Author Topic: Summoning Question  (Read 8949 times)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Re: Summoning Question
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 07:55:47 PM »
Okay, I was there, and actually I asked that question of Jim, and here's what I took away from that.

Becoming the Winter Lady does not push her soul out.  It does not limit her ability to exchange pieces with others directly.

What it does is gives her POWER.

The old adage that power corrupts ...

She still has her soul.  Now if she keeps it is up to her and her use of the power she is given.  The temptation to do whatever she likes is even stronger not that she has power.

That is why Jim equivocates over Mab's soul.  He doesn't know if she's gone so far down the left hand path that she no longer has a soul.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 11:28:55 PM »
That's a bit clearer and more in line with what I expected sans confusing discussions on it.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »
Okay, I was there, and actually I asked that question of Jim, and here's what I took away from that.

Becoming the Winter Lady does not push her soul out.  It does not limit her ability to exchange pieces with others directly.

What it does is gives her POWER.

The old adage that power corrupts ...

She still has her soul.  Now if she keeps it is up to her and her use of the power she is given.  The temptation to do whatever she likes is even stronger not that she has power.

That is why Jim equivocates over Mab's soul.  He doesn't know if she's gone so far down the left hand path that she no longer has a soul.
Thanx for asking and sharing  :)

I have trouble getting my head around the concept that going down the left hand path causes the loss of someone's soul. Having a soul doesn't mean having a good soul. It jars with my RL - not beliefs, cause I'm an atheist - concepts I've been taught in religious education.

But if that's the way it works in the DV, ok. Unusual imo, but actually not that difficult to follow. There are a couple of implications/theoretical possibilities imo:
  • Mab does have a bit of a soul left, cause she's not completely evil imo.
  • There is no hell to go to. Completely evil people just cease to exist after death.
  • Or maybe it's impossible for a free-willed human being to truly become 100% completely evil. Deirdre seems to have had a soul left that could go to Hades.
  • The Fallen aren't souls like the not Fallen angels.
  • Hence their inability to use soul-fire.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 07:36:23 PM »
Zaphodess,

I understand what you are saying.  And the Phrase "lose your soul" is really a bad use of language.  If you'll buy into the concept of Dark = bad and Light = good, then you aren't losing your soul, you are darkening it.  Or lightening it as the case may be.

And according to Jim, the pursuit of power is something that lends itself to darkening of one's soul.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »
Zaphodess,

I understand what you are saying.  And the Phrase "lose your soul" is really a bad use of language.  If you'll buy into the concept of Dark = bad and Light = good, then you aren't losing your soul, you are darkening it.  Or lightening it as the case may be.

And according to Jim, the pursuit of power is something that lends itself to darkening of one's soul.
Darkening = "Staining", perhaps?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2017, 08:05:12 PM »
Darkening = "Staining", perhaps?

It's the CONCEPT ... the Concept, not the word ... LOL