Author Topic: My New Character Idea: Suggestions Wanted  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
My New Character Idea: Suggestions Wanted
« on: June 14, 2017, 08:29:23 PM »
Basically: I picked up my Dresden Files RPG rulebooks for the first time in a long time yesterday. And, suddenly it was four in the morning and I was giggling manically as I sketched out a character concept and started resuming talks with my gaming group about seeing if we could start up a campaign. It having been a few years since I last played, I figured I'd run the ramblings of my sleep-deprived, unmedicated(I may have forgotten to take them yesterday... oops...), and multi-tasking mind by you guys to make certain I wasn't being absurd(more than usual...).

The primary issue with my idea is that, when it comes to story, the character's pre-game development depends a lot on starting power level. For example, if we were to begin at "Feet In the Water" I would probably start the character very near the beginning of his story(in my head), perhaps right around when his powers began to develop. If we were to start closer to "Submerged" I would probably make him a little older, with a bit more understanding of magic and the supernatural world in general. This would naturally have a whole range of effects on how the character was written up on the character sheet. So, what I list below(skills, powers, etc) are not necessarily the ones I will be taking. They are merely things I saw that looked cool and that I thought fit with my idea. So...

Name: Nathaniel "Nathan" Graves

Story: It's like Dresden said: Warlocks - most of them, anyway - are just kids. They're untrained, and they don't know any better. They've never heard of the Laws of Magic until some mysterious, hulking figure in a grey cloak steps out of the darkness with a silver sword. One day, this fifteen year old discovers he or she has the ability to do... things... and they get to thinking. Hell, practically the first thing most of them try is the old Jedi Mind Trick. Maybe they ask a teacher for an extension on their homework? From there.. they get a date with the hot cheerleader they've always had a crush on. Then... more. Nathan's story isn't any different.

He got dealt a shit hand, and by the time he knew what was going on... there wasn't any way back. One day, he accidentally did a bit of magic on the way home from school. But, halting a fall against pavement before the impact was only the first step. Floating pebbles came easily. Then he started seeing things. No. Not things... people. People that weren't there. People who were dead. His curiosity piqued. Really, who wouldn't be curious?

The changes weren't immediately obvious to his parents and teachers. He still laughed with his friends, hung out in the basement gaming and working on cosplays for conventions. His friends and he became more secretive. They stayed out later. They stopped playing so many computer games, focusing more on the paper-and-pencil variety. But, well... everyone changes in high school, and damn it but the house's electricity seemed to be on the fritz. Then one of the teachers had a break down and went off the grid.

It was a weird few weeks.

In truth, they probably should have been more concerned, even if they wouldn't believe the truth had they known it. Nathan had done his first bit of magic on his way home from school during sophomore year: halting a fall before he hit the pavement. Just... floating there. Then he had a migraine and a bit of a freak out. But... well... who could blame him for being a bit curious? And, playing a necromancer in his best friend's D&D campaign gave him a very bad kind of curious.

High Concept: Gamer, Cosplayer... Necromancer?
Trouble: In Over My Head

Performance
Alertness
Empathy
Presence
Deceit

Reasoning: He's a nerd and a gamer, which is one reason I love the character so much. And, he would post YouTube vids and stream gameplay before his magic developed. He wasn't a big channel, but he was monitored and making some money at it. Alertness, I feel reflects the awareness he needed while gaming to keep track of the in-game environment. Performance, along with most of his other social skills are about his streaming and his ability to maintain an audience's attention while doing that. Deceit... well, he messed up, and he knows it. He doesn't know exactly how big a trouble he's in for Law breaking. So, he's kind of new to the whole lying to people bit, and mostly does it to keep the fact he's a warlock under wraps.

Craftsmanship
Resources

Reasoning: Why craftsmanship? He makes his own cosplay, that's why. And he's good at it. His stuff has won a few competitions. Yeah... he's a nerd. That's one reason I love this idea so much. Resources would probably in the "fair" tier. After developing magic, he can't really do video games anymore, which was how he was making money(outside of an allowance if the game begins around Feet In the Water).

Conviction
Discipline
Lore

Reasoning: Magic... 'Nuff said. But, Lore would probably be lower than Conviction and Discipline. He's new to this whole magic thing and doesn't really know much outside of the gaming manuals he and his friends have dug through, and the few - usually misleading - books they've checked out of the supernatural section of the library. If he's older, this could probably be a bit higher, but I don't really want him to be the magical compendium of knowledge. He's very much in over his head and unsure where exactly to turn.

Weapons
Guns

Reasoning: He's a nerd, and an American(probably). Where would he be without a basic understanding of how weapons work, and an unusual(to some) interest in swords.

Athletics
Endurance
Investigation or Contacts

Reasoning: These seem useful...

Possible Powers

Lawbreaker (First, Third or Fifth): He's going to develop these at some point, and I'd like to start the game with one of them. I'm just not sure which one yet. First Law will probably happen later on.

