Author Topic: Lara-Nemesis-Oblivion War  (Read 14562 times)

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Lara-Nemesis-Oblivion War
« on: May 23, 2017, 04:11:12 PM »
If this has been discussed elsewhere, please accept my apologies...

If Lara were to become nemfected, would that give Nemesis any advantage given her involvement in the Oblivion War?  Would Jim want to use that to bring that conflict into the main book series?

If I remember correctly that he doesn't plan to have Harry involved in the Oblivion War, is this a clue to show that Lara won't be nemfected in order to keep it out?

thoughts?

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Lara-Nemesis-Oblivion War
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 03:54:03 AM »
If this has been discussed elsewhere, please accept my apologies...

If Lara were to become nemfected, would that give Nemesis any advantage given her involvement in the Oblivion War?  Would Jim want to use that to bring that conflict into the main book series?

If I remember correctly that he doesn't plan to have Harry involved in the Oblivion War, is this a clue to show that Lara won't be nemfected in order to keep it out?

thoughts?

I'm not even 100% convinced that there is an Oblivion War.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 04:16:24 AM »
Thought Jim said the Oblivion War wouldn't be in the Dresden Files because Harry isn't supposed to know anything about it.

There is but it's more like something happening in the Dresden universe, but not the Dresden Files. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 04:22:37 AM »
The author bit in Side Jobs certainly makes it sound like there is. It could be Lara's manipulation, but that's awfully disingenuous and unresolveable within the scope of the series. In short, the met answer proves you wrong. 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 04:25:16 AM »
Ivy's existence is the Oblivion War..  Her purpose is to erase the Old gods from reality.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 02:20:27 PM »
Ivy's existence is the Oblivion War..  Her purpose is to erase the Old gods from reality.
Care to explain how storing knowledge of them erases knowledge of them? That seems... Off.

Offline phi1601

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »
Care to explain how storing knowledge of them erases knowledge of them? That seems... Off.
Basically, she coordinates the effort to remove books and other sources of information about the Old Gods. Then, when she hasn't heard a certain name come up in any source for 3 or 4 centuries she assumes that everyone else has forgotten about it and 'deletes' it from the archive.

It's a long game.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 02:38:05 PM »
Basically, she coordinates the effort to remove books and other sources of information about the Old Gods. Then, when she hasn't heard a certain name come up in any source for 3 or 4 centuries she assumes that everyone else has forgotten about it and 'deletes' it from the archive.

It's a long game.
Do we have a source on this? Because that is decidedly anti-neutral. And given the regular crazy associated with past Archives it seems like that would be ineffective. 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 02:53:19 PM »
Do we have a source on this? Because that is decidedly anti-neutral. And given the regular crazy associated with past Archives it seems like that would be ineffective.

Jim.  The Archive isn't neutral with the Old Gods, just in other things.  When it comes to killing people who are connected to the Old Ones Ivy is without mercy.  The only crazy i know of is her mother, and that's because she took on the mantle at such a young age.  Her mother was murdered, and she got it too early.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 02:55:31 PM by groinkick »

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 04:14:37 PM »
Jim.  The Archive isn't neutral with the Old Gods, just in other things.  When it comes to killing people who are connected to the Old Ones Ivy is without mercy.  The only crazy i know of is her mother, and that's because she took on the mantle at such a young age.  Her mother was murdered, and she got it too early.
You say her mother was murdered? Do you have a source for that?  As I recall, Ivy's mother was young(upper teens maybe twenty something?) and in love, when her mother was killed in a car crash, Ivy's mom flipped out over becoming the Archive and no longer having "her" life, that as soon as Ivy was born, she committed suicide.

From SmF
(click to show/hide)

Ahh, I just realized that you weren't talking about Ivy,but her mom... ok
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:18:41 PM by RobReece »

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 04:28:34 PM »

Aminar, here is the posting from Jim ...

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,34801.msg1663694.html#msg1663694
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 04:33:57 PM »
There's still plenty of damage Nemesis could do with control of Lara (assuming it can even control her in the first place) without needing to bring the Oblivion War into things.  I wouldn't put her at any more or less risk for infection because of it.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 04:36:59 PM »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
There's still plenty of damage Nemesis could do with control of Lara (assuming it can even control her in the first place) without needing to bring the Oblivion War into things.  I wouldn't put her at any more or less risk for infection because of it.

I'm still wondering IF Laura can be Nemfected.  The only real people I know of are the Sidhe that actually go bonkers.  You don't see people like Eb, or Langtry, or Rashid, getting Nemfected, and if they were it would be devastating.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 07:14:59 PM »
I'm still wondering IF Laura can be Nemfected.  The only real people I know of are the Sidhe that actually go bonkers.  You don't see people like Eb, or Langtry, or Rashid, getting Nemfected, and if they were it would be devastating.

||WAG Notice||

Unless you do, and it's call Black Magic and Going Warlock.  Or Dark Lord, in the case of a SC member.

So really, you only see Eb not getting Nemfected.  Which makes sense given who the Blackstaff used to belong to and who her real enemy is. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain