Author Topic: Dog Men  (Read 6912 times)

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Dog Men
« on: June 01, 2017, 07:59:14 PM »
So... despite my meh opinion of the last comic... I sub'd up for this one as well. 

I'm desperate.  Guess that's the honest answer...

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Men
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 11:15:08 PM »
Should be out this month, but I haven't seen any previews.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 03:04:42 PM »
First issue out this week, and I am not so happy with the art work. It just strikes me as poor quality.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 03:20:40 PM »
The art is inconsistent and often lacks important detail. The story so far is a bit of a stretch, already seeing minor plot holes.

Story wise it also reminds me of Ghoul Goblin, which is not a good thing. It was nice to see Listens-to-wind, but he's drawn much more frail than I imagined him to be.
War Cry -

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 07:10:24 PM »
The reviews posted on Amazon weren't stellar so far.  One criticised the writing, saying that there clearly wasn't much editing going on.

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 07:32:40 PM »
*sigh* I'm not a big enough jerk just to not take delivery.  Guess I'll go grab my copy of a stinky comic. 

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 12:32:27 AM »
I was very confused when Listen to Winds said Harry was breaking one of the Laws of Magic by losing his temper when he nearly ran over a kid. I mean I love the team up and the concept but I feel like the writer is asleep at the wheel.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 08:49:24 AM »
I was very confused when Listen to Winds said Harry was breaking one of the Laws of Magic by losing his temper when he nearly ran over a kid. I mean I love the team up and the concept but I feel like the writer is asleep at the wheel.
I thought that a bit extreme too. The stupid kid deserved to be chewed out, he chased his friends onto a street and got them nearly run over.

Offline Anubissama

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 04:27:06 PM »

That's not really what happened though.

Some kid runs in front of Dresden's car chasing a friend while wearing a wolf mask. Dresden jumped out and was about to rough up the kid a bit for playing such stupid games and LtW stopped him. He then said that Harry's TEMPER and anger issue is what worries him about the situation and that he should report that to the Council since a Warden should be more in control of themselves because their job is upholding the Laws.

So he didn't really accuse him of breaking a Law just that he showed a worrying lack of control in the situation.
DV Anubissama V1.2 YR5 FR(M) 3 BK++++: RP++++: JB+: TH+++: WG: CL++: SW +(-): BC+: MC+++: SH(Molly)+++++:

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 04:36:07 PM »
I spied a typo in the comic, a case where they have 'to' instead of 'two'.

Timeline wise, where should this story fit?
I know its after Wild Card but just wondering if its before or after Turn Coat?

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 02:33:07 AM »
That's not really what happened though.

Some kid runs in front of Dresden's car chasing a friend while wearing a wolf mask. Dresden jumped out and was about to rough up the kid a bit for playing such stupid games and LtW stopped him. He then said that Harry's TEMPER and anger issue is what worries him about the situation and that he should report that to the Council since a Warden should be more in control of themselves because their job is upholding the Laws.

So he didn't really accuse him of breaking a Law just that he showed a worrying lack of control in the situation.
Well that might have been the intention of the writer but the comic said that Harry's job was to uphold the laws of magic not to violate them. It was clunky dialogue but behind the scenes they are aware of the shortcomings and the next issues should be much better.

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 01:43:54 PM »
Ok, latest issue, still typos and incorrect phrasing ... which just shouldn't happen.
I'm a terrible writer but my goodness I go through severe editing when I'm published.  I'm not kidding when I say 15 people look at what I write before it enters print ... and typos and bad phrasing are gone by the first group :/ 

That being said, I found this one a bit better.  Plus it made me think more and more that the Senior Council has a much different impression of Harry than Harry does.  Harry is much, much more dangerous than he gives himself credit for.  I've always assumed this but I think the gap he perceives is even a smidge smaller than what I previously presumed.  If Harry managed to live to 300, I imagine he'd be terrifying beyond the scale of anything demonstrated by Eb or Langtry and would actually be an entire level above someone like LtW (who I like and I actually like the way he's drawn... he just has saggier jowls than I imagined and slightly more gray in his hair).

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 07:32:20 PM »
Hate first chapter, but that's mostly cuz of werewolves. Dudes, there are no real werewolves in DF, now you put another kind... which is sucks as much as others.
Anyway, the art is not bad, but completely un-original. The story seems to be quite good, but simple, like DF short stories. But, I just doesn't see where it starts in timeline.
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.