Author Topic: Reference: X compared to Y = possible Discrepancy?  (Read 57353 times)

Offline Ziggelly

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Reference: X compared to Y = possible Discrepancy?
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »
If he had the rings, he wouldn't of carved the extra runes in his staff.

I guess we won't see the rings again till mirror, mirror - where hopefully we find out the fates of little chicago, the bear buckle, the rings, and the sword cane.
I don't think the bear buckle is a real loose end; Harry just didn't want to use the buckle again, because when it wore off that first and only time he used it, it made him crash harder than he'd anticipated, leaving him in a very vulnerable position. It simply wasn't worth it. I know that Jim's mentioned this before; he's also mentioned that - from a writer's standpoint - he didn't really want to be leaning on the buckle, because it could easily become a deus ex machina. I'm fairly certain that it was a conscious decision not to use it again, rather than a discrepancy.

Offline Iam that kemmler

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2014, 04:03:22 AM »
Gates and ways.
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,32830.msg1894720.html#msg1894720

My theory on this is that we are reading the books from 5 different time lines all slightly different. I think we got a cluebat in the latest book where Harry was avoiding traffic with all the slightly different Harry's waving to each other as they drove around in the old beetle and then spoke to Molly. It ties in with the original Merlin needing to be in 5 places at the same time to build deamonreach - and with Harry (woj stating that Harry was going to break all the rules) breaking the "swim against the currents" rule also fixes the "Xavier" thing - and can actually explain the fixing of little chicago.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 04, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »
Meh, I dont think it has to be that complicated.  I think that Ways to Faery are specifically more repeatable and stable than the average, since Fairy is more strongly anchored to the natural world directly, rather that linked by mortal subjectivity as completely as with more idealogical domains.  This is why it was critical for the WC to secure passage from one of the courts, because those are the only ways that are objective enough to count on for the entire organization.  Note that all the way locations we've seen are all relatively static locations:  bleak, uniform and inhospitable rental space, stairwell near a abandoned meatpacking plant, etc. These are places with rather old and/or established tones, and so it would take more drastic changes to shit them.  If by contrast we were talking about a Movie Screen (and one that wasnt devoted specifically to horror flicks) it would likely open to a wide range of locations depending on which movie was last played and what emotional imprint the last audience left behind. 

It was also stated in GS that powerful NN entities can more directly influence Ways, which is why Evil-bob was able to funnel all NN traffic around CT's lair to his Normandy Beachhead.  Presumably Lea put similar boundaries near harry to funnel access through her Garden.

Dont get me wrong, Im just talking about Way mechanics; I do also subscribe to the theory that the SG dream scene was a glimpse of the multiverse.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2015, 09:00:42 PM »
dangit, apparently I didn't hit post when I wrote it earlier, but...

While going through Skin Game I missed this minor disparity:

at the beginning of Chapter 20 of Small Favor, Harry asks Michael how Murphy is doing after getting hit by a ball from a shotgun blast and Michael differs to Charity's wisdom since she is the one with "medical training"

In Chapter 20 of Skin Game, Michael explains that he is able to diagnose a "radial fracture" of Harry's arm because of his training as a Corpsman while in the service.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Gigglestomp

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2015, 09:16:17 PM »
dangit, apparently I didn't hit post when I wrote it earlier, but...

While going through Skin Game I missed this minor disparity:

at the beginning of Chapter 20 of Small Favor, Harry asks Michael how Murphy is doing after getting hit by a ball from a shotgun blast and Michael differs to Charity's wisdom since she is the one with "medical training"

In Chapter 20 of Skin Game, Michael explains that he is able to diagnose a "radial fracture" of Harry's arm because of his training as a Corpsman while in the service.

True. I missed that! Though it's possible that his medical training isn't as extensive as hers. Where did she get hers from? She's not a doctor. And he must not have been a Dr. in the service either, since no one calls him by the title. Maybe his knowledge is limited to more common battlefield injuries?

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2015, 09:54:38 PM »
True. I missed that! Though it's possible that his medical training isn't as extensive as hers. Where did she get hers from? She's not a doctor. And he must not have been a Dr. in the service either, since no one calls him by the title. Maybe his knowledge is limited to more common battlefield injuries?

A Corpsman, if serving with the Marines, is the equivalent of an Army Medic.

Being able to diagnose a "radial fracture" without an x-ray seems to me to be at odds with not being able to judge the severity of Murphy's injury in Small Favor.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2015, 03:36:21 PM »
A Corpsman, if serving with the Marines, is the equivalent of an Army Medic.

Being able to diagnose a "radial fracture" without an x-ray seems to me to be at odds with not being able to judge the severity of Murphy's injury in Small Favor.
That was a gunshot, which can have internal "nicks" and whatnot, small-scale damage that cant be seen.  A "Radial Fracture" is essentially just a fancy way to say broken forearm (ie a break of the Raduis bone).  Theoretically /I/ could diagnose that, even if Id be too squeamish to try and set it. 

Random note:  In that murphy scene Michael starts by saying:
Charity is the one who’s had actual medical training, but it seemed a simple enough injury to me. A bandage stopped the bleeding, and we cleaned the wound thoroughly. She should be careful to monitor her condition for the next few days, but I think she’ll be all right.” 

This means that her "actual medical training" involved something more substantial than a military medic, which is interesting.  We have no indication she has ever had any particular career, but it would be entirely within character for her to have gone to nursing school, etc purely to patch up Michael.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2015, 03:48:46 PM »
I need to rev up the wiki editing skills and add her medical training to her DF wiki page
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2016, 05:14:21 PM »
The link to the "Maggie the Eldest's ovaries" entry to the OP list is dead, so I'll need to rebuild the explanation of that entry to the list.  Interestingly enough, there is a rather recent WoJ on the subject shortly after the timestamp in this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyAKU7sNWYI
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2019, 04:00:36 PM »
I need to do a write up on who hired the Churchmice in Death Masks.  Suffice to say, I’m pretty sure there is a WoJ that SG has it right.
DF WoJ Compilation