Linked Events

• DragonCon 2017: September 01, 2017 - September 04, 2017

Author Topic: Jim at DragonCon 2017 in Atlanta, GA  (Read 14639 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Jim at DragonCon 2017 in Atlanta, GA
« on: April 07, 2017, 06:01:48 AM »
9/1/17-9/4/17
DragonCon
265 Peachtree St NE
Atlanta, GA

We have Jim’s schedule for DragonCon, and it’s intense! Readers will have abundant opportunities to hear Jim speak and get their books signed, and even to attend the premiere of the Dresden Files fan film Red Sun!

Note: We highly recommend showing up EARLY to signings to avoid disappointment. Previous DragonCon signing lines have been capped before the signing even began! In order to accommodate as many fans as possible, Jim can sign only TWO ITEMS per person per trip through the line.

Also, contrary to what the official schedule says, Jim will NOT be participating in the “First Contact Improv” or “Into the Dark” events Friday and Saturday nights. His schedule was published on the app before anyone consulted him on it. Come on, Dragon Con! Give the guy a little time to recharge! 😀

FRIDAY

Dresden Files: Actor & Author
11:30am – 12:30am — Marriott Imperial Ballroom
Audience Q&A about the Dresden Files television series with the author who created Harry Dresden on the page & the actor who brought him to life on the screen.
Panelists: Jim Butcher and Paul Blackthorne, with Moderator Carol Malcolm.

The Logic of Magic
1:00pm – 2:00pm — Hyatt Embassy EF
Magic may not be real, but it still must make a certain kind of sense. What’s involved in developing a magical system for a story that feels internally consistent & believable?
Panelists: Jim Butcher, Kathryn Hinds, Faith Hunter, and Elizabeth Moon.

Autograph Session
4:00pm – 5:00pm — Marriott International Hall South 4-5

SATURDAY

An Hour with Jim Butcher
01:00pm – 2:00pm — Hyatt Regency VI-VII
Audience Q&A with the bestselling author of the Dresden Files, Codex Alera, & Cinder Spires series.

Autograph Session
2:30pm – 3:30pm — Marriott International Hall South 4-5

Monster Hunter Files
4:00pm – 5:00pm — Hyatt Regency VI-VII
Focus on the upcoming anthology of stories set in the world of Larry Correia’s Monster Hunter International!
Panelists: Jim Butcher, Larry Correia, Faith Hunter, Kelly Lockhart, Jonathan Maberry, Jody Lynn Nye.

Signing with The Bard’s Tower
06:00pm – 7:00pm — Booth 817, Exhibit Hall 3rd Floor (AmericasMart Bldg 2)

SUNDAY

Signing with Badali Jewelry
01:00pm – 2:00pm — Booth 2422, Exhibit Hall 2nd Floor (AmericasMart Bldg 2)
NOTE: A free ticket will be required.  They can be picked up at our booth at any point during the convention.  People can also request one before the convention by emailing badalijewelry@badalijewelry.com

Magnificent Men of Sci-Fi/Fantasy
2:30pm – 3:30pm — Hyatt Regency VI-VII
The top men of our genres discuss their careers & offer advice to new writers.
Panelists: Kevin J. Anderson, Jim Butcher, Larry Correia, Peter David, Nancy Knight, and Larry Niven.

From the Beginning: The Evolution of the Urban Fantasy Protagonist
7:00pm – 8:00pm — Westin Peachtree Ballroom
The authors on our panel have played vital roles in the advancement of the Urban Fantasy genre. We’ll discuss how their seminal characters have developed & changed over time, all while continuing to influence the field.
Panelists: Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher, Laurel K. Hamilton, Kim Harrison, Sherrilyn Kenyon.

MONDAY

Keeping the Peace: Liaison Characters in UF
11:30am – 12:30pm — Westin Chastain 1-2 – Westin
Whether striving to improve communication & relations between supernatural & human communities, or between different groups within the supernatural world, our panelists’ characters often find themselves in the position of peacemaker.
Panelists: Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher, Delilah S. Dawson, Kim Harrison, Nancy Holzner, Faith Hunter.

BONUS EVENTS

Dresden Files Cosplay Group Shoot
Friday at 6:30pm — Walton-Spring Park (behind the Westin, in front of the Doubletree)
If Rainy: Landing, Chastain Level, Westin Peachtree
For the past several years, photographer Andrea Gonzales has organized a group photo shoot for Dresden Cosplayers. Join the fun!

Red Sun: A Dresden Universe Fan Film
Sunday at 10:00pm – 12:30am — Westin Savannah Ballroom
Tower of Turtles Productions presents their full-length feature Dresden Universe fan film, Red Sun. The story takes place between Small Favor & Turn Coat.

Fans can also meet Tyler Walpole, artist for the Dresden Files Co-Operative Card game and The Blood of Dragons! He’ll be selling original prints at Booth 219 on the 3rd floor of AmericasMart Building 2.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:11:20 PM by Priscellie »

Offline Pure_heart_abigail

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at DragonCon 2017 in Atlanta, GA
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »
My husband and I will be going to DC. Is there an itinerary for Jim yet? I came across a q&a at 1 on Saturday. Any other events? We are only going one day. We need to decide which day! Thanks!

