Author Topic: Applying a new coat of paint  (Read 3155 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Applying a new coat of paint
« on: July 17, 2017, 06:51:03 PM »
Jim has said that he likes to take a story idea, and give it a new coat of paint.  I wanted to start a discussion about which book, movie, tv show ideas you could see Jim using in the Dresden series.

I was thinking he might take the idea of a horcrux idea from the Harry Potter series.  The idea that you can place a piece of your soul into something, giving you an anchor to the mortal world to prevent death.  I think that the blue print could already be there with Mantle's, soulfire, and things like that.  I was thinking that maybe this is how Cowl can defend himself from a death curse.  What do you think?  What idea's do you think Jim might use in the future parts of the series?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline ebliss1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Applying a new coat of paint
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 07:04:34 PM »
A Dresdenverse version of "Who's the Boss?".

Mab has another child, and commands her Knight to move in with her to help raise it. Fearing for her safety if he is in Arctis Tor too long, Harry brings Maggie along with (because its totally safe now that he made his birthday examples of the Redcap's minion and that loudmouthed Sidhe noble. Harry would be in the Tony Danza role. Maggie would be in the Alyssa Milano Role. Mab would be in the Judith Light role. Mab's new kid would be in the Danny Pintauro role. And Mother Winter would be in the Katherine Helmond role.
Making a Better World Whether You Like it or Not

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 08:30:27 PM »
Jim has said that he likes to take a story idea, and give it a new coat of paint.  I wanted to start a discussion about which book, movie, tv show ideas you could see Jim using in the Dresden series.

I was thinking he might take the idea of a horcrux idea from the Harry Potter series.  The idea that you can place a piece of your soul into something, giving you an anchor to the mortal world to prevent death.  I think that the blue print could already be there with Mantle's, soulfire, and things like that.  I was thinking that maybe this is how Cowl can defend himself from a death curse.  What do you think?  What idea's do you think Jim might use in the future parts of the series?
Re. the horcrux idea, when asked if Harry could make better focii with his Soulfire, the response was (forgive the paraphrase) it would be a terrible idea because an object carrying a piece of a person's literal Soul would be your enemy's idea of the Holy Grail of Thaumaturgical links. 

So while it could be a really cool idea to explore, I hope it waits until the day we have another Soulfire user besides Harry. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:08:59 PM »
Re. the horcrux idea, when asked if Harry could make better focii with his Soulfire, the response was (forgive the paraphrase) it would be a terrible idea because an object carrying a piece of a person's literal Soul would be your enemy's idea of the Holy Grail of Thaumaturgical links.

I wouldn't be happy with any soul-fraction-storage like horcruxes showing up in the DV. It seems based on a much more discrete and less mutable concept of the soul than the DV has previously established. And since soulfire is only known to be accessible as a granted boon from Heaven's agents, I don't see how a necromancer would get into a position to be trusted with that kind of ability.

However, a better prepared necromancer than Corpsetaker might have laid other preparations to return ahead of time. Stuff like keeping an indoctrinated cult and a suitable victim to body-hop into as a prisoner on standby, or reservoirs of power keyed to themself that their spirit could use as fuel to regain the strength to act faster than it took Corpsetaker. I'd be a bit surprised if Kemmler didn't have some degree of plans to ease his way back after the first time or two.