Author Topic: A warden's sword for Harry...  (Read 33263 times)

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A warden's sword for Harry...
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 03:15:53 PM »
I have to wonder if there is a sword hidden away for the warden of the well. The position might predate the swords, but it would be a powerful artifact to supplement him.
Just like how Harry can use McCoy staff, a warden could use warden tools. Also, he could borrow Mccoys warden sword, it is sure to be better than those off the shelf sword most warden have.

Has there been any indicators that McCoy has a 'warden' sword?  he works with the Wardens and helps direct them, but I've never seen him in a gray cloak, aside from CI, but I don't think that was a warden cloak.  And 'most' wardens don't have off the shelf swords, they had been specifically made by Luccio for the individuals while she still had the ability to make them.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »
Has there been any indicators that McCoy has a 'warden' sword?  he works with the Wardens and helps direct them, but I've never seen him in a gray cloak, aside from CI, but I don't think that was a warden cloak.  And 'most' wardens don't have off the shelf swords, they had been specifically made by Luccio for the individuals while she still had the ability to make them.

Never seen on page, which is why it was news that this short confirmed he had been a warden.

The swords are enchanted items, which means they need maintenance. That's probably on the user, after Luccio initially made them - perhaps like some of the foci Harry has given up on, Eb simply used his time on other pursuits since leaving the Wardens.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 04:19:30 PM »
Never seen on page, which is why it was news that this short confirmed he had been a warden.

The swords are enchanted items, which means they need maintenance. That's probably on the user, after Luccio initially made them - perhaps like some of the foci Harry has given up on, Eb simply used his time on other pursuits since leaving the Wardens.

Not to pick nits, but ... Harrys' stuff needs to be maintained because he uses inferior materials in his enchantments.  There is no reason to believe that, in the process of creating the sword for a particular individual, Luccio didn't link it to that person's spirit/soul, and that is what is powering the enchantments.

So, had Luccio created a sword for Eb, it's entirely possible he still has it.  But why use a sword when you have a blackstaff?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 04:26:44 PM »
Better materials means not needing maintenance as often, sure (in which case maybe Luccio was doing the maintenance, and her incapacitation hasn't been an issue for the few surviving veteran wardens because the few surviving veterans of the old guard simply haven't hit the required service deadlines on their blades yet).

But soul linkages would probably fall under the same reason it would be a terrible idea for Harry to use soulfire in crafting - if an adversary ever gets hold of the blade, its owner is screwed.

Partly though, I think it might just be considered disrespectful of the active duty wardens to continue using the blade after retirement (sort of like how military members have a protocol against wearing their uniforms after discharge).

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 05:10:50 PM »
Didn't he form dagger-like ice formations in the battle with sharkface in Cold Days? 

A thought I had was if he had his staff tips shod with the same metal that the fey use for swords; but have them augmentible with ice or fire magic.  I'm sure Mab has a creature in her service that could provide something for Sir Harry...
His fist became covered in a sharp icy gauntlet, if I recall, and later he got some ice claws and other bits on the island.  It wouldn't surprise me if he could make an entire suit of armor out of ice.

At this point, he's probably better off paying the svartalves in diamonds for any smithing he needs done.
This seems like the best bet.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 10:26:44 PM »
McCoy might not be an active warden any more, but I could see him ensuring all his magical weapons and tools are well maintained. He would have the resources and talent to ensure his objects, are more long termed than what Harry has to depend on.
k moinuddin

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 04:10:16 PM »

ahh, I haven't read the short yet...

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 05:05:42 PM »
McCoy might not be an active warden any more, but I could see him ensuring all his magical weapons and tools are well maintained. He would have the resources and talent to ensure his objects, are more long termed than what Harry has to depend on.

I totally agree with this.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 01:54:45 PM »
If McCoy had a sword, Im confident he'd still have it.  Until recently there was no need to try to force an unmatched Sword onto a less that perfect fit, since Luccio could make them all custom for each warden, so there'd have been no need to attempt to recycle them. 

That being said, (unless it's in the short which I have not finished) McCoy might have left Active Duty as a Warden before she started making them.  If he'd moved on already she might not have had need or motivation to forge them for the broader council membership. 

A third possibility is that all SC members were made one, since they are unarguably fantastically useful tools, so even if he didnt already have one he might have been gifted one on reach the SC.  But there's been zero indication of a SC member using a sword that I can think of, and Langtry notably had no Sword in Changes when he was outfitted for War.   
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 03:45:03 PM »
If McCoy had a sword, Im confident he'd still have it.  Until recently there was no need to try to force an unmatched Sword onto a less that perfect fit, since Luccio could make them all custom for each warden, so there'd have been no need to attempt to recycle them. 

That being said, (unless it's in the short which I have not finished) McCoy might have left Active Duty as a Warden before she started making them.  If he'd moved on already she might not have had need or motivation to forge them for the broader council membership. 

A third possibility is that all SC members were made one, since they are unarguably fantastically useful tools, so even if he didnt already have one he might have been gifted one on reach the SC.  But there's been zero indication of a SC member using a sword that I can think of, and Langtry notably had no Sword in Changes when he was outfitted for War.   

This, for sure.

Plus we all know that a wizard's Preferred weapon is a staff.

Well, except for Morgan.  But he's dead.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 04:57:59 PM »
This, for sure.

Plus we all know that a wizard's Preferred weapon is a staff.

Well, except for Morgan.  But he's dead.
Wizards yes, but basically all wardens carry both, no?  I know Luccio has both, and I though most of the others (including Claros and Morgan) did as well at one time or another?  Granted all Wardens are under Luccio's Command and Swordsman appears to be mandatory now, but maybe not always. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 05:05:48 PM »
Wizards yes, but basically all wardens carry both, no?  I know Luccio has both, and I though most of the others (including Claros and Morgan) did as well at one time or another?  Granted all Wardens are under Luccio's Command and Swordsman appears to be mandatory now, but maybe not always.

Actually, I'd say no.  Swords after Luccio changed weren't being given any longer.  So, they all carry Staffs.  And I'd Say the new ones all carry firearms, but not swords any longer. 

The old guard, for sure, but not the newbies.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 06:26:47 PM »
It still feels reasonable that the white council should be able to give wardens magical protections or other defenses.   Not super powerful ones perhaps, but some standard defensive and support equipment.   Yes it takes effort to build and maintain, but there are a lot of non-wardens wizards who can do the initial build and there are not that many new wardens. 

Each warden can maintain their own equipment. 

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 06:38:40 PM »
Oh, I agree, they should.  Maybe they do, but we just haven't seen it yet.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 07:28:42 PM »
Actually, I'd say no.  Swords after Luccio changed weren't being given any longer.  So, they all carry Staffs.  And I'd Say the new ones all carry firearms, but not swords any longer. 

The old guard, for sure, but not the newbies.
As of DB Swordsmanship was considered a valuable enough skill to make it's training mandatory even when the warden in question had not particular talent for it (there was that one that died in DB as an example).  I have to assume the justification for that was not purely because of the sword enchantments; if they were then a far better tactic would be to move the enchantment to some form that does require dedicated wielding, freeing up a hand for spells or staff fighting or guns. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/