Author Topic: Cider Spires is set in Alera? Reposting this topic  (Read 22268 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Cider Spires is set in Alera? Reposting this topic
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 04:54:45 PM »
My first thought was that archangels were based off the stories of the first etherealists.  After all, if there are crystals that make etheric energy into anti-gravity, then a skilled etherealist could conveivably fly on their own.
But characters do not seem to speak of the Builders with the same reverence they do of "Lord God Almighty" (and archangels by association). So that seems to me to discount that idea.
If that is the case, then we'd be talking about a semi-active Etherealist Faction, not just myth and Story.  Per the Prologue "no less than four Fleet aeronauts have reported sightings of an Archangel, and swear they were neither drunk nor sleeping".  And if we're talking a faction of Etherealists, then we are talking about a group with goals and motivations (albeit likely some damn CRAZY ones...)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline nedserD C B yrraH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 05:02:47 PM »
I fall in the earth colony on foreign planet camp. The structures were designed to fit with the planet as part of the terra-forming plan. However the new planet and the terra-forming tech didn't mesh as planned, maybe the ether caused malfunctions, maybe the ether is a kinda of planet based consciousness, whatever; badness ensues and the colonists realize its gonna take more time than originally planned. However a space faring people would certainly be capable of maintaining orbit, perhaps with a majority of the crew in some type of stasis. I propose that the archangels are ships that leave either a mother ship or satellite and go planet side checking out the progress of the terra-forming. The humans are descendants of custodians that have forgotten their purpose or survivors that took shelter in the structures as the rest fled back to Heaven.
I'm not a Fanboy, I just Squee a lot.

DV Geek Code v1.2 YR9 FR1 BK++ RP JB++ TH ++ WG+ CL+ SW+(B,T,JM) BC+ MC +++(--) SH (Mu++Mo++El+)

Your total Dresden Files purity rating is 53.1%

All scores:
Supernatural Power:75.7%
Social Skills:45.5%
Armed Combat:6.1%
Unarmed Combat:41.8

Offline Hankthemoose

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 05:42:12 PM »
I don't like it, it doesn't pass the smell test.

Having a Spire Albion at all, much less putting it front and center in the story, essentially disqualifies the Aleran connection. It would very sloppy to reference things like Aurora, Olympia, or Albion in an Aleran context, considering that there is no earlier indication that earth mythology/religion exists in any form in Alera.