Author Topic: Mirror Mirror Opportunties  (Read 11893 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror Mirror Opportunties
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 12:20:40 PM »
Goddammit, now I'm imagining her as a MC in a bad Paranormal Romance novel.
Only now?  Thats more or less how I always imagined days at Casa Wraith. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 05:57:17 PM »
Oh I'm pretty confident you're right and we will find out some interesting things about Marcone.

Why?  Do you think Mirror Harry went to work for Marcone?  It's not like there will be a different Marcone.  The split in timelines occurred near the end of book three.  Marcone was already Marcone by then.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks everyone else will be so different.  Different choices will have been made, but the basic characters will remain.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 08:17:44 PM »
Why?  Do you think Mirror Harry went to work for Marcone?  It's not like there will be a different Marcone.  The split in timelines occurred near the end of book three.  Marcone was already Marcone by then.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks everyone else will be so different.  Different choices will have been made, but the basic characters will remain.

The WoJ again

Actually the character that's really interesting is the Mirror Mirror universe Marcone, and we'll get to him in a few books.

My reading of this is that Jim is implying MM Marcone is not the same character as the standard universe Marcone, and that the differences are "really interesting"

I have very specific, bad ass theories on some of those differences.

As we get closer to MM, I'm going to start using the term MMcone. 

Kinda like Harry Yrrah for MM Harry and TTH for time traveling Harry. 
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 01:18:21 PM »
The WoJ again

My reading of this is that Jim is implying MM Marcone is not the same character as the standard universe Marcone, and that the differences are "really interesting"

I have very specific, bad ass theories on some of those differences.

As we get closer to MM, I'm going to start using the term MMcone. 

Kinda like Harry Yrrah for MM Harry and TTH for time traveling Harry.
Maybe Marcone not being the same character is because He uses his real name there and not John Marcone eh? then by the laws of naming he wouldn't be the same person at all, just same body and history lol?
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 04:12:20 PM »
Maybe Marcone not being the same character is because He uses his real name there and not John Marcone eh? then by the laws of naming he wouldn't be the same person at all, just same body and history lol?
Nah, he was using the Name prior to the divergence point, so its at least still part of his history, and by the metaphysics of Naming I think one alias is as good as another. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 04:28:17 PM »
Nah, he was using the Name prior to the divergence point, so its at least still part of his history, and by the metaphysics of Naming I think one alias is as good as another.
I won't argue the metaphysics of Naming with you, I'm too tired lol. but is Santa equivalent to Odin or Vadderrung? not in the metaphysical sense.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 04:35:18 PM »
I won't argue the metaphysics of Naming with you, I'm too tired lol. but is Santa equivalent to Odin or Vadderrung? not in the metaphysical sense.
I have no idea what you are trying to say here.  I just meant that, per Even Hand, "Marcone" is not his real Name, it's an alias.  And we know that the divergence point for the MM was somewhere in GP, meaning by that time He'd already been using the name Marcone.  So I dont see how Changing from one Alias to another would change anything, since Mantles are a whole other thing than Names (or at least a much more extreme example*).

*I have a theory that Mantles are what happens when a Name gains enough power to exist independantly without the other 5-6 parts of the Self (like a Body or Spirit).  This is based on the Egyptian framework where the Name is one of the primary aspects of the Self right up there with you Chi and Soul and Body, etc (as compared to the 3-part body/spirit/soul model that Bob and Harry were debating).

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »
I'm saying Marcone the name has all kinds of connections to who he is, even the very inflection of it can change who he is, that's why he always gets erkked at Harry when he calls him john, he's hitting that tiny tuning fork.
The choice to change your name is to try and change your identity associations. If he switched back to his original name he'd effectively be giving up the notion of crime lord Jonny Marcone, his sense of self. He would in effect be a whole different person. A person he gave up on being once before.

*its an effective theory to utilize.
**sweet ambrosia, COFFEE!

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 04:48:49 PM »
I'm saying Marcone the name has all kinds of connections to who he is, even the very inflection of it can change who he is, that's why he always gets erkked at Harry when he calls him john, he's hitting that tiny tuning fork.
The choice to change your name is to try and change your identity associations. If he switched back to his original name he'd effectively be giving up the notion of crime lord Jonny Marcone, his sense of self. He would in effect be a whole different person. A person he gave up on being once before.

*its an effective theory to utilize.
**sweet ambrosia, COFFEE!
OK , I see where you are going now.  If IM reading you correct you are arguing that an alias, if used long enough (or maybe accepted into your identity deep enough) will eventually MAKE said alias into your True Name.  I dont think I disagree with that, since Marriage is a thing and Im sure Charity considers her Name to be Carpenter.  I guess I think Marcone actually, honestly, still views "Marcone" as a mask he wheres, a character as a defensive wall he needs for survival, rather than his true self.  Im basing this off my impressions from Even Hand and off the scene in WN when Harry appealed to his decency rather than his greed or pride or any of the levers he normally willing to knowledge. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 03:28:54 AM »
Justine certainly seems like supernatural bait for some reason.

Partly, I think that's a side-effect of her mental condition.  Emotions are tied to life-energy and magic in the DV, that's part of why Justine is or was once able to actually benefit from Thomas feeding on her (in moderation).

I have a hunch that a lot of creatures would find Justine's mental state 'appealing'.  Which doesn't mean that there are not other reasons, too, of course.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 12:27:11 PM »
Partly, I think that's a side-effect of her mental condition.  Emotions are tied to life-energy and magic in the DV, that's part of why Justine is or was once able to actually benefit from Thomas feeding on her (in moderation).

I have a hunch that a lot of creatures would find Justine's mental state 'appealing'.  Which doesn't mean that there are not other reasons, too, of course.
Im leaning in the other direction, I think we're going to see some unforseen long-term effects of Thomas and Justine's unique relationship.  Especially now that they're constantly imparting and unbinding the True Love protections in cycles.  Im pretty sure that plus her active "dietician" program for Thomas is going to move the needle of his diet away from Lust.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »

Same book she's introduced it talks about what makes someone vulnerable to possession. (heck she pretty much acts possessed) a dozen books later and Thomas has eaten nearly her whole life at one point. She's now cured, but him? perhaps the reason why he's able to change his diet at all is a big eaten gob of Nemfactor from Justine? We've seen heard you are what you eat become mantra here. but what happens to those things that eat Nfection?

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 03:02:47 AM »
Im leaning in the other direction, I think we're going to see some unforseen long-term effects of Thomas and Justine's unique relationship.  Especially now that they're constantly imparting and unbinding the True Love protections in cycles.  Im pretty sure that plus her active "dietician" program for Thomas is going to move the needle of his diet away from Lust.

Toward what?  The most common alternatives in the Court are fear and despair.  I don't know that I would call either an improvement.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 04:08:55 AM »
Toward what?  The most common alternatives in the Court are fear and despair.  I don't know that I would call either an improvement.

The three families of the White Court feed on different emotions, is that like knife, spoon, fork, or can they mix it up?
They can mix it up, and it’s one of the things they fight about a lot, about what they do.  There’s all this “you are what you eat” sort of thing in play, and the different houses have different aspects [unintelligible] divide things up by territory.  And you could feed on all sorts of stuff.  You could probably be a White Court vampire that fed on the warm happy feeling that people get when they’re holding a puppy.  Although you’d be a really….you’d probably sparkle if you did that.  [Unintelligible] it might actually be fun to show that in some future files.

Hopefully Jim will do this- make Thomas a sparkly vampire.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 04:32:13 AM »
Hopefully Jim will do this- make Thomas a sparkly vampire.

LOL - Sacrilege!
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx