Author Topic: A Fistful of Warlocks (SPOILERS: FISTFUL OF WARLOCKS)  (Read 30040 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: A Fistful of Warlocks (SPOILERS: FISTFUL OF WARLOCKS)
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2017, 05:25:10 PM »
Culture must be broken on me because I never thought that, not even once.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2017, 10:43:31 PM »
Culture must be broken on me because I never thought that, not even once.
Absolutely.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2017, 07:41:20 AM »
Hitler and Stalin had modern technology, communication and organisation at their side. Unlike Rome however they lost and we do not have to listen to their mythology.

They were innovators and though their crimes were not new they were on a scale unheard of before their time.

Rome was similar. Everything they did was known before the romans came but they killed and enslaved on a scale and efficiency never heard of before. They were innovators too.

They also enforced peace over the Mediterranean World for four centuries, with occasional failures, but far more peace and prosperity than had been known in the previous centuries of the Hellenistic Age.  Yes, the Romans were ruthless, and sometimes brutal, but so were their rivals and enemies.  The Romans brought a rule of law and if they were slavers, they were also civilizers.  You can't readily divide up the good and the bad because they were all tangled together.

Napoleon, likewise, has little in common with Hitler or Stalin, or Pol Pot, or Mao, or their ilk.  Neither the Romans nor Napoleon made the error of thinking they could rewrite human nature, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc. tried to do exactly that.

(Napoleon actually brought an end to that kind of thinking in the French Revolution.)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2017, 09:30:41 AM »
They also enforced peace over the Mediterranean World for four centuries, with occasional failures, but far more peace and prosperity than had been known in the previous centuries of the Hellenistic Age.  Yes, the Romans were ruthless, and sometimes brutal, but so were their rivals and enemies.  The Romans brought a rule of law and if they were slavers, they were also civilizers.  You can't readily divide up the good and the bad because they were all tangled together.

Napoleon, likewise, has little in common with Hitler or Stalin, or Pol Pot, or Mao, or their ilk.  Neither the Romans nor Napoleon made the error of thinking they could rewrite human nature, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc. tried to do exactly that.

(Napoleon actually brought an end to that kind of thinking in the French Revolution.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1038453/The-French-Fuhrer-Genocidal-Napoleon-barbaric-Hitler-historian-claims.html

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2017, 09:20:31 AM »
People kill people. Always have and always will. Those in charge of alot of people are able to kill alot of people. That is history, that is the present, and that will be the future.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2017, 12:32:13 PM »
Sooo...what were we talking about?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2017, 02:02:06 PM »
Sooo...what were we talking about?
Wyatt Earp's historical persona, Legend Vs Fact.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »
Wyatt Earp's historical persona, Legend Vs Fact.
And more in general:

Humans making myths about historical persons
The differences between their real and mythical personality
Humans believing the myth, the power of myth in real life
What is true in the dresdenverse, the myth or the real version
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2017, 06:40:12 PM »
Ah, good.  Those are far better topics, safely clear of Godwin's Law :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2017, 04:46:02 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1038453/The-French-Fuhrer-Genocidal-Napoleon-barbaric-Hitler-historian-claims.html

The author of that needs to do a better job on his history.  He combines wartime deaths, rebellions, and a number of other things to produce a sensationalist (and mostly invalid) comparison.

Which is itself typical of the back-and-forth.  It's somewhat traditional for historical views of large figures to go back and forth from "he was a hero" to "he was a villain" and back again as fashions change.  The truth always remains stubbornly inconvenient, because it rarely fits into a given era's preferences.  Oliver Cromwell, Columbus, Shaka Zula, Abraham Lincoln, you name the figure.

Yes, even Lincoln.  For ex, was Lincoln trying to avoid war when he had Anderson fortify the island in Charleston Harbor...or was he intentionally dangling bait to goad the Confederates into firing first?  Depends on who you ask.  We can't find out because the Council would get all sword-happy if we traveled back to 1860 and read Lincoln's mind.

Ditto Earp.  How much of his legend is legend, how much is real, and how much of what we think is the reality is actually legend?  Impossible to say with certainty.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:51:32 AM by LordDresden2 »

Offline MarcelRED147

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2017, 05:59:23 PM »
Yes. Kemmler was in this story.

Kemmler is Grindelwald, surely. Sorry for necroposting, seemed fitting given the thread though.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 06:18:39 PM by MarcelRED147 »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2017, 07:04:58 PM »
Was anyone else underwhelmed by Kemmler?  Did not seem very impressive, or formidable in the least.  Didn't set him apart from a run of the mill warlock.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2017, 07:17:17 PM »
The truth? No. I liked what I saw.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline dillic1

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2017, 08:21:31 PM »
Humans making myths about historical persons
The differences between their real and mythical personality
Humans believing the myth, the power of myth in real life
What is true in the dresdenverse, the myth or the real version

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.  lol

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2017, 09:43:59 PM »
Was anyone else underwhelmed by Kemmler?  Did not seem very impressive, or formidable in the least.  Didn't set him apart from a run of the mill warlock.
Kemmler was younger and less powerful, decades later he was much more more dangerous. Look how more powerful Harry had become in a bit over a decade.