Author Topic: A warden's sword for Harry...  (Read 33673 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: A warden's sword for Harry...
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2017, 12:12:25 PM »
That's my point though, it was strictly speaking a pure threshold effect applied to a church. An yea, Q pointed out people live in that church, but I point out, it being a church has no deteriorating effect on said threshold. If anything it takes concrete and adds rebar :)
I think that is a better description of a Ward on top of a threshold, as one gets built directly on the other.  The Holy Ground thing feels more like a Moat to me; a separate layer of defense at a different/outer location.  Holy Ground extends to the property line (and/or the Fence in the case of a Cemetery), but the Threshold and any ward built on it ends at the Building.  Which is good as Ghosts would need to be able to get to the church graveyard but not be able to bother the parishioners.

That being said, per WOJ Wards can be anchored to things besides home thresholds ("Well, you can use other kinds of similar energy structures, like ley lines, ogham stones, etc, but you can't just slap them down anywhere.") and Ogham Stones are a sort of Menhir standing stone that I could easily see being described as a druidy equivalent of Consecrated Ground.  So maybe the Holy Ground aspect of a Church is just a different energy structure that can hold a Ward, similar to but distinct from the family-based Threshold?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:19:24 PM by Quantus »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2017, 05:07:30 PM »
I think that is a better description of a Ward on top of a threshold, as one gets built directly on the other.  The Holy Ground thing feels more like a Moat to me; a separate layer of defense at a different/outer location.  Holy Ground extends to the property line (and/or the Fence in the case of a Cemetery), but the Threshold and any ward built on it ends at the Building.  Which is good as Ghosts would need to be able to get to the church graveyard but not be able to bother the parishioners.

That being said, per WOJ Wards can be anchored to things besides home thresholds ("Well, you can use other kinds of similar energy structures, like ley lines, ogham stones, etc, but you can't just slap them down anywhere.") and Ogham Stones are a sort of Menhir standing stone that I could easily see being described as a druidy equivalent of Consecrated Ground.  So maybe the Holy Ground aspect of a Church is just a different energy structure that can hold a Ward, similar to but distinct from the family-based Threshold?

I tend to believe that it's more related to a Threshold than a ward, though it could be kind of both.  When you figure that some Churches serve as burial places for the faithful, and if there is a wandering spirit from these crypts, then the threshold/Ward would have to behave differently.

The fact that the shadow of a fallen, and a LITERAL shadow of a fallen (Lash vs Lasciel) have both been inside St. Mary's suggests that the threshold/Ward effect doesn't apply to them, where as it did to the Nightmare (Kavros).
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2017, 08:19:36 PM »
While the winter knight is meant to be the weapon, I can't believe mab has not commissioned some kind of weapon or fic to give her knight a little more oomph. A winter knight weapon is sure to be cool.
k moinuddin

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2017, 08:30:02 PM »
While the winter knight is meant to be the weapon, I can't believe mab has not commissioned some kind of weapon or fic to give her knight a little more oomph. A winter knight weapon is sure to be cool.

Actually I can see the exact opposite.  I can see her telling Harry he can't use a weapon that he already has.  I mean she already did it once.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2017, 03:54:11 PM »
Actually I can see the exact opposite.  I can see her telling Harry he can't use a weapon that he already has.  I mean she already did it once.
explain please besides magic and fiery temper what weapon harry gets from mab.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2017, 11:40:47 PM »
Harry can create stuff from ice, so I am thinking a foci, to make the shaping process easier and more useful. So on demand he can create a bladed weapon, staff or even a tools of different type.
k moinuddin

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2017, 09:59:06 AM »
Harry can create stuff from ice, so I am thinking a foci, to make the shaping process easier and more useful. So on demand he can create a bladed weapon, staff or even a tools of different type.
so some kind of bracer maybe focusing his kinetic and shield spells and help him to shape ice to offensive objects

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2017, 08:08:03 PM »
explain please besides magic and fiery temper what weapon harry gets from mab.

Remember when Mab took away Harry's Blasting Rod?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2017, 12:43:26 PM »
Per WOJ that's more the Summer methodology.  Summer like to Arm its Knight with weapons, Winter actually Forges it's Knight into a Weapon. 

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2017, 04:57:38 PM »
Per WOJ that's more the Summer methodology.  Summer like to Arm its Knight with weapons, Winter actually Forges it's Knight into a Weapon.

Thus Harry's Physical Therapy? lol

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2017, 04:58:48 PM »
If Harry's already described as a weapon, technically she's only reforging this one?
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2017, 05:41:49 PM »
If Harry's already described as a weapon, technically she's only reforging this one?
Depends on when you think she got started (and if you give her credit for Lea's ground-work).

Anyone think Harry's going to turn the tables on Mab at least once?  Make /her/ the weapon in the relationship?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2017, 06:09:59 PM »
Depends on when you think she got started (and if you give her credit for Lea's ground-work).

Anyone think Harry's going to turn the tables on Mab at least once?  Make /her/ the weapon in the relationship?

You mean like on DR at the end of Cold Days?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2017, 07:00:53 PM »
You mean like on DR at the end of Cold Days?
No, I mean make her a catspaw, or better yet openly /force/ her to do his bidding.  In CD he threatened her enough to make her back off but that's it, and he gave that up for the bluff it was in the opening of SG.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2017, 07:26:30 PM »
No, I mean make her a catspaw, or better yet openly /force/ her to do his bidding.  In CD he threatened her enough to make her back off but that's it, and he gave that up for the bluff it was in the opening of SG.
No, that'd hurt her ego. THAT is the mistake Kringle warns about lol.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.