Author Topic: Where to go to discuss Dresden Files Accelerated?  (Read 3462 times)

Offline jait

• Participant
    • View Profile
Where to go to discuss Dresden Files Accelerated?
« on: May 20, 2017, 09:39:27 PM »
Where is the appropriate place to discuss Dresden Files Accelerated?

I've been making a preliminary stab at developing an enchanted-item crafting system, and would very much like feedback....
--
DV v1.2 jait YR9 FR3(1) BK+ RP++++ JB- TH++ WG+ CL--- SW? BC+ MC+++++ SH(Sarissa+, Murphy++)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go to discuss Dresden Files Accelerated?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 04:43:17 AM »
DFA talk is totally welcome here.

I don't know DFA nearly as well as I know DFRPG, but I promise to try and look over what you've written.

If you don't get much response here (which is, I have to admit, likely) I suggest trying RPGnet or Google Plus.

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 05:23:23 AM »
I am hoping we get more traffic after the game's publication in mid-June. :)

I would also try the Dresden Files RPG sub-reddit.
@jeditigger on Twitter
Quote from: Spot
BatPooh! You shall be known as BatPooh now. Yup.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 02:22:07 PM »
i just got it myself, not sure what to make of it yet. From what i've read so far it is not at all compatible with the original. I am not sure what to think of it and why it was needed.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »
i just got it myself, not sure what to make of it yet. From what i've read so far it is not at all compatible with the original. I am not sure what to think of it and why it was needed.
"Needed" might be a strong word, but from what Ive gathered it was able to address some shortcomings that came out of the DFRPG rules, as well as updating with some of the more major revelations that have come out of the the setting itself (IE Mantles, etc). 

One thing Ive heard mentioned was that the DFRPG characters were, while very RP diverse, all ended up with very similar character sheets in terms stats and mechanical play experiences, so the DFA added more diversity on the play mechanics side of things. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 02:42:37 PM »
i will keep going over them i am hoping to be able to combine the two if possible using the best of both. I really like the normal game. I may have not been the target market still i have to own everything harry dresden

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »
One thing Ive heard mentioned was that the DFRPG characters were, while very RP diverse, all ended up with very similar character sheets in terms stats and mechanical play experiences, so the DFA added more diversity on the play mechanics side of things.

I sincerely hope this is what people find to be the case, because the conditions and stunts are very different from mantle to mantle. :)
@jeditigger on Twitter
Quote from: Spot
BatPooh! You shall be known as BatPooh now. Yup.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 07:42:59 PM »
Kinda surprised by that complaint about DFRPG. I've always found different characters to play very differently.

That's not to say that DFA doesn't differentiate well; I was worried it wouldn't, because of the association with Fate Accelerated, but that worry seems to have been unfounded.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 08:26:59 PM »
Kinda surprised by that complaint about DFRPG. I've always found different characters to play very differently.

That's not to say that DFA doesn't differentiate well; I was worried it wouldn't, because of the association with Fate Accelerated, but that worry seems to have been unfounded.
It definitely wasnt something that occurred to me prior.  But I can sort of see where they were coming from, depending on what they're expecting from the system.  Harkening back to me d20 days, Each class had at least one skill and/or set of Mechanics that was uniquely theirs; Rogues got sneak attack, Druids got Wildshape, different casting classes all used magic differently to one degree or another, etc.  The Mantles of DFA seem to accomplish that particular aspect a lot better than DFRPG.  As Im writing this Im thinking that you might consider DFRPG /too/ flexible, in that there are relatively few (if any) abilities that are exclusive; with enough refresh you can have ALL POWERS ALL SKILLS, and only Setting and story boundaries will limit your combinations.

That's not a bad thing in and of itself, but I think it does mean that there is less territory to explore with each successive character you play (again only in terms of game mechanics) 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 01:16:21 AM »
Never really understood that kind of complaint. Sure, hypothetically the d20 classes are unique, but the uniqueness always seemed painted on to me. Reading the book you feel like it's there, then you play the game and realize it's not.

Besides, there's like eight classes that get sneak attack and each form of spellcasting.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 01:31:25 PM »
Never really understood that kind of complaint. Sure, hypothetically the d20 classes are unique, but the uniqueness always seemed painted on to me. Reading the book you feel like it's there, then you play the game and realize it's not.

Besides, there's like eight classes that get sneak attack and each form of spellcasting.
I think Im recalling that part of the early days before the system got so bloated with hybrid classes, prestige classes, Archetypes, etc.  Though that last was more a Pathfinder thing.  For my playstyles at least the broad=strokes in the core classes still had a lot of mechanical diversity (something Pathfinder did even better, initially) where sneak attack was unique to the Rogues, where I could decide what sort of character I wanted to play based on whether I felt like pouring through stacks of books to manage a daily spell list, or if I just wanted to be Grog the Orc with a giant ax that hit things good, or maybe I feel like a ranged sniper that weekend. 

Especially when your talking about one-off games where you want to throw something new together in a half-hour and hit the ground running for an afternoon.  But thats really more a benefit of less story-driven mechanics; less story development required overall. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/