Author Topic: "Wild Card" Puck?  (Read 4340 times)

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
"Wild Card" Puck?
« on: September 15, 2016, 07:58:42 PM »
Has anyone tackled adapting the character of Puck from the current Dresden comic "Wild Card"?

We know he's Wildfae

And I would give him the aspect of
(click to show/hide)
(spoiler if you haven't read issue 4 yet).

I have a player character who's been stalked for most of his life and thought about using Puck for the stalker.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: "Wild Card" Puck?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 05:17:46 AM »
Not that I know of.

I took a crack at the Puck from Shakespeare back in 2010, though. Is it the same guy?

Looking at those stats again, I don't love them but they're not terrible. No idea whether they match what the comic's Puck does, since I haven't read Wild Card.

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 02:12:47 PM »
It has one issue left.

He is definitely a trickster. He's been manipulating the 3 major factions (Police, Mob, and White Court) into war. I think he is THE Puck from Shakespeare but, like Titania, made to fit into the Dresden world.

I would think he would have increased speed, strength and glamours or shapeshifting. He apparently can tear spirits from their bodies.

Here is the look they've given him (punkish). This is from www.Dynamite.com where they have sample pages for the book. (cannot remember if it's permitted to post links or not. If so, say so and I'll remove it.

Still has not revealed his true motives. Final issue comes out this week.

The aspect I suggested came from the end of #4 when Harry is asking Lea for information and she gets worried. Before she can tell him anything, she gets blindsides and knocked some distance away. This makes me think he is in her weight class.

He chases Murphy and keeps changing forms like the Nagloshi but also assumed the appearance of various people to stir up the confusion.

I was tempted to post this request in your thread about character requests but thought I'd see if anyone had already done the work. Tonight I'll comb back through the issues and assemble the relevant information on his abilities and either PM them to you or post it back in here.

We might be able to use what you've done as a base model and tweak it to what they've used in the comics.

Any help you can give, would be greatly appreciated.

Not that I know of.

I took a crack at the Puck from Shakespeare back in 2010, though. Is it the same guy?

Looking at those stats again, I don't love them but they're not terrible. No idea whether they match what the comic's Puck does, since I haven't read Wild Card.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:19:32 PM by lordoracle »
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 05:14:56 PM »
read the final issue and came to the conclusion that Puck will be best used as a plot device. The only way to defeat him appears to be by outsmarting him. He had huge chunks of flesh shot out of him and then both arms cut clean off. He healed from all of it in a matter of minutes. Definitely seems too powerful.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 06:34:18 PM »
That sounds like Mythic Recovery...

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 07:43:31 PM »
read the final issue and came to the conclusion that Puck will be best used as a plot device. The only way to defeat him appears to be by outsmarting him. He had huge chunks of flesh shot out of him and then both arms cut clean off. He healed from all of it in a matter of minutes. Definitely seems too powerful.
What did it?  If it wasnt Iron (which most bullets arent, at least) I'd say that's still reasonable mythic healing outside of the applicable Catch. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 10:03:39 PM »
What did it?  If it wasnt Iron (which most bullets arent, at least) I'd say that's still reasonable mythic healing outside of the applicable Catch.
He got stabbed with a machete from Marcone, then his arms chopped off by Thomas and Lara's swords besides getting huge chunks of him blown off by bullets.  He also uses a chain as an improvised weapon without it catching his hand on fire, but that could be an artistic mistake since the storm of bullets catch his torso on fire.  This guy is on a similar scale as the naagloshii pretty easily.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 10:15:33 PM »
He got stabbed with a machete from Marcone, then his arms chopped off by Thomas and Lara's swords besides getting huge chunks of him blown off by bullets.  He also uses a chain as an improvised weapon without it catching his hand on fire, but that could be an artistic mistake since the storm of bullets catch his torso on fire.  This guy is on a similar scale as the naagloshii pretty easily.
Eesh.  That does sound like a full-on immortal mantle of some kind.  I'd have expected it to work the other way, with the blades doing more lasting damage than the bullets (which almost never contain iron or steel unless you make them custom for the task (something Marcone would do, admittedly). 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 12:34:02 AM »
Eesh.  That does sound like a full-on immortal mantle of some kind.  I'd have expected it to work the other way, with the blades doing more lasting damage than the bullets (which almost never contain iron or steel unless you make them custom for the task (something Marcone would do, admittedly).
Well to be honest, your instincts were right.  The whampire swords did have a longer effect than the damage from the bullets/fire.  Yeah, he's definitely a serious threat.  Nothing seemed to do more than slow him down for a minute or two.  He always comes back good as new in the same scene.  At worst, he has some blood left on himself.
Plus,
(click to show/hide)
He doesn't seem to use a lot of overt magic though beyond the regeneration and some minor shapeshifting.  He favors physical fights when we see him.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 01:28:49 AM »

Meh. Instant regeneration can just be a fancy description for taking stress. If Lara, Marcone, and Thomas are scoring hits on him in melee, he's not that tough.

The stats I posted earlier may have been too powerful; Marcone would have a very hard time doing anything to that version of Puck with his Fair Weapons.

And even if you assume he took no stress at all from all that stuff, it could just be Physical Immunity. Not beyond stats.

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 05:34:53 PM »
Didn't realize how long it's been since I checked in.

Found an entry on him on TV Tropes and got ideas for aspects:

Immortality Immorality: not sure if this should be a regular aspect (since he's a bad guy) or his trouble (not sure there is a point to an antagonist having a trouble). Alternatively, a trouble could be as simple as "Bored Immortal" leading him to accept ridiculous challenges like the game of poker Harry uses to best him.

Building to a Bad Future: whatever he's doing is building to a bigger plan

Ax Crazy: his whimsy about killing

What the Hell, Hero?: when someone does something he actually didn't expect

Again, sorry for being absent so long and, as always, I appreciate the input.