Author Topic: A warden's sword for Harry...  (Read 33267 times)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Re: A warden's sword for Harry...
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »
As of DB Swordsmanship was considered a valuable enough skill to make it's training mandatory even when the warden in question had not particular talent for it (there was that one that died in DB as an example).  I have to assume the justification for that was not purely because of the sword enchantments; if they were then a far better tactic would be to move the enchantment to some form that does require dedicated wielding, freeing up a hand for spells or staff fighting or guns.

Was the training mandatory, or did that Wrden just pick up a sword because all the older Warden's had them?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2017, 08:12:47 PM »
Was the training mandatory, or did that Wrden just pick up a sword because all the older Warden's had them?
They hand out swords to everyone as part of the uniform (regardless of sword-skill) and presumably hold classes.  It's at least as mandatory as Council Membership :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2017, 05:03:53 PM »
welp this is the second appear of this threat
harry will get his sword but not a warden sword he is gonna get the sword of cross when he either time travels to merlin era or some one with enough power shove his tick skull and then voila lucio chan regains her ability to forge swords. And its knot about her body changed big G wants harry to be knight of cross so he keeps lucios potential locked until harry draws the kusunagi and fullfil his part of the bigger plot.

Offline harry dresden

• Conversationalist
  • riding on the wave of persiflage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2017, 06:51:37 PM »
Seeing as Harry is the de facto Uber Warden now with taking on the mantle of Demonreach he should get an Uber sword like Amoracchius/Excalibur for example, but wait he has it so I wonder....   sorry Khadgar didn't read your reply above, my bad.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:04:54 PM by harry dresden »
Wisdom is a dish best served old.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2017, 07:16:49 PM »
Seeing as Harry is the de facto Uber Warden now with taking on the mantle of Demonreach he should get an Uber sword like Amoracchius/Excalibur for example, but wait he has it so I wonder....   sorry Khadgar didn't read your reply above, my bad.
Uber-Sword.  As in something big and powerful and phallic and weaponized.  A "Boom-stick" as it where...

8)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline harry dresden

• Conversationalist
  • riding on the wave of persiflage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2017, 07:33:42 PM »
 ;D
Wisdom is a dish best served old.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2017, 08:20:16 PM »
They hand out swords to everyone as part of the uniform (regardless of sword-skill) and presumably hold classes.  It's at least as mandatory as Council Membership :P

Well, Harry is an example where it breaks down then, because he didn't get one, right?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:17 PM »
Well, Harry is an example where it breaks down then, because he didn't get one, right?
Insofar as anything Breaks Down if the sole supplier is lost. Harry might well have gotten one if PG and DB had fallen out in their original order (we know Molly would have most likely gotten a Grey Cloak at the very least).  It wasnt a failing of the tactical philosophy or implementation, just a lack of redundancy to make the Swords a permanent resource. 

Its also worth noting that the Grey Cloaks do appear to have some minor enchantments on them (blood wont stick to them) just not enchantments as Powerful or obvious as an integrated Mage Armor spell (or whatever variety).
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 09:27:47 PM »
When Harry gets his sword, I see tons of highlander quotes and references.
k moinuddin

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »
When Harry gets his sword, I see tons of Star Wars quotes and references.

FTFY. Because C'mon, it's Harry,.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 10:02:19 PM »

I thought the implication there is that some level of fencing instruction is part of the general Council apprentice curriculum, though I'm not sure I agree. Nobody seems to have been after Harry to teach Molly to fence, for one thing. And we don't know where or when Harry studied fencing to get to his stated description of OK at it but nowhere near good enough to challenge the serious swordsmen. There's never been a mention of whether Justin taught him that, Ebenezar did, or he decided some lessons after leaving Eb would be a useful skill.

In terms of a weapon though, I really can't see Dresden taking up Amoracchius at this point after all the buildup that it has to be meant for someone with the right biblical virtues, even without the WOJ that a sword for Harry isn't in the plan. The Warden of Demonreach has to walk in a lot of grey areas, whereas the Swords are for paladins, pure of heart.

If he's going to get any sort of special weapon, my money is on figuring out how the four of five artifacts from Hades' vault that he already has actually work. Many have speculated the 'knife' might be the head of the Spear of Destiny - if so, the foreshadowing of that being mounted on his staff is, uh, pretty strong. How cool would a showdown between Harry and Cristos be, with Cristos expecting the sword he kept as a former warden to undo Harry's staff, only for Harry to break his sword instead when they come to blows?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2017, 02:24:31 PM »
I thought the implication there is that some level of fencing instruction is part of the general Council apprentice curriculum, though I'm not sure I agree. Nobody seems to have been after Harry to teach Molly to fence, for one thing.

[...]
I tend to agree. I think the issue is that in /peacetime/ the vast majority of apprentices do NOT become wardens, and so any specialized Warden training is not typically part of the apprenticeship education, unless your Master happens to be a Warden.  However most of our exposure to the Council has been while they were loosing a War and desperate to recoup the military losses. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 04:38:19 PM »
Its also worth noting that the Grey Cloaks do appear to have some minor enchantments on them (blood wont stick to them) just not enchantments as Powerful or obvious as an integrated Mage Armor spell (or whatever variety).

I agree. 

I wonder if they provide any protection against physical attack, like a bullet or a blade.  I'll re-read the Dark Hallow fight and see if anything is mentioned.

Offline deflated

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2017, 10:52:38 PM »
I suspect that swords/fencing is still a thing for the Wardens as so many things from the NeverNever react poorly to having a chunk of iron stuck in them.

Given that would the Winter Knight really want a piece of heavily enchanted steel? I'd expect Warden swords to be built to do nasty things to creatures and artifacts of Winter (among other things); carrying weapons that may do more damage to the wielder than to the other guy ain't a great idea. If Harry gets a sword I suspect it would be something quite different and less likely to leave him incapacitated by a stray cut messing with the mantle.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2017, 04:29:03 AM »
Now that Harry is back and will again be dealing with the wider world (as opposed to be being dead or stuck on an island), what are the chances that he's going to get a warden's sword (assuming Luccio can once again create them)? And what does every think his standing will be with the wardens and the council in general, now that he's the winter knight?

WoJ somewhere saying something about if Harry used a sword he'd fall and stab himself on it.  Think he was answering a question about the Summer Knight having a sword, and if Harry would get one.

So my personal opinion is he won't be getting one based on what Jim said.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.