a weaker practitioner can pull the heavy lifting stuff like Harry, or Harry learning subtlety and control to do the stuff that comes naturally to certain others. Eventually.  But how much Time and Training is a whole other question, one that will be very situational. 

That being said I dont think LTW in particular would be any more likely to do any kind of gross "water-bending" than Carlos; he's a Water Mage because Shapeshifting (and I also think his brand of Healing magics) are considered Water Magic, but I dont honestly know how much that sort of skill would translate to literal liquid manipulation. 

Fwiw, I suspect the tree manipulation magic we saw briefly in DB is also an example of Water Magic. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 10:56:17 PM »
While the comics are of questionable continuity Listen to Winds did use a tree branch to trip up a mortal in Dog Man, and he does seem to apply counter magic as his forte, using magical energy against its user. Carlos did something similar in Cold Days so that seems to be its more advanced form, I was under the impression that Carlos using his green blasts was like Harry using Fuego hence my thought that was the common offensive application of water magic.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:59:35 PM »
It's possible for Earth, Wind, and Fire, so I have to think it's equally as common with Water.  Harry in particular might have issued wrapping his head around any advanced Water magic simply because his talents naturally lean toward Fire, but I couldnt say.  In general I always default to the idea that any Council wizard has sufficient natural talent and training to mimic any spell with enough time and training, whether that training is to increase total magical Muscle so a weaker practitioner can pull the heavy lifting stuff like Harry, or Harry learning subtlety and control to do the stuff that comes naturally to certain others. Eventually.  But how much Time and Training is a whole other question, one that will be very situational. 

That being said I dont think LTW in particular would be any more likely to do any kind of gross "water-bending" than Carlos; he's a Water Mage because Shapeshifting (and I also think his brand of Healing magics) are considered Water Magic, but I dont honestly know how much that sort of skill would translate to literal liquid manipulation. 

Fwiw, I suspect the tree manipulation magic we saw briefly in DB is also an example of Water Magic.
He makes it rain on top of a fricken hill in TC, and you don't think he would be capable of grossly manipulating water? Think about how much energy and how fast he had to pull it all together to do that? Had to take some mad skillz.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:50:49 PM »
He makes it rain on top of a fricken hill in TC, and you don't think he would be capable of grossly manipulating water? Think about how much energy and how fast he had to pull it all together to do that? Had to take some mad skillz.
Good catch, Id forgetten the two examples from TC.  The rain started as 100% natural with him calling/focusing a sheet of it for defense, So it's not like he summoned it from nothing.  But there was also the geyser of water Harry created during the Sanctum Invocation which Id also entirely forgotten about that, so yes we do have examples of gross water-bending style manipulation. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 03:24:38 PM »
Harry has explained in the past that any member of the council has a general foundation in all of the disciplines with in the magical arena.  Harry CAN do all of the elements, but is best with fire and air.

I'd love to see him do more non-fire/air magic.  Seeing different application is really cool.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »
Harry has explained in the past that any member of the council has a general foundation in all of the disciplines with in the magical arena.  Harry CAN do all of the elements, but is best with fire and air.

I'd love to see him do more non-fire/air magic.  Seeing different application is really cool.
I'd like to see him combine his two strengths for more physics based combustion magic, compress a ball of air and then set it on fire for more 'bang' for less buck, ya?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 10:12:11 PM »
Me too.  After all, Tavi did it.   :)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 10:40:37 PM »

What book did he say this if you don't mind me asking? I am looking for anything on the senior council before we see them let loose hopefully in Peace Talks?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 07:11:35 AM »
Me too.  After all, Tavi did it.   :)
Ah? I had know idea, never read them. Sure they're probably awesome. Honestly though I haven't read anything butcher in almost a year now ;-/ 

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 12:02:11 PM »
Ah? I had know idea, never read them. Sure they're probably awesome. Honestly though I haven't read anything butcher in almost a year now ;-/
They are amazing, and literally each book is better than that the one before it.  Which was weird, but kinda cool. 

What book did he say this if you don't mind me asking? I am looking for anything on the senior council before we see them let loose hopefully in Peace Talks?
I dont know of a statement that was directed at the entire Council specifically.  But Harry had made it a point of making sure molly was comfortable with elements even if she wasnt talented at them (it resulted in the blowdryer spell used in SmF) and in Changes Harry mentioned a similar circumstance were "Ebenezar had in­sist­ed that I learn at least one very use­ful, if enor­mous­ly tax­ing, spell with earth mag­ic."  But it's possible that this is their mentality but not the COuncil's as a whole.

The only thing I can recall that was actually stated to be standard education was in DB when they said nearly every apprentices first textbook is McCoy's: 
Quote from: DB Ch 7
There were very few volumes that addressed magic in its most elemental sense, as a pure source of energy, the way I'd been taught about it. One of the notable exceptions was Elementary Magic by Ebenezar McCoy. It was the first book most wizards ever handed an apprentice. It dealt with the nuts and bolts of moving energy around, and stressed the need for control and responsibility on behalf of the wizard.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 06:56:35 PM »
They are amazing, and literally each book is better than that the one before it.  Which was weird, but kinda cool. 

I dont know of a statement that was directed at the entire Council specifically.  But Harry had made it a point of making sure molly was comfortable with elements even if she wasnt talented at them (it resulted in the blowdryer spell used in SmF) and in Changes Harry mentioned a similar circumstance were "Ebenezar had in­sist­ed that I learn at least one very use­ful, if enor­mous­ly tax­ing, spell with earth mag­ic."  But it's possible that this is their mentality but not the COuncil's as a whole.

The only thing I can recall that was actually stated to be standard education was in DB when they said nearly every apprentices first textbook is McCoy's:

You're right.  Other teachers may not require that broad of an education.  But it's a good idea.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---