Klaus Schneider
2 (0.7%)
Thorsen
0 (0%)
Simmons
0 (0%)
Kostikos
0 (0%)
MacFee (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
0 (0%)
The Warden from Bremen
0 (0%)
The Original Merlin
3 (1%)
Montjoy (research trip in the Yucatán)
1 (0.3%)
Binder
0 (0%)
Leonid Kravos
0 (0%)
Victor Sells
1 (0.3%)
Aristedes
0 (0%)
Lucky
0 (0%)
Martha Liberty (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
1 (0.3%)
The Mailman from Storm Front
3 (1%)
Grevane
0 (0%)
Anthony Forthill
1 (0.3%)
Gregory Taggart (because why not)
0 (0%)
Father Paolo
1 (0.3%)
Benson Hagglethorn
0 (0%)
Larry Fowler
1 (0.3%)
Billy Sells
2 (0.7%)
Detective Green
0 (0%)
Nicholas Christian
0 (0%)
Malcolm Dresden
0 (0%)
Greg Beckitt
0 (0%)
Mike the Mechanic
2 (0.7%)
Richard/Rich/Rick/Dick
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 293

Author Topic: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]  (Read 153249 times)

Offline Calliope141

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2016, 02:43:09 AM »
I put other. Truthfully, I suspect that it is someone that has yet to be introduced, but I am not completely convinced of that. But there are veils and illusions that could mask his identity so it is possible it is someone we already know.

For awhile I thought Cowl might be an alternate version of Harry, but I am not convinced regarding that either.

Offline Reginald(Formally GW)

• Conversationalist
  • Life is beautiful I guess.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2017, 08:39:39 PM »
I cast my vote a TT harry. Mostly because I think that'd be cool. But I change my mind. It definitely isn't anyone who personally knew Dresden pre Dead Beat. You can tell by his reaction that he is unfamiliar with dresden who was still rising in fame at that point. He was beneath him. I believe this drops a lot of the list, including Simon, who would have been at the vote of whether to cut his head off. I change my vote to kemmler using some random body.
I miss you mdodd may your funny old man bones rest in peace
Dina is one of the best people I have ever had the pleasure to know, and I miss her.

Offline Darkcleod

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2017, 09:06:29 PM »
I voted "Other" for one reason.  I do think it's Harry.  Not an AU or TT version, but the "darker self" that he had a few run-ins with inside his unconscious mind.  I bet that's who, because, why not?  Be a shame to invent such a wonderfully dark persona and not really do much with it, except for internal spoilers.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2017, 11:21:15 PM »
Harry's a horcrux with a fragment of Justin's soul in him. Just joking.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Reginald(Formally GW)

• Conversationalist
  • Life is beautiful I guess.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2017, 02:48:25 AM »
I voted "Other" for one reason.  I do think it's Harry.  Not an AU or TT version, but the "darker self" that he had a few run-ins with inside his unconscious mind.  I bet that's who, because, why not?  Be a shame to invent such a wonderfully dark persona and not really do much with it, except for internal spoilers.
If thats the case then cowl must be working for his best interests because that is what his dark side does. Primal Survival.
I miss you mdodd may your funny old man bones rest in peace
Dina is one of the best people I have ever had the pleasure to know, and I miss her.

Offline Wizardofnelson

• Conversationalist
  • I am the tenth man...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2017, 04:18:57 AM »
fairly sure MM harry will look like Harry's ID, and his ID will look like harry because that's the side he supresses in his jungian shadow/subconscious.
Wizard, noun
Someone who does precise guesswork base on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

All perceiving is also thinking, all reasoning is also intuition, all observation is also invention. - Rudolf Arnheim

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2017, 08:14:02 PM »
fairly sure MM harry will look like Harry's ID, and his ID will look like harry because that's the side he supresses in his jungian shadow/subconscious.
I just dont see how anyone, no matter how nihilistic or prone to masochism, would willingly choose, even subconsciously, to look at battered as Harry now does with the oft-broken nose and other facial scars. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline JPT

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • JP Harker
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »

Simon makes the most sense.  I used to be part of Team; 'Cowl and Kumori are Harry and Molly from the future' but recently re-read Dead Beat and had the idea knocked out of me by the most obvious reason:  Cowl engages Dresden outside the bookshop while Kumori sneaks around to Harry's side of the pavement to whip the book from him, and Harry sees her.  Molly uses veils as second nature - it could never have been her.
Alias JP Harker, Coming to you from Glamorous Glamorgan

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2017, 02:46:19 PM »
It's probably been suggested somewhere before, but I couldn't find it.

