Author Topic: Real Shapeshifting  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Participant
    • View Profile
Real Shapeshifting
« on: May 06, 2017, 03:54:34 PM »
I am wondering what would be the appropriate powerset to play 'real' shapeshifters that are able to pick any humanoid shape (not necessarily animal ones, and certaintly not inanimate forms) as an actual bodily change. What I seek is the ability to effortlessly take any generic humanoid template (such as "twenty-something athletic Caucasian redhead woman" or "forty-something skinny bald Asian male", or even "golden-skinned androginous elf") w/o having to copy anyone specific as a model, although the latter may or may not be an option. The change should be real and complete to all normal purposes (up to the point of being able to have sex and reproduce in the current form), and be unrecognizable to mundane and magical detection, short of using mental probes or the character using inappropriate mannerisms or the like.

Because of my requirements, Glamours and Flesh Mask seem wholly inappropriate for my purpose, Mimic Form and True Shapeshifting might be optional upgrades (in case I wish to broaden the power to imitate specific people or take animal forms) but not the foundation to develop the ability I'm seeking, and seem too expensive for the benefits I require. I mean this to be a foolproof cosmetic disguise ability and a way for certain characters to treat things like age, looks, race, sex, and gender as effortlessly-changeable fashion choices. Think Mystica of the X-Men.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 03:56:38 PM by Wanderer »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Real Shapeshifting
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 06:07:56 PM »
I don't think there's any existing Power that fits. You could write a new one, or use something like Limitation to cut down True Shapeshifting.

Offline Wanderer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 07:12:20 PM »
I don't think there's any existing Power that fits. You could write a new one, or use something like Limitation to cut down True Shapeshifting.

Interesting. How much do you think such a power (or the limitation to be placed on TS) would be worth, and do you have any suggestion for a name?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 02:33:53 AM »
If it's not much good for impersonation, and doesn't let you swap your skills around, I'd cost it at 2 Refresh.

Offline Wanderer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 11:23:18 AM »
If it's not much good for impersonation, and doesn't let you swap your skills around, I'd cost it at 2 Refresh.

I see, and I'm good with it. Any suggestion for a name for this power?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 09:54:13 PM »
Face-Shifting? Limited Shapeshifting? Cosmetic Shapeshifting?

I can think of a bunch of okay names, but no great ones. Names have never been my strong suit, as "Incite Effect" shows.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 12:58:17 AM »
Doppelganger?  Form Manipulation?

Edit:  why would it be worth 2 refresh? It offers no mechanical benefit.  Human Guise is 0 refresh and it does almost the same thing but you lose it when you use a power attached to the Guise.

Flesh Mask lets you hide stuff in it and it's only worth 1 refresh.

I'd make it a 1 refresh power and say it gives you a +1 to deception for some specific purpose.  Or give it some other kind of ability.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:04:37 AM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 01:22:33 AM »
Who said it has no mechanical benefit?

I'm assuming it gives +4 to relevant rolls, same as True Shapeshifting and Mimic Form within its narrow domain.

Probably wouldn't break the game at 1 Refresh, honestly, but I'd prefer to play it safe.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 10:40:03 AM »
Ah, I misread.  I thought it was just a cosmetic change.  +4 is worth 2 refresh, especially since it has no drawback like mimic does. 

Offline Wanderer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 09:01:25 PM »
Sanctaphrax is right. By its very nature, this power has to provide the same disguise benefits as True Shapeshifting, albeit limited to humanoid forms. Foolproof disguise in normal circumstances, although w/o the ability to mimic anyone specific, +4 to Deceit or Stealth rolls if you do something to cause suspicion. The other benefits are cosmetic and lifestyle ones, and hence worth no refresh points.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 03:13:21 PM »
Its a good power simply to prevent discovery. Crimes and be committed and so long as you not caught in the act their is no way to trace them back with magic. Breaking and entering gathering information in possible hostile situations its worth 1 or 2 refresh. Any shapechanging is a powerful ability whether with actual change or even just illusion. Humans(us) relay so heavily on our vision.