Author Topic: ID animals, and figures from the books.  (Read 8168 times)

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
ID animals, and figures from the books.
« on: June 03, 2017, 01:41:56 AM »
Okay since the older topic is locked. lets try this again!

So in the ruins of Apia, there is a reference to a carving of a mule getting used against a horn giant -any idea what thats referencing? 

And since so many of the creatures and spieces came from different places, does anyone recognize the references?

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: ID animals, and figures from the books.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 01:52:37 AM »
I am wondering if taurgas were hairy versions of Pachycephalosaurus

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »
I am wondering if taurgas were hairy versions of Pachycephalosaurus

They are described as more bull-like but "considerably humpier about the shoulders" and cloven hooves. Though looking back the head description definitely sounds more like that thing than the oversized bull horns I was imagining. 

The closest thing Ive been able to come up with for the taurga was some kind of prehistoric version of a Woodland Musk Ox with oversized rear haunches made more for leaping. 

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 03:02:51 AM »
What about the thangadant thingy, and the slives... any thoughts?
I know the grass lion is like the sabertooth, and herdbane is like that large prehistoric flightless bird

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »
What about the thangadant thingy, and the slives... any thoughts?
I know the grass lion is like the sabertooth, and herdbane is like that large prehistoric flightless bird

Slives always sounded like Komodo dragons to me

Herdbane sound like Gastornis or maybe Terror birds
(click to show/hide)

Gargants are Megatherium (ie giant Ground Sloths)
(click to show/hide)

The Thanadents are feathered somethings with teeth, so best guesses ive seen are either a basal coelurosaur, a tyrannosauroid, or perhaps some sort of maniraptoriform.

As far Leviathans:
(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »
Levianthans cant be Gamera. For one thing they dont breath fire :p

I thought that Gargants were like Dire badgers. I think there is some reference to their smaller cousin the badger in First Lord's fury.  But Giant Sloth makes sense too.

I had a thought about Tarugas. maybe we split the difference and its one of the different dinos in the Triceratops family?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 03:26:51 PM »
Gargants are mentioned as cousins of the Badger, but I thought that the megatherium was something similar to a common ancestor (if not direct evolutionary heirs).

Taurga have "thick curly fur" so my brain just isnt willing to let settle for a dino image.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 03:28:30 PM by Quantus »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 11:24:17 PM »
What about a hairy rhino?

Also Icemen, I partially think they are a yeti, but they are described as not being taller than a man but wider with longer arms and heavy strength.
Anyone have thoughts on what the Children of the Sun and the other named only enemies -any idea what they are referencing?
Same thing about the Marat
I mean the Vord reminded me a bit of the Borg..

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »
What about a hairy rhino?

Also Icemen, I partially think they are a yeti, but they are described as not being taller than a man but wider with longer arms and heavy strength.
Anyone have thoughts on what the Children of the Sun and the other named only enemies -any idea what they are referencing?
Same thing about the Marat
I mean the Vord reminded me a bit of the Borg..
On the Children of the Sun, my money is them being a Plant-race, with innate Woodcrafting similar to the Ice-ment, and that they are still alive and well being sheltered by their god/Great Fury The Feverthorn Jungle

The few mentions of them say The Children of the Sun's "Realm rotted back into the Feverthorn Jungle" and that Alerans had defeated "the Children of the Sun and their stronghold in the Feverthorn Jungle" when the Marat and Canim could not.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Kram

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 11:10:35 PM »
Hi All,

I judged started a new topic related to the Children of the Sun in this Spoilers forum.

Quartus, I find your comments about the CotS really interesting! And reflect some of my own imagination of the race. Would be happy to have your thoughts on the topic!

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »
I always pictured Gargants as Elephants.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
I always pictured Gargants as Elephants.
Naw.. they are definitely the old prehistoric sloths -Jim confirmed that for me when I was getting my book signed at DragonCon last week. 

They are described as more bull-like but "considerably humpier about the shoulders" and cloven hooves. Though looking back the head description definitely sounds more like that thing than the oversized bull horns I was imagining. 

The closest thing Ive been able to come up with for the taurga was some kind of prehistoric version of a Woodland Musk Ox with oversized rear haunches made more for leaping. 

We were both wrong, I asked Jim this as DragonCon, (I lucked out at the end of a signing in Dealer Hall-no crowd and I could ask a few quick questions.)  He said its a reptilian rabbit like creature thats based on a picture in one of the old Monster Manuals (he said thought it was in 2nd edition of Monster Manual). 

As a side note, thanks to Reaper's Bones 4 kickstarter, in about 1.5 yrs I should have all the items I need to do a Codex Alera scene.  -I can use the Cave Sloth as a Gargants, theyve got Terror birds I can used for Herdbane, and there are other things that I can use to make it look like a Marat camp. :)