Author Topic: Wizard Academy  (Read 16212 times)

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Academy
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 10:57:36 PM »
I agree with your assessment, though I'd submit that only the Venatori have played that role so far but that the much, MUCH wider and more well-attended Net of the Paranet will go a long way to mitigating the scale issues you see.  They are just too new at this point, and as of I think it was TC where Harry and Luccio mention it, the paranet hadnt yet developed a huge amount of support in the Council beyond Harry himself.

Back before Backup, I had assumed the Venatori and the Paranet were just 2 iterations of the same idea, just developed in different centuries: low power practitioners banding together to share knowledge with each other, and where possible, defend the people around them. It's just that the ways of sharing knowledge have evolved, while the Venatori have not (being part of an ancient secret society is way more fun than being part of an effective secret society). Of course, Backup added an extra dimension to the Venatori, but I imagine as far as most of them are concerned (not Venators, though), my point still stands.
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."
- Jim Butcher at Space City Con, 2013

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 08:01:10 AM »
Well, in the Paranet papers, Simon had multiple apprentices of different ages. I actually got the impression that the so-called Brute Squad at Archangel was in fact something like Simon's 'magic school'.

I think it is likely that he wasn't / isn't the only wizard to have several apprentices at once. For a very simple reason that also applies to real world apprenticeship systems: The beginners need a lot of attention and guidance, the more advanced apprentices start to pay off that investment by working for very little money. And occasionally by tutoring the newbies instead of the master or a journeyman. In theory, only a master is supposed to teach, but reality often looks different. Time is money and investing it into teaching isn't done for charity.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »
Well, in the Paranet papers, Simon had multiple apprentices of different ages. I actually got the impression that the so-called Brute Squad at Archangel was in fact something like Simon's 'magic school'.

I think it is likely that he wasn't / isn't the only wizard to have several apprentices at once. For a very simple reason that also applies to real world apprenticeship systems: The beginners need a lot of attention and guidance, the more advanced apprentices start to pay off that investment by working for very little money. And occasionally by tutoring the newbies instead of the master or a journeyman. In theory, only a master is supposed to teach, but reality often looks different. Time is money and investing it into teaching isn't done for charity.
That's very true, though I traditionally associate that model with more Tradesman type of apprenticeship, like blacksmith or something where there is a lot of requisite grunt-work, as opposed to what is much more an academic pursuit like magic (outside the wardens).
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 01:37:42 PM »
In White Night, Dresden does say that the reason the wards around his house are stronger is because he makes Molly reinforce them. We know she also works on potions quite a bit, and that she was in charge of making tracking spells for him to use in a story or 2. But yeah, overall, magic doesn't pay, but there's not a lot of gruntwork involved in it.
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."

Offline phi1601

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 08:19:28 PM »
Since when does wizarding not pay?

Harry makes money finding people, lost items, consulting for CPD, and being a warden.

He could open up a potion shop. Levitation, escape, love, weightloss, pick-me-up, stealth we know he can make. Add in some super strength, speed, mental acuity, you get the idea.

If he had lower ethics he could have been the security consultant for Marcone. Lara would probably pay quite a bit to have him on her payroll as well.

Mort seems to be doing fine as a spiritual whatever he is.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 08:25:05 PM »
Since when does wizarding not pay?

Harry makes money finding people, lost items, consulting for CPD, and being a warden.

He could open up a potion shop. Levitation, escape, love, weightloss, pick-me-up, stealth we know he can make. Add in some super strength, speed, mental acuity, you get the idea.

If he had lower ethics he could have been the security consultant for Marcone. Lara would probably pay quite a bit to have him on her payroll as well.

Mort seems to be doing fine as a spiritual whatever he is.
Devil's Advocate here, but Harry is the vast exception, and in doing so openly has earned himself enemies (or at least general antagonism) on the council.  And Mort nearly starved his Magic to DEATH trying to wrangle cash out of it. 

Most Wizards make money by living long enough to become an Old Money Family all by themselves. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 10:09:33 PM »
A while ago, there used to be a topic in this forum about ways to make money through magic. I wonder what happened to it?

We know the Council also has moneymancers (so called by Jim) who keep their finances going. But I don't think most wizards make a living through magic directly. I find that extremely unlikely that most people in the Council use their magic for financial gain, yet Eb would refuse to teach Dresden during his apprentice days.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 12:12:51 PM »
Other supernatural customers have lots of money too. Just sayin'

You don't have to tell your patients that you are using magic to heal them, if you are a healer.

