Author Topic: Better Guns for Dresden and Co.  (Read 27962 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Better Guns for Dresden and Co.
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »
Ok, so are you familiar with Jim's comments about... blah, I'll blanket quote em.

Now here's my more detailed theory on how the murpheonic field came to be.  Quoted from my theory on black magic. (note:  I wrote the below outside of the context of this nit-picky argument about gun mechanisms.  I'll try to tie it to that after the quote)

Ok, back to gun mechanisms...  let see.  Another way of framing the above murpheonic theory is that modern mankind has used the Scientific Method to nail down the mechanisms of how stuff works pretty well.  But outside the lab, things break down, or have failures.  Somehow when the side effect of magic making cream go bad, morphed into the murpheonic field, it manifested into emphasizing the things brake down or have failures aspect of technology, and even though the M1911 was a WW1 service semi-automatic pistol, the fact that it's generally perceived that it has modes of failure that are a part of it's technological advances over Harry's trusty '38 make it susceptible to his murpheonic field. 

Here are two anecdotes slightly offset from this discussion but that are relevant. 

Compared to me, my step father is a gun nut.  He prefers a trusty revolver too, but he doesn't have a problem with an "automatic" so much as a problem with a police force deploying them without sufficient training in how to clear a failure.  And he once stopped and showed me the house that was involved in a shoot-out when the local county sheriff's office converted from revolvers to automatics across the force.  Several deputies died during that shootout, and he blames it on their not being sufficiently trained in clearing a failure in their automatics. 

When I was a soldier, in basic training, they drilled me in clearing my M-16 to the point where we did it in synchronized formation step by step, eyes front until we all in synchrony slanted our weapons and looked down to check that the chamber was empty.  Look up and tilt the weapon back to the vertical plane.  Release the bolt. *Slam* the entire formation's bolts slide home at once.

Ok second anecdote.  As a green beta I once tried to call out referring to the P90 as a carbine in a beta comment.  Jim responded with a WALL of text about the P90, carbines, sub-machine guns, and the differences between them.  So Jim knows more about guns than me.  Although I doubt he's spent as many nights cuddling with an M-16.

Because magic seems to evolve over time, and how it affects things, do you see the possibility that wizards will use magic to control technology sometime down the road rather than cause it to malfunction?  Because that would be awesome.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2017, 09:56:39 PM »
That's an incredibly generalized idea. It aligns the info we already know quite well, don't get me wrong, excellent organization on it. I just can't see it being the definite answer to anything. With all your inside info your theorizing has suffered with this generalization effect in recent years. Even what you choose to respond to as far as others theories has changed... avoiding heavy or major topical theorizing. Not really fair that, as the main chooser of 'quality theories'.

Thanks, I'm glad to have contributed to the forum, and I try my best to harvest other contributions before the autodelete monster gets them.

If you have anything positive to generate that you feel is worthy of conservation please point out your efforts to me.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2017, 10:29:15 PM »
Thanks, I'm glad to have contributed to the forum, and I try my best to harvest other contributions before the autodelete monster gets them.

If you have anything positive to generate that you feel is worthy of conservation please point out your efforts to me.
Your welcome, really is a shame one of the brightest minds handicapped on doing what they love best. I'm rather afraid I lack presentational skills.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.