Author Topic: Seelie Magic - Abundance?  (Read 2113 times)

Offline darkfoxdev

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Seelie Magic - Abundance?
« on: March 04, 2017, 07:28:28 AM »
So i just got DFA (amazing) and I'm planning to run a game, I noticed that the things seelie magic cover are: growth, fire, vigor and abundance. The first three make sense but I don't know how that last one is meant to work? Presumably it can't multiply existing objects and anything nature related (like fertility) could probably fall under the growth category, so what exactly would having the power of abundance allow one to do?

Looking more for examples to use as a baseline if my players ask.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:12:33 AM by darkfoxdev »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Seelie Magic - Abundance?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »
Welcome!

When I think of abundance, I think of a big table full of food.  So, in my mind, while growing an apple tree might fall under 'growth', having it weighed down with fruit would be abundance.  Having 'more than enough'.

Having a lot of game to hunt etc...

In a way, I could see the waxing and waning of herds and game.  So, for instance, having an abundance of deer is good because it provides food for predators but it's bad because it puts strain on the ecosystem as they devastate the local vegetation.  Enter the Winter Court and the predators take over and cull the herd.  The wolves become too strong creating famine and only the strongest wolves survive(winter's survival of the fittest), and disease (Summer) culls the weak ones.  This allows the deer to become abundant.

So the two Courts keep each other in check.

I might just be looking at it from one angle, though.  Just guessing, it could also pertain to Places of Power, or temptation to incur debt and to tap into wellsprings of Magical Power.  So, maybe, Summer can super-charge things in a way Winter can't?  Like how a small fire can go wildly out of control if you're not careful.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 05:20:22 PM »
Like how a small fire can go wildly out of control if you're not careful.

Fire...or a strain of virus or bacteria.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 06:46:17 PM »
Fire...or a strain of virus or bacteria.

Exactly.  'Abundance' can be a great source of compels.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 05:58:26 PM »
Taken abstractly enough, and I could see "Abundance" working as a subset of "Good-Luck", so in magical terms it might be something akin to a benevolent Entropy, skewed heavily toward receiving "Quantity Over Quality".  So like you are hungery and want food, and a tractor trailer carrying twinkies crashes at your feet. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain