Author Topic: Skin Game question --possible Michael issue **spoilers**  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Skin Game question --possible Michael issue **spoilers**
« on: July 09, 2017, 11:16:54 PM »
So.. weird thing.
Michael mentions being a Corpsman when setting Harry's arm.
However in Grave Peril (I think) he mentions that only Charity has medical training.

Now while a Corpsman wouldnt say they were a doctor. They do have medical training -thoughts?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
Re: Skin Game question --possible Michael issue **spoilers**
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 01:08:38 AM »
 Little inconsistencies, sometimes going back farther in the timeline than GP ??? mmm I wonder.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 06:48:37 AM »
I think he meant he only has limited training and would rather have someone with more expertise look at more serious issues, but that does not mean he does not know how to set an arm or other injuries that are relatively minor.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 02:59:16 PM »
My personal theory is ... We're reading books from different timelines.

Meaning the GP reference and the SG reference are not in the same timeline, so it's possible both are correct.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 05:31:56 PM »
My personal theory is ... We're reading books from different timelines.

Meaning the GP reference and the SG reference are not in the same timeline, so it's possible both are correct.
lol That's what I was getting at with the earlier vague comment. The problem for most people there would be if the original division was in GP for MM alternate timelines. But I can think of at least two other spots that are feasible break offs. One of which is pretty much certain, but how the timeline(s) would react overall is harder to say.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »
lol That's what I was getting at with the earlier vague comment. The problem for most people there would be if the original division was in GP for MM alternate timelines. But I can think of at least two other spots that are feasible break offs. One of which is pretty much certain, but how the timeline(s) would react overall is harder to say.

From what we've seen.  A change that occurred to Michael that would have given him training or not, would have occurred long before the series began.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 06:53:19 PM »
I saw one person on a FB use this as justification that Michael is now infected and evil. I disagree with that entirely.
(the person was saying Murphy and everyone who got kidnamed in Cold Days was now evil..)
I was wondering if it was in the scope of the particular area -a broken arm vs a person's current condition.
Or might be a typo that will get corrected later. 

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 07:42:24 PM »
So.. weird thing.
Michael mentions being a Corpsman when setting Harry's arm.
However in Grave Peril (I think) he mentions that only Charity has medical training.

Now while a Corpsman wouldnt say they were a doctor. They do have medical training -thoughts?
From what I recall of the last time this came up was that it actually fit pretty well.  The crux was the relative levels of training and practical use of a medical Corpsman versus something more like an unlicensed Registered Nurse.  The sort of training Michael would have received would have been more akin to an EMT/paramedic, a sort of Extremely Advanced First Aid training, but being a single-tour recruit he'd have been the /help/ for the true Doctors for anything more. Michael's knowledge would have been focused on basic diagnosis and procedure-based treatments, but they'd need to make him useful quickly.  By contrast Charity could receive a great deal of academic medical training at home via various courses to be a Nurse Practitioner. If she's motivated enough to learn Armor-smithing and sword-fighting to support Michael, then devoting energy to Medical.

*Note that Im regurgitating what I recall of the topic, I personally have no first-hand knowledge of either the military or the medical industry. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 07:54:40 PM »
From what we've seen.  A change that occurred to Michael that would have given him training or not, would have occurred long before the series began.
Exactly.