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 05:26:01 AM »
Even Jim hasn't been given his schedule yet. :D

Offline slayn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 01:55:26 PM »
Per the DragonCon app:

Dresden Files: Actor & Author - Friday, Sept. 1, at 11:30

The Logic of Magic - Friday, Sept. 1, at 1:00

Autograph Session 06 - Friday, Sept. 1, at 4:00

First Contact Improv - Friday, Sept. 1, at 10:00

An Hour With Jim Butcher - Saturday, Sept. 2, at 1:00

Autograph Session 10 - Saturday, Sept. 2, at 2:30

Monster Hunter Files - Saturday, Sept. 2, at 4:00

Into the Dark - Saturday, Sept. 2, at 10:00

Magnificent Men of Fantasy/Sci-Fi - Sunday, Sept. 3, at 2:30

From the Beginning: The Evolution of the Urban Fantasy Protagonist - Sunday, Sept. 3, at 7:00

Keeping the Peace: Liaison Characters in Urban Fantasy - Monday, Sept. 4, at 11:30

Jim also usually does a signing with Badali or The Signed Page in the vendor area as well, but those will be announced by the vendors themselves.

Speaking from personal experience (I've been to all (or most) of the DragonCons Jim has attended), any panel he's involved with is INSANELY popular and you'll probably want to line up well in advance.  The biggest downside of this is that if he's doing panels in back-to-back slots, you almost certainly will not be able to attend both.  Also note that DragonCon clears rooms after each panel, so unlike conventions like Comic Con, you can't just find the room where Jim will be later in the day and camp out.

The lines for his signings are even worse.  In previous years I've shown up several hours early and there were still a dozen or more people in front of me.  The con staff in the signing area have always been super-cool about the crowds big-name authors draw and will designate an area to congregate - BE SURE TO ASK WHERE THIS IS!!  I have seen a lot of people walk away disappointed because they didn't ask and lined up in the wrong area, only to be told the official line is full.  All that said, Jim is extremely efficient about signing things and can get through a lot of people in his designated time.

I really can't stress enough that Jim is super popular and draws big crowds, so you have to plan which panels/autograph sessions you want to see in advance.

Offline Wolfman50020

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 03:23:05 PM »
Is there a limit to how much he'll sign at one time and what price is it at Dragon Con? I plan on meeting him just want to be prepared ahead of time.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 06:21:38 PM »
I don't know about DragonCon, but at other signings Jim has done, he likes to limit it to 2 per person per trip through the line. 
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline slayn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 11:25:22 PM »
Generally he'll do three if it's just a flat signature (only his name) and two if you want him to personalize it.  You can also go through the line again, but realistically there are too many people for this to actually be an option.

Offline Wolfman50020

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 12:09:58 PM »
My determination is strong lol. I would like to get the Dresden files RPG set I've got signed, Then have the two copies of storm front personalized. I may just have to wait in line all again or catch him both days he is autographing. Does he care for pictures/selfie as long as it doesn't hold up the line?

Offline slayn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »
My determination is strong lol. I would like to get the Dresden files RPG set I've got signed, Then have the two copies of storm front personalized. I may just have to wait in line all again or catch him both days he is autographing. Does he care for pictures/selfie as long as it doesn't hold up the line?

Nope, he's fine with that.

Also, I just checked Badali's FB page and they are hosting Jim at their booth Sunday, between 1:00 and 2:00.  You'll need to stop by before-hand to get a (free) ticket, though; booth #2422.  I've never done one of their ticketed signings before, so I don't know how long the tickets last.  It never hurts to get it early, though.

One word of advice:  it's almost impossible to catch Jim before or after a panel to sign things because a) Jim is usually pretty busy and doesn't have a lot of time to hang around and b) con staff and Jim's assistants discourage it to some extent because it can quickly get out of hand and they're trying to clear a room or get him to his next panel.  If you want to attempt this, your best bet is after the two 10 p.m. panels he's on, but be aware that Jim is attending with his fiance, and they may want to get to a party or something and not hang around.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 12:43:56 AM »
I've posted Jim's finalized schedule!

http://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/2017/dragoncon-schedule

We have Jim’s schedule for DragonCon, and it’s intense! Readers will have abundant opportunities to hear Jim speak and get their books signed, and even to attend the premiere of the Dresden Files fan film Red Sun!

Note: We highly recommend showing up EARLY to signings to avoid disappointment. Previous DragonCon signing lines have been capped before the signing even began! In order to accommodate as many fans as possible, Jim can sign only TWO ITEMS per person per trip through the line.

