Klaus Schneider
2 (0.7%)
Thorsen
0 (0%)
Simmons
0 (0%)
Kostikos
0 (0%)
MacFee (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
0 (0%)
The Warden from Bremen
0 (0%)
The Original Merlin
3 (1%)
Montjoy (research trip in the Yucatán)
1 (0.3%)
Binder
0 (0%)
Leonid Kravos
0 (0%)
Victor Sells
1 (0.3%)
Aristedes
0 (0%)
Lucky
0 (0%)
Martha Liberty (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
1 (0.3%)
The Mailman from Storm Front
3 (1%)
Grevane
0 (0%)
Anthony Forthill
1 (0.3%)
Gregory Taggart (because why not)
0 (0%)
Father Paolo
1 (0.3%)
Benson Hagglethorn
0 (0%)
Larry Fowler
1 (0.3%)
Billy Sells
2 (0.7%)
Detective Green
0 (0%)
Nicholas Christian
0 (0%)
Malcolm Dresden
0 (0%)
Greg Beckitt
0 (0%)
Mike the Mechanic
2 (0.7%)
Richard/Rich/Rick/Dick
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 293

Author Topic: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]  (Read 150982 times)

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl's Identity
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 02:09:50 PM »
  I just do not think he is anyone we know..

Yeah. I'm not entirely sure JB yas decided who Cowl really is, so he very well might not be anyone we or Harry have met yet.

Simon though would have been my second choice on this poll.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 02:15:44 PM »
Ugg.  This one certainly is due for a rerun... I wish you'd waited until December like I asked though ;)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 02:17:37 PM »
It is definitely Mike the Mechanic because he performs necromancy on Dresden's car over and over. He's hiding in plain sight!

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 03:19:03 PM »

So choice 2?

DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 04:13:49 PM »
I had to go with Simon, like everyone else.  I looked at all the choices and found the vase majority of them absurd.  Simon's the only one that makes sense in the list given.  No, I have no other candidates.

Btw, wasn't Grevane on-screen with Cowl at the Darkhallow in DB?  Cowl was there veiled as a "passive zombie" and stepped in when Ramirez took Grevane out, DB, Ch. 42.
"Sufficiently advanced technology," my ass.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 04:49:18 PM »
Well, I was going to go with Rudolph, the red nosed IA detective.  But since he wasn't listed as an option, I went with Simon

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 06:01:34 PM »
Yeah. I'm not entirely sure JB yas decided who Cowl really is, so he very well might not be anyone we or Harry have met yet.

Simon though would have been my second choice on this poll.
So choice 2?
Indeed, I included an option for 'An unmet person'.  'Other ' was intended more for those who would vote for Rudolph the red nosed AI detective, but can't becausei forgot him.
Well, I was going to go with Rudolph, the red nosed IA detective.  But since he wasn't listed as an option, I went with Simon
I might be able to add Rudolph.  He's up there with Larry Fowler for most annoying mortal that might actually be the Big Bad.

I had to go with Simon, like everyone else.  I looked at all the choices and found the vase majority of them absurd.  Simon's the only one that makes sense in the list given.  No, I have no other candidates.

Btw, wasn't Grevane on-screen with Cowl at the Darkhallow in DB?  Cowl was there veiled as a "passive zombie" and stepped in when Ramirez took Grevane out, DB, Ch. 42.
Yup.  But several are dead, so... who am I to nitpick?

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 06:19:30 PM »
Who is Cowl?

For the purpose of this poll, we're assuming that Harry's observation in Dead Beat is correct, and that Cowl is a mortal practitioner.

For the sake of keeping the list reasonable, Time Travel/Parallel Universe options have not been made available for anyone other than Harry.

Some that are listed seem highly unlikely, due to being dead, on-page with Cowl, the wrong gender, or some other limiting factor.  But as some theorize that Simon could be Cowl, I've included others that are normally overlooked as well.

Curator's note:  Griff followed my requested convention for this kind of thing by starting with "Other."  If you vote "Other" please post your choice so that it may be added to the bottom of the list.  Then you can change your vote to your actual choice.  -Serack
Just sayin' :)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 06:20:43 PM »
There's a part of me that hopes it turns out to be Darth Wannabe or one of his friends.  Mostly because of the look of incredulity on Harry's face when he recognized him, then realized that his archrival in a cowl does in fact have a dark mark tattoo. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 07:58:45 PM »
There's a part of me that hopes it turns out to be Darth Wannabe or one of his friends.  Mostly because of the look of incredulity on Harry's face when he recognized him, then realized that his archrival in a cowl does in fact have a dark mark tattoo.

Are you saying you changed your vote for most relevant short story?
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 08:12:03 PM »
So choice 2?

Indeed, I included an option for 'An unmet person'.  'Other ' was intended more for those who would vote for Rudolph the red nosed AI detective, but can't becausei forgot him.I might be able to add Rudolph.  He's up there with Larry Fowler for most annoying mortal that might actually be the Big Bad.
Yup.  But several are dead, so... who am I to nitpick?

It was your choice of words 'An unmet person' that threw me off. It would have made more sense to me if you just said 'Harry hasn't met him yet'. I see the word 'unmet' and I'm asking what does that mean? I know it's a legit word, but in this context it sounds strange.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 08:17:15 PM »
Are you saying you changed your vote for most relevant short story?
Oh absolutely not, The whole point is that he's the /least/ relevant character I can think of.   
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Wizardofnelson

• Conversationalist
  • I am the tenth man...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 09:52:27 PM »
I had to change it to other,
How's about, an alteration version of the original Merlin inside the same timeline.
Classically, Merlin exists backward through time in all timelines, but with the DR thing, 5 different times at the same time, I think 5 variation ended up in every timeline and grew off from there.
Wizard, noun
Someone who does precise guesswork base on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

All perceiving is also thinking, all reasoning is also intuition, all observation is also invention. - Rudolf Arnheim

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 01:46:53 AM »
Oh absolutely not, The whole point is that he's the /least/ relevant character I can think of.

Sorry, I proally should have added a wink emoticon to that or something :)
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 06:31:03 PM »
I had to change it to other,
How's about, an alteration version of the original Merlin inside the same timeline.
Classically, Merlin exists backward through time in all timelines, but with the DR thing, 5 different times at the same time, I think 5 variation ended up in every timeline and grew off from there.
Not being contentious... just curious.

The "Merlin lives backwards" thing, as far as I remember, was the product/invention of T.H. White's Once and Future King and was later coopted by the Disney Corp. when they turned it into an animated film.
The film is based on the novel of the same name, which was first published in 1938 as a single novel. It was later republished in 1958 as the first book of T. H. White's tetralogy The Once and Future King. The Sword in the Stone was released to theaters on December 25, 1963 to mixed reviews, though it was a box office success.
Wikipedia -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_in_the_Stone_(film)

I don't recall the "backwards" part actually being in the Disney film, nor do I recall the concept being embraced by Mary Stewart in her series which started with The Cristal Cave.  The Arthurian legend has been a particular interest of mine for some time and I've read lots of stories (seen a lot of movies, too) of various levels of fact and fiction related to it but don't recall anything but White's story where Merlin is living in reverse time. 

Do you have any references I can look at?  I'd love to see what they have to say.  tyvm