Author Topic: Cowl theory Dead Beat -onward spoilers  (Read 14866 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl theory Dead Beat -onward spoilers
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 12:07:12 PM »
good point. The suggestion of Simon being Cowl instead of being dead like people first thought is intriguing. I mean the rot could refer to all the damage Peabody was doing and its expanding effects.
And Harry hadnt met Simon so that could make sense.
Initally if I remember Cowl was more interested in stopping others and if in the process he got the power he could 'set things right' but that doesnt explain his summoning of the demon in white knight.
Initially he was interested in keeping the Erlking book from the others, but Im not convinced he actually didnt want the Power.  Especially if Bob is correct and only Cowl knew the whole truth of how it needed to go down.  He's the one that knew about Halloween (possibly), knew about Bob as a backup Word, etc.  If he was trying to stop it he could have Not clocked Harry and freed the Erlking, Not done a proper job on the city-wide hex, among other opportunities.   
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 02:53:39 PM »
Cowl being Kemmler makes no sense without lots of intervening factors. Kemmler somehow needs Bob to perform a ritual he invented? He says things like "I have nothing but disdain for the madman Kemmler?" I buy that Cowl is Simon. That makes sense to me. It has good Drama. Kemmler is Dead. Justin may have been Kemmler, but I still don't buy it.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »
Alterna-Kemmler wouldn't know the dark hallow necessarily though. :)
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »
If we're opening the door to alternate universe versions meddling, I think Id rather an Ebeneezer AlernaCoy out to steal the the prime-dv's Blackstaff.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 05:25:27 PM »
If we're opening the door to alternate universe versions meddling, I think Id rather an Ebeneezer AlernaCoy out to steal the the prime-dv's Blackstaff.

I'll grant you that illusions can explain a lot, but the physical description isn't close to Eb.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 06:46:17 PM »
I'll grant you that illusions can explain a lot, but the physical description isn't close to Eb.
Shapeshifting mishap?  Cowl is described as barely sounding Human (which honestly now invokes a more Fomor Servator vibe now, for me).
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 08:30:06 PM »
Shapeshifting mishap?  Cowl is described as barely sounding Human (which honestly now invokes a more Fomor Servator vibe now, for me).
the tongue thing makes me think he's a changed red who refuses let go of his humanity, to explain the mortal magic. That's the only viable pure 'Simon' theory to me.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 08:42:14 PM »
the tongue thing makes me think he's a changed red who refuses let go of his humanity, to explain the mortal magic. That's the only viable pure 'Simon' theory to me.
Ooh, interesting idea.  Are you thinking he was changed to make him complicit prior to GP and he hid it until SK, or was he already complicit and was turned during or after he faked his death?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 10:42:00 PM »
Ooh, interesting idea.  Are you thinking he was changed to make him complicit prior to GP and he hid it until SK, or was he already complicit and was turned during or after he faked his death?
They forced it on him to have a powerful new recruit who understood Council magic perhaps? Harry talks about how bad such a thing would be in DB on a warden, what about a WC member? Which would mean his vendetta against the corruption in the council includes and is probably driven by, whatever asshat betrayed him to the Red's. Even though it changed him not only physically, but as a person. I don't think he stopped being himself. As an older wizard his stubbornness of personality was greater than the demon they rebirthed him as.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 09:42:19 AM »
They forced it on him to have a powerful new recruit who understood Council magic perhaps? Harry talks about how bad such a thing would be in DB on a warden, what about a WC member? Which would mean his vendetta against the corruption in the council includes and is probably driven by, whatever asshat betrayed him to the Red's. Even though it changed him not only physically, but as a person. I don't think he stopped being himself. As an older wizard his stubbornness of personality was greater than the demon they rebirthed him as.
If that was true, would he help the Reds? He didn't necessarily want the Erlking book, he only wanted it destroyed. Which suggests to me that he knew the author, one Samuel Peabody.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »
Hmmm...
(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 02:31:57 PM »
Hmmm...
(click to show/hide)
How is he doing that?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 02:35:49 PM »
How is he doing that?

(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Well what can I say, I didn't think out my alternative theory too well.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 02:53:35 PM »
Well what can I say, I didn't think out my alternative theory too well.
Dont give up now, there's always a tinfoil hat Crack-theory reason for this sort of thing, we just have to dig deep enough! 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/