Author Topic: Morgan le Fay...  (Read 4960 times)

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Morgan le Fay...
« on: June 24, 2017, 02:01:29 AM »
It's obvious that there some significant connection between Camelot and Harry's time and situation.  He's the Warden of a prison created by Merlin himself, Merlin, like Harry, was apparently a Guardian of the Swords, maybe a starborn, etc.  Even the shape of Harry's world flows back to those days, in the form of the current structure of the White Council.  His mother even carried the 'le Fey' title.

But what about her namesake?  Did, or does, the infamous Morgan le Fey herself play some role in this unfolding puzzle?

If so, is it a coincidence that Harry's first sexual/romantic relationship was with his 'sister' (in legal semi-technicality, anyway), who happens to be named Elaine?

(By some accounts, Morgan used sorcery to trick her brother Arthur into fathering a child with her, the infamous Mordred.  Other accounts give that role to a different sister, Morgause.)

I'm wondering if we'll see Morgan herself pop up at some point...or if Merlin locked her away under Demonreach.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan le Fay...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 04:30:33 AM »
OK, I just ran across a word of Jim on the subject of Morgan le Fey...

What is the Black Athame, and what is it’s relation to Medea’s Bodkin?
The Black Athame was Morgan La Fay’s athame.  That was the one that got traded around in Grave Peril… at the vampire costume party.  Well an Athame is the original knife that was used in magic, and while they aren’t necessarily magical themselves, if you involve them in enough really cool big things that are going on, they start gaining their own sort of power and their own sort of awareness.  Which is not to say they become intelligent or anything, but they become very extremely dangerous tools.  And that one was a very, very dangerous tool, on a level with Ammoracchius, which is why it got traded that way.  Medea’s Bodkin is another Athame that is far older, and is used more classically documented witches.  The ones who actually survived falls of several empires there –you still hear about them- Also a very bad news kind of implement, just so you know.   

OK, so the Athame was Morgan le Fay's...that's interesting.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:58:00 AM by LordDresden2 »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 05:35:08 PM »
While I think that more of the Camelot story is going to come to light and be relevant, I dont actually expect too many of the player of that time to make personal appearance.  Merlin himself is a Strong Maybe, and some details of Arthur and the Sword from those days could prove relevant.   Im thinking Morgan La Fey will remain as relevant as her Athame, which may or may not have served it's purpose already. 

PS:
La Fey?  Le Fay? Le Fey? La Fay?

from my high-school french I think it should be "La", being a feminine Name, so Im voting "La Fey"
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline unity1813

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 04:33:47 AM »
If so, is it a coincidence that Harry's first sexual/romantic relationship was with his 'sister' (in legal semi-technicality, anyway), who happens to be named Elaine?

Elaine Mallory, no less. If that's not a nudge towards Le Morte d'Arthur then I don't know what is.

I'm leaning towards a reincarnation/echoes of the past explanation myself, but there are so many references back to Arthurian myth that I'm going to be honestly surprised if Harry passes on Amoracchius without pitching a tantrum and stabbing it into a stone first.

I do think that whatever else is going on, the players in the past aren't necessarily repeating in the same roles or following the same paths- hence Morgan Le Fay is Harry's (Merlin's?) mother, and the role of psuedo-incestuous sister is instead played by  the Lady of Shalott (Elaine). For that matter, OG Merlin's father was rumoured to be an incubus- hello, Thomas.

If I recall correctly, in some traditions Arthur was mortally wounded by Mordred but didn't die- he was instead entombed at Avalon to sleep until his messianic return to save the realm in the hour of greatest need. British-seeming stasis-prisoner on DR doesn't seem like such a stretch in that light, but I've got even odds on Good King Johnny Marcone stepping up to the plate. He's already been betrayed by a lover, but instead of sleeping around 'Guinevere' sold him out to the Denarians.

It's a pretty loose theory and I'm not familiar enough with Arthurian myth to carry it any further, except that having a prominent antagonist-slash-ally named Morgan probably isn't a coincidence either.

Offline lynde4

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 09:09:59 PM »
There's Elaine, there's Harry's mother, There's Harry's best friend, the knight of the Cross. There's the fact that Harry keeps being handed a sword that was once in the custody of a man who was called Wart when he was a boy. Hey even Harry's half brother plays into this Arthurian thing. .  .

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 12:39:06 AM »
With Morgana being a signifigant connector to Nemesis via the dagger, one wonders how, more than if the newer le fay and her connections to evil doers comes into play? always been the biggest part of Morgana to me, HEY there's another le fay recently!?
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Bakoro

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 04:25:00 AM »
Not too long ago I was talking to someone about this. I was thinking that Mab is Morgana or Morgause, and one of her sisters is Titania. 

The Athame is supposed to be on par with the greatest of the Swords, but Jim said it wasn't so much what the Sword was, than who it belonged to. Just being Morgana's and being used in a ton of high-level magic might be enough, but that's some *serious* juice to have for just being passively charged, the Swords were made by a Cosmic event, and this athame was made just from just one Wizard lady, even if a crazy-powerful one? One would think that there'd be at least a few more things like that floating around if it was that simple. (Of course this is all hindered a bit by the presence of Nemesis, which might have made an unequal trade possible.)   
If Mab was Morgana though, then it all makes sense. Lea didn't want it just because it was powerful, she wanted it because it was Mab's or Titania's. It would mean that the blade has a strong personal connection to a current Queen, and *that* warrants it having serious power, and would explain why Lea having it caused such a big power imbalance that Mab felt she couldn't be allowed to keep it. 

That would put Mab as a contemporary (and possible apprentice/lover/foe) of the original Merlin (Hmm, Molly/Harry parallel? See: Mary Stewart), a sister to a Knight of the Cross, and she'd have been a legendary badass even before becoming Lady. The timeline fits since we know by WoJ that Nicodemus is older than Mab. 
Around Arthurian Times Mab becomes Lady, and probably around the Battle of Hastings becomes Queen. 

This is where it gets  muddy though. In *The Once and Future King* series, Morgana and Morgause get merged. It would seem that Jim drew from this at least a little, since one of the books is titled "The Queen of Air and Darkness".

There's lots of versions of Arthurian legend, so it depends a lot on where Jim chooses to draw most from, and it's likely that he'll pick and choose from various places as-needed, and put his own spin on it all.

Until proven otherwise, I'm solidly in the belief that Mab and Titania are Morgause and Morgana (Elaine, the third sister wasn't really a primary character). I was more thinking that Mab was Morgana until I read about the Once and Future King Series, after that, it seemed obvious (almost tooobvious though...).