Author Topic: First Book  (Read 3242 times)

Offline JamesMHoward

• Lurker
    • View Profile
First Book
« on: May 21, 2017, 10:45:07 PM »
I don't know if this is the proper place to ask this question, but here goes.  I've been writing a book for a while now.  I don't plan to become a full time author even if I am successful.  I just want to tell a good story for others to enjoy.  I've heard an interview with Jim where he talks about that he didn't feel like his first book was his best work.  I understand he wrote this when he was in college.  Certainly I think the books got better as the series progressed, but it isn't obvious to me what Jim felt like his first book or two lacked.  I'm not looking for any overly detailed answer, but I'd like to know what kinds of things Jim felt like should have been done better at the beginning in general.  I want to look at those type things in my own book and see if I can make my first offering better than it currently is.

I discovered the Dresden Files only a couple of years ago, and they have quickly become some of my favorite books.  Thank you for all the good work Jim.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: First Book
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 01:09:28 AM »
I think that Jim Butcher trends toward the older style position, which isn't really wrong, that you have to write 3-5 books before you really hit your stride as an author.  that you need to write that many number of words and novels before you've honed your craft enough to get published.

Now I myself would never follow that advice and in fact put the first book I wrote up for sale as soon as it was edited.  the same with my other 14.  And to be fair he when he came up in the 90's you had to bring your A-game and a prayer in order to get published.  But his underlying point that you really need around 5 books to find yourself as an author and hone yourself is correct.  You'll probably get to within 80% of your maximum after around 5 books.  As in best writing and storytelling and gramar and etc.

But personally I'd run in past the beta's and get it edited and launch it.  Of course I wouldn't be afraid to go back over it a time or too for anything, non-story line, egregious.

my 2c

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)