Author Topic: New short story in process  (Read 11989 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: New short story in process
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »
It amazes me that we can get offers like this:

"Want a new Mercades (Peace Talks), AND a top-of-the-line Smartcar (short story)?"

And people on here are like "yeah! Bonus Smartcar!"
Fixed it for ya  8)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline ebliss1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 10:50:09 AM »
Quote from: ebliss1 on Yesterday at 11:05:16 AM

It amazes me that we can get offers like this:

"Want a new Mercades (Peace Talks), AND a top-of-the-line Smartcar (short story)?"

And people on here are like "yeah! Bonus Smartcar!"

Fixed it for ya  8)

I'M not the one that needs such fixing. It's the one who should be delivering the Mercedes, but is only delivering the Smartcar. I'd be thrilled to get both as you seem to think we will be getting, but if he's asking audiences for ideas about what to put in the book, it's nowhere close to being done. I'd imagine that this time next year, we will still be wondering where Peace Talks is.
Making a Better World Whether You Like it or Not

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 01:58:13 PM »
I'M not the one that needs such fixing. It's the one who should be delivering the Mercedes, but is only delivering the Smartcar. I'd be thrilled to get both as you seem to think we will be getting, but if he's asking audiences for ideas about what to put in the book, it's nowhere close to being done. I'd imagine that this time next year, we will still be wondering where Peace Talks is.

I haven't gotten an update on the disposition of his new house, but if the June 30th deadline wasn't another blown deadline for the contractor, and he's moved in, I would be surprised if the opposite weren't true. 

Anyway, I get your complaint, but even though there will be plenty sympathetic to it, a significant portion of the audience here will be more sympathetic to Jim.  And respond accordingly.  After all, the term "fan" comes from "fanatic." 

Further defense of either viewpoint isn't really necessary. 
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »
Day One Spoilers:

(click to show/hide)
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."
- Jim Butcher at Space City Con, 2013

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »
Good to hear. To me, this means that Jim is back to writing again after a long slowdown; at one of the Q&A sessions, he said that, once he moved into his new house, he has a publishing commitment to finish the last entry for Briefcases, and had to focus on that first. As far as I recall, he estimated a month or two pause to get that finished, then he'd switch back to finishing Peace Talks. So, to me, this means that he's back to a writing schedule that will hopefully be back to his previous pace.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 03:41:31 PM »
Coming back to reiterate my original post that Jim's said it's the same story about a trip to the zoo told from all three perspectives. 

And I'll add that... It.  Is.  Awesome.

I might be suffering from the latest short story is the best short story itis.  But if we don't count the novellas it's probably the best short story yet.  (granted the others have moments just as good)  It's good on multiple levels. 

I say again.  It.  Is.  Awesome.

SHUT UP SERACK!!

I am SO jealous of the Betas.

STIFLE IT!!

I'm kidding of course, about the quieting down.  Not the jealousy part. *hard glare*
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 04:20:57 PM »
SHUT UP SERACK!!

I am SO jealous of the Betas.

STIFLE IT!!

I'm kidding of course, about the quieting down.  Not the jealousy part. *hard glare*
I used to be jealous, until I realized that with every book they spend MONTHS unable to discuss it with anyone.  After getting each chapter slowly doled out like a Dickensian soup kitchen.  Imagine wallowing in your own theorycraft that long with no release.  Imagine having each new novel carefully dosed out like the opioid it truly is, no binge reads allowed... 

I think that's where some of Serack's huge theory dissertations come from.  It's just a different kind of torturous waiting. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 06:28:18 PM »
I used to be jealous, until I realized that with every book they spend MONTHS unable to discuss it with anyone.  After getting each chapter slowly doled out like a Dickensian soup kitchen.  Imagine wallowing in your own theorycraft that long with no release.  Imagine having each new novel carefully dosed out like the opioid it truly is, no binge reads allowed... 

I think that's where some of Serack's huge theory dissertations come from.  It's just a different kind of torturous waiting.

LOL .... I never thought of that.

*considering*

Nope, still jealous.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 07:01:03 PM »
I haven't gotten an update on the disposition of his new house, but if the June 30th deadline wasn't another blown deadline for the contractor, and he's moved in, I would be surprised if the opposite weren't true. 

Anyway, I get your complaint, but even though there will be plenty sympathetic to it, a significant portion of the audience here will be more sympathetic to Jim.  And respond accordingly.  After all, the term "fan" comes from "fanatic." 

Further defense of either viewpoint isn't really necessary.

Do we get an information dump at all? 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »

The poor guy, when I speculated before SG that Deirdre wasn't going to make it and Nic would blame Harry (even though I was wrong on the means; something about a B-plot of black court antagonists, given the previous pattern of vampire plots in every third novel) it must have been frustrating only being able to say "hmm ... interesting".

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 07:58:48 PM »
The poor guy, when I speculated before SG that Deirdre wasn't going to make it and Nic would blame Harry (even though I was wrong on the means; something about a B-plot of black court antagonists, given the previous pattern of vampire plots in every third novel) it must have been frustrating only being able to say "hmm ... interesting".

Ditto when I said that the pains Harry was feeling reminded me of labor pains.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 08:08:37 PM »
Do we get an information dump at all?

I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean.  In the story?  Information about Jim's writing situation?

Also, If I knew what you mean, I would then have to judge if this is something that should be RAFO'd as beta exclusive info. 
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 08:24:31 PM »
Oh yes, poor Serack  :P

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »
I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean.  In the story?  Information about Jim's writing situation?

Also, If I knew what you mean, I would then have to judge if this is something that should be RAFO'd as beta exclusive info.

If it was a story about Harry going for ice cream, that's all that it would be about.  The info dump would be like if while going for ice cream, Harry was reminded of when he and Eb had went for ice cream, and you learn more about their relationship.  Or maybe while going for ice cream, Thomas drops by and talks to Harry about what's going on in his life...  That's my idea of an info dump.  Information given that isn't directly connected to the little story unfolding.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:30:05 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 10:11:10 PM »
If it was a story about Harry going for ice cream, that's all that it would be about.  The info dump would be like if while going for ice cream, Harry was reminded of when he and Eb had went for ice cream, and you learn more about their relationship.  Or maybe while going for ice cream, Thomas drops by and talks to Harry about what's going on in his life...  That's my idea of an info dump.  Information given that isn't directly connected to the little story unfolding.
Hmm, rate that against, say Day Off that was supposed to be about Harry having a date, but revealed things  regarding his Warden/Paranet travels, Molly's training, and supernatural STD's?   There was a lot of information not related to the planned events, but not as an exposition dump where the bulk of the text is off-topic, a flashback, or a story-within-a-story sort of thing. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/