Ghost Speaker: Nathan is powerful, even if he's fumbling along untrained. I see this as kind of the beginnings of his Sight coming in.

Evocation and Thaumaturgy:: He's a powerful guy. If he hadn't done what every teenager would do, he'd be White Council material.

Kemmlerian Necromancy: How can I not get this eventually? It fits so well... Plus! As a bonus, It has both Kemmler's and my name in it! Though... that's probably not a good thing.

Refinement: It's kind of a must for magic users eventually.

I've got a few other ideas, too. Like, if I ever die I might come back as a living corpse and just take the -1 for Living Dead or possibly come back as a ghost.

A Few Notes
- Nathan's friends are in on the whole "magic is real thing. Their views are carried. Some think it's cool. Others are a bit afraid. A couple have started trying to learn magic themselves. Though, none of them are quite as powerful.
- Nathan is not a good person. I mean, he is... or was at one point in his early development. But, eventually, the corrupting influence of dark magic and the constant hunt by the White Council to take off his head got to him. He still does what he thinks is helping people... but he's not too scrupulous about his methods later on.

Thoughts?
Suggestions?
Flames?
Cookies are awesome. Join the Dark Side.

Offline Stormraven

• Conversationalist
  • Heading for Left Field at Warp 9
    • View Profile
Re: My New Character Idea: Suggestions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 03:25:21 AM »
I see nothing wrong in the reasoning given for skills and such. He looks like a viable character mechanically.

Frankly though - and this may just be me - I don't think his biggest problem is what power level the game will start at. As I read it, he's a Warlock, pure and simple. I wouldn't allow a character like that in one of my games, not without major revisions.

However, I don't run bad guy campaigns. Maybe he'd fit well in one of those.
I will choose a path that's clear; I will choose Freewill.

The Sorceress Sleuth
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGUR81W

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 04:55:35 AM »
UPDATE!

I was just informed about ten minutes ago that I would probably be the GM for the campaign... which, actually kind of makes sense. I am probably the most familiar with the series amongst my group. So, maybe he'll turn out to be a viable end boss for a story arc during the campaign? That would be, of course, after he has developed over the course of the game, appearing on-and-off throughout.
Cookies are awesome. Join the Dark Side.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »
Since you are GMing:

- If he hides his necromancy tendencies, maybe he could be a mentor to one of the PCs. 
- Maybe he could be a prominent figure in the City? You said he wouldn't start bad so maybe he's not totally corrupted yet.  He could be a politician or maybe the head of the Chamber of Commerce or something.  Gives the PCs a chance to defeat him(or convince him to change his ways) or maybe they save him from a snoopy Warden and start working with him.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 12:45:25 PM »
Since you are GMing:

- If he hides his necromancy tendencies, maybe he could be a mentor to one of the PCs. 
- Maybe he could be a prominent figure in the City? You said he wouldn't start bad so maybe he's not totally corrupted yet.  He could be a politician or maybe the head of the Chamber of Commerce or something.  Gives the PCs a chance to defeat him(or convince him to change his ways) or maybe they save him from a snoopy Warden and start working with him.
Oooh, How about you give him prominence via nepotism (heir to a business empire or some such) and word gets out that he's showing a disturbing aptitude for necromancy, and could be going Dark.  Then, it's a recruiting race, with any number of Supernatural interests hoping to swoop in and claim this particularly useful Asset.  Your party then gets to decide for themselves whether their goal will be to Save him, or just to be the first to Use him, but either way they it will be a race against Fairies and Fallen and Wardens and Black Wizards and any other faction you could name that likes Power (or wants to contain it)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Stormraven

• Conversationalist
  • Heading for Left Field at Warp 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »
Yeah, as an end boss, he'd work well. I like the ideas presented. Especially if you start him off with just a single lawbreaker stunt, I could see him slipping through the Warden's cracks. As he gains in temporal power, he gains in magical power and eventually, he'll come to the attention of the PCs.

If one of them is a Warden by that point, drama.
I will choose a path that's clear; I will choose Freewill.

The Sorceress Sleuth
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGUR81W

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 06:18:05 PM »
I'd "stealth" him a bit more at first:

Gamer, geek, nerd, underdog... the sorta person the players sympathize/empathize with.  They'll feel like He's One Of Us, and defaults to being one of the Good Guys.

A bit later... hey, presto!  Geek makes good, rags to riches, good going dude!  Yeah, ok, maybe some compromises on the way, but still one of the Good Guys.  He's made a few sketchy contacts, but who hasn't?

Later still... Damn.  He's let things get to his head a bit, needs to get his shit together... leading to, "Glad we had this chat, Nathan.  I was getting worried."

Finally... Well screw me sideways.  With a cinderblock brick.  And no lube.  We thought he was one of the good guys, but he's full-on-Sith (and not cat-sith!)