Author Topic: On Nemesis and Why it can't / doesn't infect Humans  (Read 15220 times)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
On Nemesis and Why it can't / doesn't infect Humans
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:52:07 PM »
Okay, I've long held the belief that nemesis cannot infect a human.  Though why exactly I don't know.  I personally think it has to do with the mutable nature of mankind's nature.  I think Nemesis allows one to change one's nature, and since mankind already can, there really isn't any point to infection.

Another bit of evidence that suggests to me that nemesis cannot infect mankind is this ....

If it could, why would it not infect a Wizard, and have them simply summon outsider after outsider after outsider into reality until there is an overwhelming force?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: On Nemesis and Why it can't / doesn't infect Humans
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 03:47:00 AM »
Question, were Lord Raith and/or Vittorio Nfected?

White Court are human enough to have a certain amount of Free Will. In theory, if humans are immune to being Nfected, they should be as well.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 04:30:46 AM »
Vitto was possessed by an Outsider, but Nemesis was not named.

Okay, I've long held the belief that nemesis cannot infect a human.  Though why exactly I don't know.  I personally think it has to do with the mutable nature of mankind's nature.  I think Nemesis allows one to change one's nature, and since mankind already can, there really isn't any point to infection.

Another bit of evidence that suggests to me that nemesis cannot infect mankind is this ....

If it could, why would it not infect a Wizard, and have them simply summon outsider after outsider after outsider into reality until there is an overwhelming force?
There were hundreds, if not thousands, of Outsiders attacking Demonreach in Cold Days.  They didn't just carpool in to reality.

We've seen exactly one Outsider summoning ritual, which utilized a death. If deaths are required, then it's no easy feat to do that on a mad scale and avoid the Council.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 05:43:22 AM »
Vitto was possessed by an Outsider, but Nemesis was not named.
There were hundreds, if not thousands, of Outsiders attacking Demonreach in Cold Days.  They didn't just carpool in to reality.

We've seen exactly one Outsider summoning ritual, which utilized a death. If deaths are required, then it's no easy feat to do that on a mad scale and avoid the Council.

I didn't read it the same as you.  I pictured a number of Outsiders, but more like in the dozens. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Anubissama

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 09:07:49 AM »
I was on the "Nemesis can't infect mortals" wagons once, but the theory has one big problem. In *Cold Days* Maeve heavily implies that she is going to infect Justin to have an in with the White Court.

Justin being a mortal, so that suggest that Nemesis can infect humans. As to why Nemesis didn't do the Brute Force solution (just possess all of the humanity and literally Nuke the Outergates) I'm assuming there is a hard limit on how many beings Nemesis can infect at once, and that's what stops it from taking that approach.
DV Anubissama V1.2 YR5 FR(M) 3 BK++++: RP++++: JB+: TH+++: WG: CL++: SW +(-): BC+: MC+++: SH(Molly)+++++:

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 11:30:37 AM »

Because summoning requires Free Will - which is why it requires a human.

So you can't compel someone to do it, and a possessing spirit can't do it using a human meat suit.

You have to persuade an uncompelled/uninfected human to do it.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 03:42:34 PM »
I didn't read it the same as you.  I pictured a number of Outsiders, but more like in the dozens.
Harry guesstimated more before he even saw their full numbers. 
Things were swarming up out of the lake, hideous and fascinating—hundreds of them.
And if I read it correctly, this was only a portion of the attack force working with one of three barges.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »

But some of the Fae or actually many of the Fae began as changelings.. Mab herself admits to being human once, Molly is human and as time goes on she will become more Fae... We know in Proven Guilty that presumably Mab was treating herself along with Lea for possible infection..  So if humans are immune, are half humans immune?  Are Fae who once were human immune?

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 09:05:15 PM »
Because summoning requires Free Will - which is why it requires a human.

So you can't compel someone to do it, and a possessing spirit can't do it using a human meat suit.

You have to persuade an uncompelled/uninfected human to do it.
Isn't one of the major dangers to the White Council the possibility that a wizard would be turned and then the Vampire Wizard would be able to open the doors to an outsider?

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 01:20:12 AM »
Isn't one of the major dangers to the White Council the possibility that a wizard would be turned and then the Vampire Wizard would be able to open the doors to an outsider?

Nope.

Quote from: Dead Beat

"I thought only mortal magic could call up Outsiders," I said quietly.

Luccio said quietly, "You are correct."

It's what had everyone's cage rattled about it in-story- the Outsider Presence proved the Red's had Human Wizards in the Roster.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 02:12:29 AM by forumghost »

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 01:55:47 AM »
Except that there's also a very specific quote talking about the dangers of having wizards turned by the Reds.  Maybe I'm thinking of the fact that they'd be privy to all the secrets and passwords and stuff of the White Council, but I was thinking the danger was also about the access to mortal magic.

Offline Anubissama

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 09:56:34 AM »
There is an unspoken agreement between Wardens not to get captured alive by the Reds because once you are turned into a Red Court Vampire you lose your loyalty to the White Council (if it is just the fact that you turn in to a soulless monster or if there is some Sire-bond going on and the Red that turns you forces you to switch loyalties isn't specifically explained) and you will betray all the secrets you know.

As for magical abilities, it is also said directly that you retain them, but you get the vampiric/necromantic equivalent of it (Dresden describes the power source of Vampire magic as that similar to necromantic energies, un-life magic, where's mortal magic is based on life energy).

If before you turned you could throw a lightning bolt with mortal magic, now you can throw a lightning bolt with necrotic magic. The effect is the same but on a metaphysical level it is like changing polarities and your magic does no longer count as mortal human magic, which is why the Outsiders showing up is such a big deal because it proves there are non-turned human Wizards supporting the Reds.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:58:13 AM by Anubissama »
DV Anubissama V1.2 YR5 FR(M) 3 BK++++: RP++++: JB+: TH+++: WG: CL++: SW +(-): BC+: MC+++: SH(Molly)+++++:

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 10:10:39 PM »
There is an unspoken agreement between Wardens not to get captured alive by the Reds because once you are turned into a Red Court Vampire you lose your loyalty to the White Council (if it is just the fact that you turn in to a soulless monster or if there is some Sire-bond going on and the Red that turns you forces you to switch loyalties isn't specifically explained) and you will betray all the secrets you know.

As for magical abilities, it is also said directly that you retain them, but you get the vampiric/necromantic equivalent of it (Dresden describes the power source of Vampire magic as that similar to necromantic energies, un-life magic, where's mortal magic is based on life energy).

If before you turned you could throw a lightning bolt with mortal magic, now you can throw a lightning bolt with necrotic magic. The effect is the same but on a metaphysical level it is like changing polarities and your magic does no longer count as mortal human magic, which is why the Outsiders showing up is such a big deal because it proves there are non-turned human Wizards supporting the Reds.

Of course with what we know now, I suspect a half-vampire like Martin would count as mortal-enough, and probably there would a magician or two among the servants of the literally damned Court.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 11:39:49 PM »
Of course with what we know now, I suspect a half-vampire like Martin would count as mortal-enough, and probably there would a magician or two among the servants of the literally damned Court.

Good point.  And they'd have a long, long life to study magic.

Offline prince lotore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 04:33:19 PM »
I believe that nemesis doesnt affect humans because it cant hurt them.  What it does is remove all obligations from the fey. without those obligations the fey so far have gone insane.  good bad or indifferent the fey only act because of their obligations to what ever group they are with.  with that removed they completely loose it.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a
ride!