Author Topic: with jb's mixing of all kinds of mythologies  (Read 4291 times)

Offline haroos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
with jb's mixing of all kinds of mythologies
« on: May 22, 2017, 06:02:25 PM »
do elves and gnomes and dwarves get a representation anywhere ?
are they of the fae ? or are they existing in the world in some way ? was there ever a mention of them by jb ?

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
Re: with jb's mixing of all kinds of mythologies
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:22:22 PM »
If I remember correctly it was either in small favor or summer knight that Harry was chased by elves from Summer that had bow and arrows.
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:26:49 PM »
Also, Elves with Bows and Arrows were present when Harry met Lily in the Chicago Aboritium.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline nedserD C B yrraH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 02:32:33 PM »
I haven't noticed any obvious high fantasy Elves or Dwarves. That may be a later reveal. Or the Summer Sidhe could simply be the inspiration. Nymphs, satyrs, centaurs all are Summer. If you mean more like DnD the closest is maybe the Svartalves as Drow.
I'm not a Fanboy, I just Squee a lot.

DV Geek Code v1.2 YR9 FR1 BK++ RP JB++ TH ++ WG+ CL+ SW+(B,T,JM) BC+ MC +++(--) SH (Mu++Mo++El+)

Your total Dresden Files purity rating is 53.1%

All scores:
Supernatural Power:75.7%
Social Skills:45.5%
Armed Combat:6.1%
Unarmed Combat:41.8

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 02:56:32 PM »
They are mostly part of the fae by all accounts.  They werent present in SmF (that was the Gruffs, aka goat-people) but in CD they were mentioned both as part of the Winter Birthday Party as well as Lily's group of Summer at the Gardens. 

Tolkien Dwarves were themselves based on the norse Svartalves, which have appeared several times, so you could say those are represented. 

No direct mention of Gnomes in the text, though per wikipedia the term is only 5 centuries old, and "the term gnome became largely synonymous with other terms for "little people" by the 20th century, such as goblin, brownie" so one way to look at them is a broad category of Fae, of which we've seen several examples.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Martine

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 12:30:39 AM »
If I remember correctly it was either in small favor or summer knight that Harry was chased by elves from Summer that had bow and arrows.
Obviously elves are the Fae, and goblins are represented, as they Earlking is the leader of the goblins. Dwarves might be somewhere in ther never never, but I doubt it. Honestly, Dwarves just seem like short humans, I see nothing magical about them.

Offline Martine

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:32:48 AM »
Oh, and of course the show elves are in the mall, and saved Dresden's behind in 'Its My Birthday Too" They fix shoes in a little store, and they are littloe fae, much like dewdrop faeries, but indoor ones.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 03:52:55 PM »
I'm trying to remember back to the scene in Chicago over Chicago in SK.  Weren't there bands or packs of fae running around all over the place.  I'll have to look it up and see what all was named.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 11:11:15 PM »
The Svartalfar that Molly rents her apartment from.  The direct translation is "dark elf", but their crafting, obsession with things of beauty, and preference for isolationism point to the stereotypical dwarf.  Either way, we have an elf or a dwarf.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »
The Svartalfar that Molly rents her apartment from.  The direct translation is "dark elf", but their crafting, obsession with things of beauty, and preference for isolationism point to the stereotypical dwarf.  Either way, we have an elf or a dwarf.
Their definition is Dark Elf/Svartalfar to distinguish from the Liosalfar/Light Elves.  But they were the inspiration for the modern Dwarf/Elf dichotomy that Tolkein made so popula, where the Light Elves became the base Elf.  The confusion is that there were both Dwarves and Svarts in Norse Mythology, but the terms were annoyinging interchangeable...except when they weren't.  The Svarts were a Dwarf-like race that lived in an entirely Underground Realm of the Nine Realms.  "Dwarf" was a term applied to specific mythical figures, and by context it is sometimes clearly the same and sometimes clearly a different thing.  But the Svarts are what the Tolkien/DnD dwarf Stereotype was based on.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 02:19:37 AM »
So we have dwarfs in the Dresdenverse
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.