Author Topic: Enchanted item question  (Read 1844 times)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Enchanted item question
« on: March 08, 2017, 02:57:27 PM »
Under the RAW for such items,the item is good for only a single exchange (or two or three,depending on Crafting stuff) and that's it. 

How does the community feel about an enchanted item that only bestows a single trapping of a skill, but for the duration of an entire scene, especially the social skills or non-combat skills
Examples:
The Riding trapping for the Survival skill,
The Tracking skill for Survival skill.
The Detect Lies trapping for Empathy.
the various trappings of Rapport and Intimidation as well.

I bring these up since using the social skills and the others listed above is really what I'd call a 'long action' that takes more than an exchange or even a second, but several minutes or more of work.  At the same time, I don't think this necessarily displaces Stunts, as these items can be stolen, lost, or otherwise neutralized.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Enchanted item question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 03:52:27 PM »
I'm not sure I understand.  You already have all those trappings under your skills.

But, to clarify, it doesn't work for a 'single exchange', it works for a single 'challenge or action'.

So, if you are shooting someone with a gun, a Guns replacement item would work for a single attack.
If you are talking to someone, a Rapport replacement item would work for a single check.

So, if you are in a social conflict and you end up rolling rapport 6 times, you might use your item once.  That result might represent several minutes of conversation.

If you are in a social situation where the GM calls for a single roll to resolve the conflict/scene, you can use your item and that result might represent 15minutes, or a half-hour, or a whole evening, depending on the length of the scene or conflict.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 05:13:41 PM »
Ah. I'm afraid I was operating under a misinterpretation of the rules. Thanks for clarifying!
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 06:10:48 PM »
I find it helps to think of enchanted items as bottled die rolls.