Author Topic: WAG: What Rashid's Eye Does...  (Read 10194 times)

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
WAG: What Rashid's Eye Does...
« on: June 20, 2017, 08:25:39 PM »
In the DV, power often comes with a drawback that prevents its overuse.

We've seen one artifact -- the Blackstaff -- with the power to eliminate the main drawback of black magic (the taint).

What if Rashid's Eye does something similar, but with the Sight?  Maybe it acts as a filter -- the Eye uses the Sight and then passes a weaker version of the image on to Rashid.  So he doesn't get an unforgettable memory and isn't overwhelmed.

This would let him, a mortal wizard, use the Sight nearly continuously -- like on a stream of fae soldiers marching back through the Outer Gates -- without losing his sanity, making it an excellent tool for exactly the job he does.

If this is right, then Rashid has more experience using the Sight than any sane wizard, by far.  He should be really good at extracting information from the usually rather abstract information the Sight provides.  (At least as we've seen it through Harry's third eye.)

This could explain a lot of his apparent Foresight, and what he did when his false eye looked Harry up and down at the docks on Demonreach. 

Thoughts?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: WAG: What Rashid's Eye Does...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:07:01 PM »

One of the things the eye does as verified in Cold Days is act as a Nemesis detector.. Remember he scanned all returning soldiers that came through the Gates with it looking for infection.
page339 Cold Days paperback
"I don't recommend making a regular practice of it," he continued.  "It's an art, and not a skill, and it takes time.  Time,or a bit of questionable attention from the Fates and a ridiculously enormous tool."  He tapped a finger against his false eye.

Offline jb3435

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:47:58 PM »
And what would be a good way of seeing Nemesis taint? Sight

One of the things the eye does as verified in Cold Days is act as a Nemesis detector.. Remember he scanned all returning soldiers that came through the Gates with it looking for infection.
page339 Cold Days paperback
"I don't recommend making a regular practice of it," he continued.  "It's an art, and not a skill, and it takes time.  Time,or a bit of questionable attention from the Fates and a ridiculously enormous tool."  He tapped a finger against his false eye.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 11:01:02 PM »
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure that the foreseeing Rashid did on the island has anything to do with the eye.  I'm wondering if that's just a thing Rashid can do regardless, and it looks like the eye is involved just because eyes are what we use for seeing.

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 11:22:46 PM »
This was my theory from a few years ago but the debbie doubters here didn't take it up.

It makes sense with dresden stepping on the island because then Rashid would be able to see the power levels in Harry skyrocket
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 11:49:47 PM »
This was my theory from a few years ago but the debbie doubters here didn't take it up.

It makes sense with dresden stepping on the island because then Rashid would be able to see the power levels in Harry skyrocket

"Rashid, what does the Scouter say about his power level?"

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 02:04:42 AM »
One of these days, I'm going to have to watch Dragon Ball Z... just so I can get all the right nerdy jokes.  :)

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 02:10:38 AM »
Save time, watch Dragon Ball Z Abridged.  You'll get more jokes and it's quicker.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »

The eye is a Nemesis detector, it has it's own disguise even... page 338 of Cold Days hardback

"Your job is so secret, your false eye gets a disguise?" I asked.  "Guess I see why you miss a lot of Council meetings." He inclined his head and ruffled his fingers through mussed, tousled hood hair.  "It can be quiet for years here, sometimes.  And others. . . "  He spread his hands.  "But they need a good eye here to be sure that the things that must remain outside do not slip in unnoticed."
"Inside the wounded."  I guessed.  "Or returning troops.  Or medics."

Offline Tiberius

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 05:02:48 PM »
"Rashid, what does the Scouter say about his power level?"
IT'S OVAAAAH NINE THOUSAAAAND!!!!!!
I don't think so. Harry still isn't even a Hiroshima level threat.

Now that I've done my bit of funposting, I think that Rashids eye is the one Odin sacrificed, which is why Rashid has a special interest in Harry (if Rashid=time travel Harry isn't true), because of the sympathetic link with Odin.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 09:04:21 PM »
IT'S OVAAAAH NINE THOUSAAAAND!!!!!!
I don't think so. Harry still isn't even a Hiroshima level threat.

Now that I've done my bit of funposting, I think that Rashids eye is the one Odin sacrificed, which is why Rashid has a special interest in Harry (if Rashid=time travel Harry isn't true), because of the sympathetic link with Odin.
I dunno, I vaguely remember doing some math on that Ley-line fueled Gravity spell in Changes and it was no joke;  convert that to a point gravity well instead of a vector reversal and you might just be able to get a nuclear spark.  :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 02:17:20 PM »
I got the impression from the exchange in Cold Days that the eye aids him, but isn't definite.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »
I got the impression from the exchange in Cold Days that the eye aids him, but isn't definite.

Yeah, I think it is pretty definite..

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 04:38:50 PM »
Since we know that Nemesis is already on our side of the wall, is Rashid scanning for other Nemeses trying to come through or is there only one?  If only one, does Rashid not know that there is one already inside?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 06:57:52 PM »
Since we know that Nemesis is already on our side of the wall, is Rashid scanning for other Nemeses trying to come through or is there only one?  If only one, does Rashid not know that there is one already inside?
Whether Nemesis is one entity or a legion of them, we know it can infect multiple beings at one time (Maeve and Sith, Maeve and Lea), so he'd need to keep vigilance. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain