Author Topic: Planning ahead?  (Read 3153 times)

Offline iceman75

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Planning ahead?
« on: May 26, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »
hey, there :)
I am new to this forum... so first to say hi :)

Actually there is only one question that keeps bugging my mind...
For now I managed to read all of the main Dresden Files. However, the story and the powers interacting with each other become more and more complex and even rather small side stories from early books seem so fit into the big picture of the Dresden world.
So here comes my question:
Is there any information around on how much Jim Butcher did plan the whole big picture ahead?
  • Like totally and he just keeps adjusting one or two details
  • Not at all and he just grabs a few breadcrums from the old stories that he thinks might somehow fit in?
  • somewhere in between?

J.K.Rowling who also wrote some sort of (part-) life story of their characters is said to have had the whole thing roughly in mind and then created the detail story/stories around it. Since the Dresden world is a tiny bit more complex I wonder how far Jim planned this...

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Planning ahead?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 06:02:47 PM »
First, Welcome to the Forums!

The first book was done as part of a writing class.  He had an outline of the entire series at that time, originally planned as 20 "casefile" books followed by a trilogy to cover the Apocalypse.  Last I recall he said he was a book or two behind that original count.  I dont know anyone that has actually seen said outline though, so I couldnt comment on what details appear in it. 

There are certain things that are known to have changed and/or evolved since that original plan.  Both Ivy and Butters were originally more or less through-away characters that became useful later, for example.  Also the events of Proven Guilt were originally planned before Dead Beat, but was re-arranged once it was confirmed that Book 7 was to be the first in Hardback (wanted a less intimate, more action-packed story that could be a decent entry point for new readers). 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain