Author Topic: Our First Game  (Read 6954 times)

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Our First Game
« on: March 19, 2017, 02:13:16 AM »
I got my cards a few weeks ago and finally got a chance to sit down and play with two of my daughters (ages 11 & 8). They were a little frustrated because it took us so long to get going because I had the rules in hand and was doing everything step by step. That's mostly my thing: in every game I keep the rules on hand to make sure we're playing right until we get the hang of it.

We picked our characters. I was Harry, my 8-year-old was Murphy and my 11-year-old was Billy & Georgia. STORM FRONT was awesome and our cards were laid out in an almost chronological order. One of our rows was just Foes and Obstacles. The other row was Cases and Advantages, with our Range 6 Foe being The Shadow Man. Once we got the hang of things and the feel for what our characters could do, the girls really enjoyed it. Billy & Georgia were our heavy hitters, able to take out Foes left and right. Murphy was invaluable as an investigator for our Cases and as a means for us to draw new cards. My hand for Harry was mostly attacks and overcomes... and I didn't get the chance to investigate until the very end of the game.

My daughters' final verdict: It was fun and we're going to play again!

Also, I'm pretty sure we played on wrong and I want to take another crack at it.

I have a question though: Why is it important to have the characters' turn order randomized? The instructions say hand out the character decks randomly, or if we choose our characters, randomize the seating order. Why does that matter?
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Our First Game
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 02:50:04 AM »
It's a lot of fun. Glad your kids enjoyed it.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:59:59 PM »
I have a question though: Why is it important to have the characters' turn order randomized? The instructions say hand out the character decks randomly, or if we choose our characters, randomize the seating order. Why does that matter?
Yeah, I don't get that early. Or the prohibition against discussing what's in your hand.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 03:50:41 PM »
Sounds like you all had a lot of fun.

I can't wait to get mine now.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 02:26:43 AM »
Yeah, I don't get that early. Or the prohibition against discussing what's in your hand.
The hand prohibition is to prevent one strong willed gamer from dominating every choice in the game. (Like I absolutely would.)

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »
Just received my game box plus two plastic envelopes containing extra cards. I somehow thought there would be more extra cards, unless they are inside the box. Haven't opened it yet.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 01:16:40 PM »
Just received my game box plus two plastic envelopes containing extra cards. I somehow thought there would be more extra cards, unless they are inside the box. Haven't opened it yet.
Yeah, that's all of it -- I was surprised, too. I was thinking something like Sentinels of the Multiverse, where each hero is 40 cards, so I was expecting a much bigger package.

We played our first couple games last night (lost to Storm Front, whipped Fool Moon). It's fun, but man, a bad opening draw can just screw you over.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 01:21:51 PM »
Yeah, that's all of it -- I was surprised, too. I was thinking something like Sentinels of the Multiverse, where each hero is 40 cards, so I was expecting a much bigger package.

We played our first couple games last night (lost to Storm Front, whipped Fool Moon). It's fun, but man, a bad opening draw can just screw you over.
Those are my favorite games. The ones that look hopeless but somehow you pull through(or almost pull through) at the end.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »
Got mine, then decided it's too beautiful to play with unprotected, so I ordered some card protectors.  Now just waiting for the gaming group's schedules to align!
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 02:32:21 PM »
Those are my favorite games. The ones that look hopeless but somehow you pull through(or almost pull through) at the end.
Well, we didn't have those games -- Fool Moon we actually beat pretty soundly by focusing on everyone but the Loup-Garou cards.

Storm Front we realized half-way through that we just didn't have enough Attack cards to take out the Foes (a couple bad rolls didn't help, either -- having Sanya's Kalashnikov do 2 hits instead of 4 or 6 is painful).

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »
I finally got mine in.  I can't wait to open it and roll around in my cards ...

(click to show/hide)
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---