Author Topic: Reference: Character Foreshadowing  (Read 19257 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: Reference: Character Foreshadowing
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 01:11:24 AM »
For what it's worth, his landlady made some sort of 'there you are' comment when he saved her from the house fire in Changes.

Potential "There you are" foreshadowings are raidem's baby.  That's actually why I chose that portion of the quote to call it out with.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 02:33:05 AM »
I've heard Jim say that he deliberately seeds his books with little lines relevant to potential paths his characters could take down the road.  (Potential, because sometimes they have more than one potential path).  I thought I'd start a Reference Topic dedicated to this subject, grouped by character.  I don't have a copy of the books that I can copy/paste from so if anyone else can help provide excerpts for this stuff I'd appreciate it.

Butters
Line from Ghost Story where Butters pledged to train with the Edinjar (msp?) immediately after getting a fully functional light saber

Carlos
Per WoJ, he's the apprentice that was noticed by Harry in Summer Knight at the Council meeting

Fae Kings:
Line in Storm Front about Santa existing, and also about how nuts you'd have to be to try to trap him in a circle (a foreshadowing of capturing the Erlking in DB, as well as the eventual appearance of Santa in the series.)

Lea
Storm Front, Harry mentions he has a genuine Farie Godmother.

Molly
Lea attempts to bargain for Michael's first born in Grave Peril, hinting at her significance to the Fae Courts.
Thomas
Line from Chauncy about Harry having surviving family.
Line from Nic about Harry being Maggies youngest.

Minor Characters & Theories
Lacuna's nature
Fitz theory

Harry: "I am only mortal."
Mab: "For now."

and

My name is Harry blackstone copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk.

Well, I think this should be included.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline Phaeton Seraph

• Conversationalist
  • Diogenes. With fricken laser beams.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 02:37:24 AM »
That's a bit unfair.  Nicodemus is said to be a super swordsman that only two Knights had survived.  Murphy defeated him.  Unless you think their fight outside the Carpenter house was staged on the off chance she might misuse the Sword.

I would have said: 
That, sir, is a facile argument... And also woefully esoteric.

I'm better than a shirt.  I'm a sword....  Look, they're still breathing.   Stupid shirt.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 03:02:29 AM »
I would have said: 
That, sir, is a facile argument... And also woefully esoteric.
I treat words like bullets.  If I have my target in sight, I use them sparingly.  If I use a lot, it often means I'm shooting from the hip in the dark through a screen on a rocking boat at sea during a storm trying to hit a silhouette weaving drunkenly to ad fro on the distant horizon. 

Or in this case, not entirely sold on the defense I've undertaken.   ;)

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 03:47:04 AM »
The thing about Lea is not foreshadowing. It is like mentioning he has pink slippers and then, later, you see his pink slippers. He is just telling you he has them.

Offline PlatinaD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 03:57:59 AM »
 When Harry is talking to Marcone at the end of White Night, he draws parallels between the Mobster and Hades.

Offline Wizardofnelson

• Conversationalist
  • I am the tenth man...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 03:59:38 AM »
When Harry is talking to Marcone at the end of White Night, he draws parallels between the Mobster and Hades.
nic says he would have made a good monarch. Plays Arthur to harrys Merlin, or possibly Uther instead...
Wizard, noun
Someone who does precise guesswork base on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

All perceiving is also thinking, all reasoning is also intuition, all observation is also invention. - Rudolf Arnheim

Offline Fenix Wulfheart

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2016, 01:42:10 PM »
I've seen some hints that imply that, potentially, Harry himself actually is Merlin. The original, first Merlin.

It's a long story that would require me to reread the series. Which isn't exactly a hardship XD

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
I've seen some hints that imply that, potentially, Harry himself actually is Merlin. The original, first Merlin.

It's a long story that would require me to reread the series. Which isn't exactly a hardship XD
I think that notion has crossed the mind of everyone who has read the books. Whether it is true or not is another matter. I doubt it is true but, even then, we don't really have enough information to do more than fruitlessly speculate. Suffice it to say, this question was telegraphed to readers as a possibility. Whether it is an intentional attempt at misdirection, at reality, or just an accident of prose, we don't know. It is this sort of 'twist' that I hope Butcher does avoid in the end, though.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2016, 02:03:20 PM »
I treat words like bullets.  If I have my target in sight, I use them sparingly.  If I use a lot, it often means I'm shooting from the hip in the dark through a screen on a rocking boat at sea during a storm trying to hit a silhouette weaving drunkenly to ad fro on the distant horizon

Or in this case, not entirely sold on the defense I've undertaken.   ;)

That's a lot of words.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2016, 02:20:29 PM »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 04:48:48 PM »
That's a lot of words.
Is it?  I hadn't noticed...

Offline Phaeton Seraph

• Conversationalist
  • Diogenes. With fricken laser beams.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2016, 02:03:44 AM »
That's a lot of words.

I was quoting from Archer.   
Archer gave Cyril a "Chekov gun" and a poison pen with a loose cap.   Cyril said he'd worry more about the Chekov gun, to which Archer (who we take for granted as an idiot) replies "that's a facile argument" and his butler adds "And woefully esoteric." 

They slip in the odd highbrow joke amongst all the asshattery. 

I'm better than a shirt.  I'm a sword....  Look, they're still breathing.   Stupid shirt.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2016, 02:37:49 AM »
I was quoting from Archer.   
Archer gave Cyril a "Chekov gun" and a poison pen with a loose cap.   Cyril said he'd worry more about the Chekov gun, to which Archer (who we take for granted as an idiot) replies "that's a facile argument" and his butler adds "And woefully esoteric." 

They slip in the odd highbrow joke amongst all the asshattery.
I'm just glad they renewed it.  That whole will they/won't they thing had me worried.

Offline Wondering Wanderer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2016, 03:39:35 AM »
Murphy's skill with swords wasn't an issue, she held Nic and was winning, barely, until she spoke 2 words:  "Damn you." Her pronouncing a "judgement" changed everything about the battle.