Klaus Schneider
2 (0.7%)
Thorsen
0 (0%)
Simmons
0 (0%)
Kostikos
0 (0%)
MacFee (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
0 (0%)
The Warden from Bremen
0 (0%)
The Original Merlin
3 (1%)
Montjoy (research trip in the Yucatán)
1 (0.3%)
Binder
0 (0%)
Leonid Kravos
0 (0%)
Victor Sells
1 (0.3%)
Aristedes
0 (0%)
Lucky
0 (0%)
Martha Liberty (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
1 (0.3%)
The Mailman from Storm Front
3 (1%)
Grevane
0 (0%)
Anthony Forthill
1 (0.3%)
Gregory Taggart (because why not)
0 (0%)
Father Paolo
1 (0.3%)
Benson Hagglethorn
0 (0%)
Larry Fowler
1 (0.3%)
Billy Sells
2 (0.7%)
Detective Green
0 (0%)
Nicholas Christian
0 (0%)
Malcolm Dresden
0 (0%)
Greg Beckitt
0 (0%)
Mike the Mechanic
2 (0.7%)
Richard/Rich/Rick/Dick
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 293

Author Topic: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]  (Read 150975 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]
« on: November 15, 2016, 12:36:25 AM »
Who is Cowl?

For the purpose of this poll, we're assuming that Harry's observation in Dead Beat is correct, and that Cowl is a mortal practitioner.

For the sake of keeping the list reasonable, Time Travel/Parallel Universe options have not been made available for anyone other than Harry.

Some that are listed seem highly unlikely, due to being dead, on-page with Cowl, the wrong gender, or some other limiting factor.  But as some theorize that Simon could be Cowl, I've included others that are normally overlooked as well.

Curator's note:  Griff followed my requested convention for this kind of thing by starting with "Other."  If you vote "Other" please post your choice so that it may be added to the bottom of the list.  Then you can change your vote to your actual choice.  -Serack
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:22:06 PM by Serack »

Offline Wizardofnelson

• Conversationalist
  • I am the tenth man...
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl's Identity
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 01:06:08 AM »
I refuse to vote on the grounds I Can't pick more than one, because I can neither narrow it to just one... And or, I believe multiple people on the list to be the same anyway...
Wizard, noun
Someone who does precise guesswork base on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

All perceiving is also thinking, all reasoning is also intuition, all observation is also invention. - Rudolf Arnheim

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 01:15:15 AM »
I refuse to vote on the grounds I Can't pick more than one, because I can neither narrow it to just one... And or, I believe multiple people on the list to be the same anyway...
Sorry, I'm looking for the current consensus and trending on the question.  If folks could vote numerous times, it'd be less definitive. 

As for multiple people being the same, if you're thinking that there's something like Kemmler became DuMorne or something, then vote for the soul/consciousness you believe is in control. 

If that's not what you mean, then I'd be interested in hearing about it.  I don't know of any theories where any of the above are the same, given that they're all public personas. 

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 01:20:46 AM »
If he is an undead or necromancy enhanced being, he could jump bodies or become others.
k moinuddin

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 01:27:59 AM »
If he is an undead or necromancy enhanced being, he could jump bodies or become others.
True.  Which is why I recommend going with the soul/consciousness in charge.  If you think it's Kemmler in Pietrovich or DuMorne's body, then I'd say Kemmler. 

The argument against Cowl easily jumping from body to body is that he was apparently injured in Dead Beat, and his body was still showing signs of injury in White Night.  The counter is that he currently has a magically-inclined body, and doesn't want to give it up.

Offline Wizardofnelson

• Conversationalist
  • I am the tenth man...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 01:39:57 AM »
Sorry, I'm looking for the current consensus and trending on the question.  If folks could vote numerous times, it'd be less definitive. 

As for multiple people being the same, if you're thinking that there's something like Kemmler became DuMorne or something, then vote for the soul/consciousness you believe is in control. 

If that's not what you mean, then I'd be interested in hearing about it.  I don't know of any theories where any of the above are the same, given that they're all public personas.
well, the above is my first choice actually, but given my tendancy to explore vague possibilities and recurring themes... I have these crazy idea's that dumorne was another alternate Harry or kemmler was, became dumorne. Something about the way he looked vs say, Odin. (I compare it well with clash of the Titans, Hades looked like a darker Zeus) he looks like a darker Odin who never lost the eye/gained knowledge. Which means he's just another version of the Merlin archatype... Or the possibility Rashid is the original Merlin/ dark variation of Odin... few other variations... Gah, I'll just go with Kemmler *i can't decide lol*
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:43:16 AM by Wizardofnelson »
Wizard, noun
Someone who does precise guesswork base on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

All perceiving is also thinking, all reasoning is also intuition, all observation is also invention. - Rudolf Arnheim

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 02:05:11 AM »
I went with Simon. It 's the most likely choice.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 05:21:02 AM »

I went with Other....

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 06:10:21 AM »

I went with Other....
Care to elaborate?

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 06:22:37 AM »
I voted Simon as well.  He's the single most likely.

But I also like the theory that Kemmler corpsetook Justin and then came back again as Cowl.

But I can think of all kinds of things wrong with each theory.  So I wouldn't be surprised to be surprised, if that makes any sense.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 06:42:38 AM »
 Normally I would have voted for Simon, but I have a feeling that Harry can't sense anything familiar about Cowl. By now I'd figured he'd run into just about every Wizard at least once, or could at least recognized the style of magic.

So I went with other.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 09:46:45 AM »
Ah, the one million dollar question. Good idea for a vote. :)

I'll stick with Simon. He makes the most sense. For just about every other candidate in the list there's a good reason that it can't be him or her. The younger ones seem unlikely as Cowl is SC material. The actual SC members are accounted for during DB. Peabody probably as well because his being AWOL during that time would have been noticeable. And the phone call at the end of War Cry is probably with Cowl.

I generally don't think much of TT or alternative universe possibilities because I believe that the law of the conversation of history is very real and limits these options severely.

My second vote would have been other.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 12:58:40 PM »
Normally I would have voted for Simon, but I have a feeling that Harry can't sense anything familiar about Cowl. By now I'd figured he'd run into just about every Wizard at least once, or could at least recognized the style of magic.

So I went with other.
Who, then? 

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »

He might well not have encountered Simon ever actually doing anything. The only time they would for sure have been in the same place would be when he sat on Harry's trial, and Harry had a bag over his head and only caught enough to guess who voted to kill him and who to spare him.

It's possible Simon might have paid Eb a visit while Harry was living on the farm, since they were friends. But even if he did, he'd have to have been doing a fairly major spell while there for Harry to learn much of a sense of his power to recognize it again later.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 01:49:40 PM »
Care to elaborate?

I just do not think he is anyone we know..