Also, contrary to what the official schedule says, Jim will NOT be participating in the “First Contact Improv” or “Into the Dark” events Friday and Saturday nights. His schedule was published on the app before anyone consulted him on it. Come on, Dragon Con! Give the guy a little time to recharge! 😀

FRIDAY

Dresden Files: Actor & Author
11:30am – 12:30am — Marriott Imperial Ballroom
Audience Q&A about the Dresden Files television series with the author who created Harry Dresden on the page & the actor who brought him to life on the screen.
Panelists: Jim Butcher and Paul Blackthorne, with Moderator Carol Malcolm.

The Logic of Magic
1:00pm – 2:00pm — Hyatt Embassy EF
Magic may not be real, but it still must make a certain kind of sense. What’s involved in developing a magical system for a story that feels internally consistent & believable?
Panelists: Jim Butcher, Kathryn Hinds, Faith Hunter, and Elizabeth Moon.

Autograph Session
4:00pm – 5:00pm — Marriott International Hall South 4-5

SATURDAY

An Hour with Jim Butcher
01:00pm – 2:00pm — Hyatt Regency VI-VII
Audience Q&A with the bestselling author of the Dresden Files, Codex Alera, & Cinder Spires series.

Autograph Session
2:30pm – 3:30pm — Marriott International Hall South 4-5

Monster Hunter Files
4:00pm – 5:00pm — Hyatt Regency VI-VII
Focus on the upcoming anthology of stories set in the world of Larry Correia’s Monster Hunter International!
Panelists: Jim Butcher, Larry Correia, Faith Hunter, Kelly Lockhart, Jonathan Maberry, Jody Lynn Nye.

Signing with The Bard’s Tower
06:00pm – 7:00pm — Booth 817, Exhibit Hall 3rd Floor (AmericasMart Bldg 2)

SUNDAY

Signing with Badali Jewelry
01:00pm – 2:00pm — Booth 2422, Exhibit Hall 2nd Floor (AmericasMart Bldg 2)
NOTE: A free ticket will be required.  They can be picked up at our booth at any point during the convention.  People can also request one before the convention by emailing Badali Jewelry.

Magnificent Men of Sci-Fi/Fantasy
2:30pm – 3:30pm — Hyatt Regency VI-VII
The top men of our genres discuss their careers & offer advice to new writers.
Panelists: Kevin J. Anderson, Jim Butcher, Larry Correia, Peter David, Nancy Knight, and Larry Niven.

From the Beginning: The Evolution of the Urban Fantasy Protagonist
7:00pm – 8:00pm — Westin Peachtree Ballroom
The authors on our panel have played vital roles in the advancement of the Urban Fantasy genre. We’ll discuss how their seminal characters have developed & changed over time, all while continuing to influence the field.
Panelists: Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher, Laurel K. Hamilton, Kim Harrison, Sherrilyn Kenyon.

MONDAY

Keeping the Peace: Liaison Characters in UF
11:30am – 12:30pm — Westin Chastain 1-2 – Westin
Whether striving to improve communication & relations between supernatural & human communities, or between different groups within the supernatural world, our panelists’ characters often find themselves in the position of peacemaker.
Panelists: Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher, Delilah S. Dawson, Kim Harrison, Nancy Holzner, Faith Hunter.

BONUS EVENTS

Dresden Files Cosplay Group Shoot
Friday at 6:30pm — Walton-Spring Park (behind the Westin, in front of the Doubletree)
If Rainy: Landing, Chastain Level, Westin Peachtree
For the past several years, photographer Andrea Gonzales has organized a group photo shoot for Dresden Cosplayers. Join the fun!

Red Sun: A Dresden Universe Fan Film
Sunday at 10:00pm – 12:30am — Westin Savannah Ballroom
Tower of Turtles Productions presents their full-length feature Dresden Universe fan film, Red Sun. The story takes place between Small Favor & Turn Coat.

Fans can also meet Tyler Walpole, artist for the Dresden Files Co-Operative Card game and The Blood of Dragons! He’ll be selling original prints at Booth 219 on the 3rd floor of AmericasMart Building 2.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:11:05 PM by Priscellie »

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
Can someone please record the panel with JIm and Paul Blackthorne?  I really want to see that.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 06:10:48 PM »
Can someone please record the panel with JIm and Paul Blackthorne?  I really want to see that.

I'm going to make every effort to record them all.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 06:44:49 PM »
Thank you Pirscellie

Offline Seidmadr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 09:19:42 PM »
I'm going to make every effort to record them all.

If you manage to do it, you are a saint. :)
Could you update us on it whether you manage to do it or not?
It is kinda heartbreaking to sit and wait for videos and only slowly realize they aren't coming. :)

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 03:10:06 AM »
If you manage to do it, you are a saint. :)
Could you update us on it whether you manage to do it or not?
It is kinda heartbreaking to sit and wait for videos and only slowly realize they aren't coming. :)

I recorded "The Logic of Magic" and "Monster Hunter Files," and one of my friends says she recorded Jim's solo panel, so we're 3 for 3 so far! (Paul Blackthorne canceled on the con, so his panel with Jim was canceled as well.)