Mirror Mirror Harry saves his ass by pulling other Harrys out of their universes and lets them bite the dust for him. It's supposedly a trick he copied from Kemmler, who used it a couple of times. (his Bob might have still had the knowledge and shared it with him)

I was thinking that maybe Cowl is one such Kemmler from another universe. The one who managed to make sure that the trick didn't work this time. Hence his contempt for the loser Kemmler and his lackeys. Despite the fact that he shares most of their hobbies.  He hasn't figured out how to get home yet, or maybe he doesn't want to because he's better off in this universe.

So far I haven't come up with a showstopper for this idea. If you find one, take it apart please  :)

Offline mholder78

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2017, 11:55:35 PM »
I don't think it can be an unmet character - otherwise why hide his face.  He is clearly strong enough to play in the big leagues and wouldn't need to hide - unless he was supposed to be dead and isn't OR he is on the White Council as a spy.  I don't think he is currently on the White Council - that was Peabody.  I'm sure there are others there, but unless it is Arthur Langtry I don't see any other SC members possible.  Simon is a big guess, but he was a friend to McCoy and seems likely Peabody is responsible for his death.

That is why I vote for Justin Dumorne.  He has obvious ties to the Outsiders - and he was manipulating Harry since he took him under his wing.  With Kemmler's teachings (via Bob) he could have easily faked his death at Harry's hands.  That would also explain why Cowl doesn't just kill Harry and end it (even though he clearly could).  Justin has had plans for Harry all along - and a wizard that survived the assault on Kemmler probably isn't getting taken out by some apprentice...no matter how innately powerful Harry is.  Kimori = Elaine (she was never out from under Justin's control) - and Elaine's help in previous novels was all her part in leading Harry to the final manipulation.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2017, 02:23:16 PM »
I don't think it can be an unmet character - otherwise why hide his face. 
There are plenty of reasons for Dark Wizards to hide their faces. The simplest one: So that nobody can describe their appearance.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2017, 06:16:24 PM »
There are plenty of reasons for Dark Wizards to hide their faces. The simplest one: So that nobody can describe their appearance.
I'm failing to find the passage at the moment, but somewhere it was mentioned that a decent photo can sometimes be enough for a thaumaturigical link.  I expect that Cowl plans on a higher tier of power than most.  Recall the lesson Ferro taught Harry about what the Big Boys can do with only a fragment of his Name, I tend to think a photo would provide a similarly weak link that might still prove a liability when going against the Big Fish of the world. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »
I just listened to the exchange between Harry and Cowl in front of Bock Ordered Books.

I tried to listen to it as though it was a TT Harry come back to interact with an earlier Harry, and I really cannot see that, based on what Cowl said.

Now, it's entirely possible that the WK mantle would change the words that Harry would want to say, like Molly's did to her, but again, that seems to be a stretch.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2017, 08:10:51 PM »
I just listened to the exchange between Harry and Cowl in front of Bock Ordered Books.

I tried to listen to it as though it was a TT Harry come back to interact with an earlier Harry, and I really cannot see that, based on what Cowl said.

Now, it's entirely possible that the WK mantle would change the words that Harry would want to say, like Molly's did to her, but again, that seems to be a stretch.
How about a MM Harry?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2017, 08:16:38 PM »
How about a MM Harry?

Not having met a MM Harry, I really couldn't say. 

He did have the "I'll tell you thrice and be done" bit.  So he must be close to faries.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---