Poll

What is a Saint? (Vote as Many as you think apply)

Other (specify below to be added)
4 (11.4%)
Something that we have not seen yet (speculate below)
8 (22.9%)
Unique Individuals We've met (maybe Michael or Shiro? Specifiy candidate below)
3 (8.6%)
Any active Knight of the Cross (Including our own Patron Saint of Nerds)
1 (2.9%)
Any current or former Knight of the Cross (including Sanya, Michael, and Murphy)
0 (0%)
One Entrusted with Soulfire by Heaven (Like Harry after SmF)
4 (11.4%)
One who Died and Got Better (Like Harry after GS)
0 (0%)
Any true Holy Man (Like Father Forthill)
9 (25.7%)
A Deceased Agent of Heaven (Like Capt Jack)
2 (5.7%)
Anyone sufficiently talented at Faith Magic (comparable to a Wizard)
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: What is a Saint? (Series Spoilers)  (Read 42700 times)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Saint? (Series Spoilers)
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2017, 05:05:09 PM »
That might be the distinctive quality there though. Are they effected more by Belief and worship or disbelief that they are simply fictional? I'd wager the former effects them much more than the later. As one has a greater amount of, well faith if nothing else, applied to it.
Commercialized as santa is we turn around and tell our kids he's fake and nobody has any strong emotional ties to these new age Hades stories. He's not scary or awe inspiring or any other evocative emotion that might actually have some sort of magical juice tied to it. He's just a tropey bad guy who usually facilitates releasing real monsters. Bet the Kraken is getting bigger these days lol.

Perhaps since Hades IS, Belief in the newer versions of him don't require a change in him.  However something like Santa, since that is a mantle and not an actual being (any more), it's more subject to change based on belief?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 07, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »
Perhaps since Hades IS, Belief in the newer versions of him don't require a change in him.  However something like Santa, since that is a mantle and not an actual being (any more), it's more subject to change based on belief?
I like it, I really like it. It might actually work perfect and be applicable to other examples.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2017, 05:46:11 PM »
I like it, I really like it. It might actually work perfect and be applicable to other examples.
I like it as well, but currently it would require us to make entirely uninformed guesses as to where the Line between Mantle and Original Host is, and which mantled characters we know are /not/ the actual originals.  Vadderung is likely not the first Odin (Im starting to wonder if he wasnt the original Merlin before getting a promotion), but could easily be the first St Nic, and if he were a Changling originally could be the original Kringle as well.  We dont actually know a thing about Hades or whether he's the original or not (a mantle-pass during the greco-roman evolution would makes sense, for example).  The only ones that we know for certain arent their various Originals are all the Fae Queen Mantels except Mother Winter. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2017, 05:54:49 PM »
I like it as well, but currently it would require us to make entirely uninformed guesses as to where the Line between Mantle and Original Host is, and which mantled characters we know are /not/ the actual originals.  Vadderung is likely not the first Odin (Im starting to wonder if he wasnt the original Merlin before getting a promotion), but could easily be the first St Nic, and if he were a Changling originally could be the original Kringle as well.  We dont actually know a thing about Hades or whether he's the original or not (a mantle-pass during the greco-roman evolution would makes sense, for example).  The only ones that we know for certain arent their various Originals are all the Fae Queen Mantels except Mother Winter.
Uninformed isn't an optimal word here, even you used educated guesses just now ;)
The main thing that makes me think Hades is original is his discussion with harry on Persephone and his mordite crown. But the first one isn't sure because eventually he would believe he was Hades but, that doesn't seem the same as having the actual memories, otherwise Lily wouldn't be quite so ignorant. Second one is technically a theory based on a theory, I admit.
*the Greco-Roman thing, greek he was Hades, roman he was Pluto. could be same being, different name. Could be like the Ramps, a poser trying to steal his thunder. Could be all the greek gods became Nfected and their new persona's earned them new names... isn't guesswork fun!?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:59:09 PM by jonas »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 07, 2017, 07:19:57 PM »
Uninformed isn't an optimal word here, even you used educated guesses just now ;)
"Educated" implies data, and we have none. :)

Regarding Hades and his story about Persephone: dont forget that one of the main characters of that story is in fact 6 people at present, I wouldnt put too much literal weight on the Rockwellian tone of it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:22:06 PM by Quantus »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2017, 08:04:58 PM »
"Educated" implies data, and we have none. :)

Regarding Hades and his story about Persephone: dont forget that one of the main characters of that story is in fact 6 people at present, I wouldnt put too much literal weight on the Rockwellian tone of it.
we have plenty, it's just not quantifiable by any current measurements. Like Einstein's relativity when it came out, we have to look for solid foundations to base greater applied logic from and continually compare our gathered Data vs our presumed theorums. Otherwise we have nothing but Lore. :)