Author Topic: Smaug, Mr. Ferro... and Dollar Signs in the Eyes  (Read 12055 times)

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Smaug, Mr. Ferro... and Dollar Signs in the Eyes
« on: June 30, 2017, 03:47:41 AM »
Earlier today, I was doing a bit of research for a side project of mine, and stumbled across Forbes Fictional 16. Listed at number two was Smaug(Sadly, no relation), with 54 billion dollars in estimated wealth. And, that got me wondering: How much is Ferrovax worth? I get that he's a semi-divine being, but he's a Dragon. And, Dragons have hoards. I'm curious what you think one-thousand(or more!) years of interest and investments would get him. Alternatively, maybe he doesn't make investments. Could he just sit on it instead(doubtful, given his vault at Marcone's place)?

Thoughts?

NOTE: This is purely for silly, random fun. So... have fun with it!
Cookies are awesome. Join the Dark Side.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Smaug, Mr. Ferro... and Dollar Signs in the Eyes
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 05:39:40 AM »
I think he's loaded.  Would he have investments?  I dunno.  I think gold, jewels, rare artwork, literature, and powerful magical relics are more his style.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Tiberius

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 11:24:39 AM »
I think he's loaded.  Would he have investments?  I dunno.  I think gold, jewels, rare artwork, literature, and powerful magical relics are more his style.
Well, those are investments. They just aren't that liquid (apart from the gold, which can be quickly sold for cash). But who needs liquid assets when you are an immortal that's as old as the world.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 02:31:07 PM »
Reference post with what we know about Ferro's wealth thus far:

In GP he was given a case several million dollars worth of gold and jewels. 

2016 DF Reddit podcast Q&A
What did Ferrovax receive at Bianca's party?
He got gold and gems.  Not like a ton, it was several million dollars worth. 

In SG, he had stored "rows upon rows of closed, Fireproof safes"

And an honorable mention regarding Dragon Hordes: 
2014 AMA
1) What ever happened to Siriothrax's hoard? Did any of the magical powerups in the series we've seen so far originate there?
1) Heh, it's still right where it was. NO ONE wants to pick up anything from a Dragon's hoard. Talk about Death Curses...
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 05:31:56 PM »
^ Maybe they just need a little https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0ry4qBSX2U

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 09:07:37 PM »
Reference post with what we know about Ferro's wealth thus far:

In GP he was given a case several million dollars worth of gold and jewels. 

In SG, he had stored "rows upon rows of closed, Fireproof safes"

And an honorable mention regarding Dragon Hordes:

Interesting, I always wondered what the gift was..  thought it was something more impressive than that.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 10:01:55 PM »
A dragon hoard is cursed, but what if the treasure is taken after it has passed through multiple hands. The treasure is set to go after thieves, but after a couple dozen transactions, are they still thieves.
I totally see someone using cursed treasure to eliminate others, then reclaim it safely.

There is a common theme of you can't protect yourself from your own energy. I wonder if the curse is best suited to mess with dragons, they would see each other as the greatest competition.

While the curse is sure to be awesome, I still think there would be ways to by pass it. Dresden is always learning secrets that would get him killed so why not one more. We know there are very few true dragons left, 2 I think, so there treasure would be very useful. Not for the wealth, but the artifacts, knowledge and magic they would contain. They might be a treasure hoard, but you can bet, there is enough to make it an armory in the right conditions.
k moinuddin

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 11:19:50 PM »
You unearthed a woj I hadn't seen about what was the gift to Ferro.

I got a wag that the red court placed their repository in New Mexico at such a dragon hoard location and consequently paid for it.  I still wonder if a some time travel plot plants some items or leads in changes to help Harry.  He'll, I have two overlayed Harry's talking to Mrs. Spunklecrief.  One who just thinks she is a hard of hearing, old lady.  Another that views her as a real player giving hints to shape outcomes.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 10:24:40 PM »
It is believed the gift to the dragon was tainted, similar to the athame. If added to the treasure hoard, could it alter the curse on it?
k moinuddin

Offline unity1813

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 11:59:40 PM »
I got a wag that the red court placed their repository in New Mexico at such a dragon hoard location and consequently paid for it.

iirc only Harry, Martin, and Susan knew the location of that Red Court vault. Is it standing abandoned in the desert, just waiting for Harry to remember and use it as his personal arcane walmart?

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 04:18:24 AM »
It is believed the gift to the dragon was tainted, similar to the athame. If added to the treasure hoard, could it alter the curse on it?

Believed by who?  The only WoJ I've seen on the matter was ambiguous, someone asked him if Ferro's gift was tainted like Lea's, and he said, 'Oh please." or something like that.

Which of course doesn't really answer the question.  Was JB saying being sarcastic, dismissing the idea that Ferro could fall for something like that?  Or was he being sarcastic about the idea that he would reveal something like that?  Or he could just as easily have been saying, "Of course it was!"

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 07:02:46 PM »
iirc only Harry, Martin, and Susan knew the location of that Red Court vault. Is it standing abandoned in the desert, just waiting for Harry to remember and use it as his personal arcane walmart?

I wonder about this.

Those caves were owned by a company or companies that were controlled by the Rampires.  With the Rampires gone, would the companies be gone as well?

If not, then wouldn't the security and such still be in place?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 03:19:36 AM »
The management and possibly securit would definitly have been Demi rcv. So it is possible for a time the low levels managed it, but any magics or protections that required the rcv would have failed. So any tone would have gone after these outposts.
k moinuddin

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 02:20:23 PM »
As to Ferrofax ... I can't believe he wouldn't want to grow his "hoard".  Thus, I believe he'd have investments.  He does have vaults (assuming Marcone's isn't the only one).

As to his value.  I'd say he's orders of magnitude above folks like Warren Buffet or any of the Princes of Arabia.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 02:36:42 PM »

Only if Bianca had a death wish (I know I know, but pretend she didn't expect to die via Harrybomb).  Ferro is a Dragon, capital "D", remember?  As in Immortal Force of Nature On Par With Mab.  And Ferro is quite a bit more direct than Mab.  I'm pretty sure if the ramps had been dumb enough to curse his gift, he would have wiped them out for the insult.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.