Author Topic: Mirror Mirror Opportunties  (Read 11887 times)

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Mirror Mirror Opportunties
« on: July 17, 2017, 08:55:53 PM »
The plot of Mirror Mirror sounds like a good story idea, but it also sounds like a great way to give Harry advance notice of information about his own world that he would otherwise not know.   It gives him an edge in future books.

Example #1:  What if Harry got involved (during mirror mirror) with the government agency focused on the supernatural.  He would find out some of their leaders, some contact information, locations and maybe who their local "man" on the street is -- which by the way I think is Stallings... :)

Then in some future book, Harry can just call their chief of operations by name and number and demand assistance.   He gets to freak them out (how did he know???), give off all sorts of "I am a wizard and I have mysterious sources of knowledge" vibes and get some great verbal moments.  Something similar to when he messed with one of the einjaren at Marcone's place at the end of Skin Game -- using knowledge he gained as a ghost in Ghost Story.   

Alternatively, Harry can find out some secret about his companions.  Maybe one is sick or has an unusual relative. 

Alternately, Harry can identify one of his companions as nemfected, with obvious implications. 

Any other good opportunities for Harry to gain knowledge in Mirror Mirror in order to look Bad-Ass Wise in later books back in his own world?

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror Mirror Opportunties
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:11:09 PM »
Maybe one is sick or has an unusual relative. 
Alternately, Harry can identify one of his companions as nemfected, with obvious implications. 

Like what the 'something significant about Justine's background that Thomas knows but Harry doesn't' actually is.

Though with divergent histories, it's possible for someone to be N-fected in one universe but not the other.

Offline Azmodel

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:08:04 AM »
Though with divergent histories, it's possible for someone to be N-fected in one universe but not the other.

^This. Any "knowledge" gained in the other world may not have a direct read across to Harry's own world.

Assuming the world itself is the same (i.e. the sky is blue, grass is green, magic and physics all works as advertised, Chicago is, well, Chicago) the only way we'll know something is different in the mirror world is when we see a known character acting out of character compared to Harry's reality.

What we won't know is whether they are acting differently because of different choices made/circumstances in the mirror realm, or because in Harry's world they're covert whereas in the mirror realm they are overt in their actions/alignment.

And as dspringer1 says, just because Michael is N-fected in the mirror world, doesn't mean he is in Harry's regular reality, any more than if he's got a broken leg in the mirror world you'd expect to see him in a cast when Harry returns to his regular time and place. (PS Michael's N-fection was a for-instance... not some crazy tinfoil hat WAG!)

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:17:10 AM »
The plot of Mirror Mirror sounds like a good story idea, but it also sounds like a great way to give Harry advance notice of information about his own world that he would otherwise not know.   It gives him an edge in future books.
I'm pretty sure that's the point of the book in the overall plot-arc. My guess would be that he finds out what's really up with the so-called Black Council, who's a member and what they think they want.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 03:05:48 PM »
Yup - parallel worlds are not proof.   But they probably give enough info such that Harry can investigate and confirm things on his own one way or another.

Comment on Justine is not known to me.  Where do we get the hint that Justine has some hidden background?   Not surprised, just not familiar with the details. 

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 03:24:59 PM »
Comment on Justine is not known to me.  Where do we get the hint that Justine has some hidden background?   Not surprised, just not familiar with the details.
Im not aware of anything like that either?  I distantly recall somebody tossing out a theory that Justine and Charity might be related due to vague similarities in their backgrounds (ie wealthy, overbearing parents).
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 03:47:45 PM »

I don't have the source anymore, just going off a vague recollection. Might have been one of the AMA's, but I'm not positive.

The WOJ itself wasn't super specific. The gist was just that there's something about Justine's parentage that Harry doesn't know but Thomas does - it didn't narrow down whether she was a changeling or her parents were some sort of VIP's in mortal society or something else entirely.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »
I think there will be some information on Marcone that Harry isn't aware of based on what Jim has said.  Harry is very guilty I think about the Red Court, and Susan.  He might see things in this reality that make him realize that the alternative was much worse.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 07:35:22 PM »
I think there will be some information on Marcone that Harry isn't aware of based on what Jim has said.  Harry is very guilty I think about the Red Court, and Susan.  He might see things in this reality that make him realize that the alternative was much worse.

I certainly hope so.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 08:20:45 PM »

Oh I'm pretty confident you're right and we will find out some interesting things about Marcone.

Quote from: WoJ from KC signing
Actually the character that's really interesting is the Mirror Mirror universe Marcone, and we'll get to him in a few books.

I think we will also find out some stuff about Mavra since he said this during last year's Reddit podcast:

Quote from: WoJ
When are we going to see Mavra again?
Um... 19?  *pondering*  Wait, I'm sorry we'll definitely see her in Mirror Mirror.  She's a fast ally of Dresden's in Mirror Mirror.

I'm in agreement with Zaphodess though in that Mirror Mirror will reveal a lot about the "Black Council" that will then translate into vital intel when Harry gets back to his home reality. 
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 08:36:20 PM »
Oh I'm pretty confident you're right and we will find out some interesting things about Marcone.
*coughcough*Fidelacchius*hackcouch*

Sorry, something in my throat  ;)

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 10:04:50 PM »
I think it would be fun if Harry realized "Cujo" was a sensitive and caring soul as Marone hints at during one of the short stories. 

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 10:13:34 PM »
I think it would be fun if Harry realized "Cujo" was a sensitive and caring soul as Marone hints at during one of the short stories.
Not just sensitive and caring, but HIGHLY educated.  I picture one day them all trying to figure out some obscure lore and he busts into the conversation by quoting long passages of Epic Poetry. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 11:43:26 PM »
Justine certainly seems like supernatural bait for some reason.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 11:48:50 PM »
Justine certainly seems like supernatural bait for some reason.

Goddammit, now I'm imagining her as a MC in a bad Paranormal Romance novel.