Harry needn't advertise that he's a wizard. He could gain a reputation as a PI for "special" cases just fine without telling his clients what exactly he's doing to achieve it. He might even make a lot more money that way.

You could run a security firm with a mix of wizards, minor talents and pure mortals (clued-ins).

An enchanter might make very expensive toys for rich Venatori and the like.

Don't forget the criminal applications of magic. Robbing a bank is not against the Laws of Magic.  ;)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 12:28:41 PM »
A while ago, there used to be a topic in this forum about ways to make money through magic. I wonder what happened to it?

We know the Council also has moneymancers (so called by Jim) who keep their finances going. But I don't think most wizards make a living through magic directly. I find that extremely unlikely that most people in the Council use their magic for financial gain, yet Eb would refuse to teach Dresden during his apprentice days.
While the council as an Organization has "Moneymancers" to keep the lights on, the often repeated standard for individual members is to simply live Long enough to accumulate investment interest.  Eb owns a Farm, which for him could easily have been made to produced something (at least in Peacetime) with and without magic.  I could see Harry's lessons going one of two ways: either Eb would avoid Magical chores to keep Harry from learning to rely on Magic for petty things, or else he'd teach him that earth-moving spell by having him plow a field or pull a stump with it. 

As far as the rest of the magical community, the Council doesnt get involved short of the Laws, they even let Binder roam free on the technicalities.  I have to assume there is a long-standing magical arms race (another thread has me comparing it to Cyber security, which I think fits), you have your White Hats and Black Hats, but all are just constantly trying got find ways around the oppositions tricks.  I guarantee you there are Magical Defenses and Contractors and and Heists aplenty in Vegas.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 04:28:14 PM »
Why would there be an Magical Arms Race?  Are the different people's magic different from one another?  An example being that only Mortals can summon outsiders.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 05:57:52 PM »
Why would there be an Magical Arms Race?  Are the different people's magic different from one another?  An example being that only Mortals can summon outsiders.
I meant that in the sense of magic within the Mortal World and between Humans.  For example, I assume Las Vegas will have magically clued in Caseno owners (like non-baron Marcone) since the town is going to be a magnet for new low-level practitioners that think they have a magical trick that will get them quick cash; and that will be a constantly evolving thing. 

Put another way, I imagine that Monoc has competitors and not all of them are secretly run by gods or monsters. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 06:03:09 PM »
I meant that in the sense of magic within the Mortal World and between Humans.  For example, I assume Las Vegas will have magically clued in Caseno owners (like non-baron Marcone) since the town is going to be a magnet for new low-level practitioners that think they have a magical trick that will get them quick cash; and that will be a constantly evolving thing. 

Put another way, I imagine that Monoc has competitors and not all of them are secretly run by gods or monsters.

Ah, that makes sense.  For that matter, maybe the Librarians?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 03:45:40 AM »
In White Night, Dresden does say that the reason the wards around his house are stronger is because he makes Molly reinforce them. We know she also works on potions quite a bit, and that she was in charge of making tracking spells for him to use in a story or 2. But yeah, overall, magic doesn't pay, but there's not a lot of gruntwork involved in it.

Magic apparently pays very well for some Wizards.  Harry comments to Molly that some Wizards use their abilities to make themselves rich.  Harry could use his powers to make a lot more money than we've seen him do, if he was less concerned about non-monetary factors than he is.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 03:47:24 AM »
Devil's Advocate here, but Harry is the vast exception, and in doing so openly has earned himself enemies (or at least general antagonism) on the council.  And Mort nearly starved his Magic to DEATH trying to wrangle cash out of it. 

That's because Mort didn't believe in what he was doing, and that short-circuited his own powers.  Harry is the exception in how little profit he makes.

Most Wizards make money by living long enough to become an Old Money Family all by themselves.

That only works if you have money to put into the process to start the ball rolling.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 12:56:49 PM »
That's because Mort didn't believe in what he was doing, and that short-circuited his own powers.  Harry is the exception in how little profit he makes.
The amount of profit involved doesnt really make a difference to harry, but Harry had already bargained away any chance of wealth to Lea back when he was a kid, so he never expected more than humble living.  Mort was unable to make a real living using his magic Honestly (presumably because people dont go to psychics for honesty), so he had to start faking it to wring more cash which in turn killed his magic. 

That only works if you have money to put into the process to start the ball rolling.
The expectation is that over a long enough timeline anyone can accumulate the starting capital.  Granted Highlander showed that not every immortal will have the self-restraint and foresight to actually do it, but in theory the Wizards Council is going to have more intelligent members than the randomly assigned Quickening. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/