Author Topic: Is it just me?  (Read 11120 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 12:10:26 PM »
Quantus, haven't you read my posts in this thread? I have not read Alera.  :)
I was just wondering if you'd simply not gotten around to it (at which point Id try to convince you how awesome it is so you will try it) or you'd tried it and not liked it (in which case Id ask you why not) :)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 02:41:51 PM »
I didn't try
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline MilknCookies

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 04:53:24 PM »
Dresden Files started off good then ramped up so much quality continuously. So I'm staying optimistic for Cinder Spire.

Codex of Alera started off strong though. I like the later books more, but it's not like with Dresden good, very good, ..... omg best book ever.

Another difference with Alera is that the first book started off with a big diverse cast of characters, and all of them, even the villains, develop through the first book. Dresden Files have the advantage that characters are introduced slowly throughout the books. Both series have such incredible characters. Jim set the bar and standard for characters in fantasy literature.

Cinder Spires might be at a disadvantage because the settings like habbles, tunnels, and ships, are so confined. The characters are coming from similar backgrounds. They are variations within the nobility, with different status but still the same class. Then you need wildly different characters like Folly and Rowl to shake things up. The end result just pales in comparison to Jim's other works.

Offline Aesir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2016, 11:02:30 PM »
Of the three series, no question, Cinder Spires is the one I like least so far.  The beginning is weighed down by info dumps, and some of the character's personalities struck me as a bit contrived and not particularly believable.  Overall the first book is ok, but not something I'm inclined to praise to my friends the way I do the books in the other two series.  I would most definitely recommend Codex Alera and the Dresden Files as well to those that haven't yet read them.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:44:52 PM by Aesir »
DV Aesir v1.2 YR8FR8 BK++ RP++ TH++ ?WG BC+ SH[Molly+++ Lara++ Mab++ Elaine++ Gard+ Murphy- Mavra----]

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 01:25:36 PM »
I didn't try
Oh my, you absolutely should.  The first one is good, but each one gets progressively better IMO, until the last one that is just superb.  Admittedly I tend to start my re-reads on the second book.  The first one takes place way out in the hinterlands of the Empire, on the periphery of the setting to some extent.  The second one moved to the capital, and also introduced several of my more favorite characters.  If you think you'll struggle to get into them, you can probably skip the first and come back to it, I think you'd get the important bits in context during the 2nd. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain