Author Topic: Okay, this may sound dumb but ...  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Okay, this may sound dumb but ...
« on: January 30, 2017, 07:48:48 PM »
I've never played a game like this.  I've never played Magic or any others like this.

I'm assuming it's SOMETHING like Magic, as oppose to Rummy or Poker.

I'm a backer.

Can someone give me a "For Dummies..." explanation of how the game will work?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, this may sound dumb but ...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 09:46:45 PM »
Backer here as well...But Ive not actually played it yet, Im waiting until I have the cards in hand.  What I can say is that Im confident it is almost nothing like Magic, purely on the fact that it's a Cooperative game rather than a Competitive one.  As I understand it everyone is working toward a common goal.  I think it's more along the lines of a cooperative Boardgame, or maybe a card-based RPG (though I dont actually know if there is much RP element to it so that's a terrible example)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 04:28:44 AM »
For the most part Yes, it will be like Magic. You read the Text on the cards in your hand and that will tell you when you can play them, and what to do when you play them. Most games like this are actually incredibly simple(Magic is complicated because it's codeword heavy and has a lot of nitty gritty timing stuff). All it takes is some reading comprehension. As you get better you'll start to understand/intuit when the best time to play a given card is and what cards work well together.
I haven't played this particular cooperative card game before. But it won't be all that difficult to work out. You'll mess up a few rules early on. That's okay. It's about having fun.
If you want a good fun intro to Text based card games pick up Smash Up. It's fun, kind of silly, and easy to learn. (But not cooperative)

Offline Mongward

• Conversationalist
  • Dwarf of the Or-Tench Citadel
    • View Profile
    • Polish FB fanpage of Dresden Files
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 06:35:45 AM »
The rules are extremeley clear. We've played several times with friends (using the backer preview). Explaining the rules takes about ten minutes. You have four key card types corresponding to story cards you place on the "board.
Attack and Investigate cards add a set (or variable, by dice rolled) number of Hits or Clues to Foe and [mystery] (can't remember the name now) cards. If the set number is collected, you remove the story card.
Overcome and Take Advantage cards work on a 1:1 basis, you play them on Obstacles and Advantage story cards to remove them. Obstacles limit your options or modify your rolls, Advantages allow for additional card draws or give some other bonus.

And that's about it. Every card has a certain range you have to take into consideration, and a cost of Fate Points you have to be careful about, because all players share the FP pool.
The challenge lies in communicating with the other players well enough (without giving the specifics, though new stories we play with giving exact numbers) to remove as many foes and [mysteries] as possible. If the number of Foes remaining on the board remains grear or equal to the [mysteries] solved, you lose the scenario.

It's very simple, and it's more of a board game than it is a card game, and definitely not a CCG.
Self-appointed Warden of my hometown. Poland is vastly understaffed, is what I'm saying.

The dice are on fire, and it's totally my fault.