Author Topic: Question about Items of Power  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Question about Items of Power
« on: August 31, 2016, 01:34:16 PM »
How much refresh would it cost a player to have his item of power have the "All creatures are equal before God" ability? Because my character has an item of power and would eventually like to have this particular feature on his Moonlight Sword, but I have no idea how much something like this would cost. All help is appreciated.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Items of Power
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 03:25:40 PM »
Don't take my word for it, but for what it's worth Ive seen IoP stats on the wiki that had either had Holy costing 1 Refresh and All Creatures Are Equal Before God costs 3 Refresh, or else Holy being free and All Creatures Are Equal Before God costing 4 Refresh.  Ive never seen them in play though, so I cant really speak to the balance. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 08:17:57 AM »
Personally, I rate True Aim at -2, All Creatures at -3, and Holy as -0/nothing/built into the Aspect.

-3 or -4 is fine. If you read it strictly, the power costs 1 FP per *type* of creature, so I would be less strict about that at -4 and more strict at -3. Primarily, I would have a well-defined Agenda tied to such a power...the Sword of the Cross's stipulations help balance the mechanical power of the Powers attached (not that such a thing is the best idea, design-wise, but it can work well at individual tables.)
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 12:47:53 PM »
I'm curious now, what is your plan with the character and sword?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 03:11:40 PM »
My plan you say? I guess I can share. It'd been a while since I have played Dresden Files so when my DM said he was doing a game it got me pumped. An not to long before he asked me I'd turned over Bloodborne and an idea came to mind immediately. So I ran with the idea of what if the main character, before he ascended to being a great one, presented Analise with the ring of betrothal and she accepted? My character concept is a young man who is adopted by two overbearing but loving parents, and he happens to be a descendant of these two people but does not know it. His dreams are filled with a red moon hanging low over gothic city where beast and all manners of dark creatures rule the streets. An the only thing stopping them from doing so are brave men and women garbed in black, using any and every means to combat the threat and shove them back. He is not clued in so of course this freaks him out and when he tells his parents they look at him like he's crazy, eventually he has another dream where he finds himself in an unfamiliar field (The Hunter's Dream) where a presence makes itself known to him. He can't describe what exactly it is he is seeing nor can he understand its alien utterings, but when it reaches out and embraces him tightly to it he is shocked. Forcing him to awaken to find a strange mark on his left palm and a greatsword that seems to emanate blue moonlight across his lap; then he accepts that something is really wrong with him.

Overall he's meant to be a Hunter in the present day, wanting to take up arms against the things that go bump in the night to protect humanity though he's 12 at the moment and has a long way to go. (Feet in the water level) My dm loved the idea and due to the prodding of another player whose mother was put in a drug induced coma and his character was conceived through a dark ritual by the sleeping Cthulu against there will. A rival faction stormed the sect, killed his mother and kidnapped him to trained him to be a terrorist in servitude of the great old one. They got raided by the white council and he used the distraction to slip away, living on the streets as a homeless child touch by madness. Keep in mind we did not collaborate in anyway, shape or form nor did we know of what each other is building and our dm, after reading more into it decided to add the Cthulu mythos to the mix.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 03:27:19 PM »
Sounds cool!  Im not familiar with Bloodbourne.  Whats the sword do?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 09:17:17 PM »
Typical item of power things. Unbreakable, it is what it is (two handed great sword that acts as a trick weapon and emanates moonlight along its surface which I can turn on and off at will). Though most of the time I keep it in either a carrying case or a large enough gym bag. The main thing I really want is the sword of the cross feature where you burn a fate point and the weapon becomes whatever it is your fighting bane of existence. So I can at least have something to get past resistances and immunities and the like and eventually as the game progresses I am looking towards building my own weapons, clothes and adding rune magic to the mix. I'll put up a video to better show what the moon light sword looks like or a link to the picture. Just need idea for cool stunts and powers to make sure I can keep up. Like deflect projectiles back at people, cut through spells, etc.

Added: https://www.google.bs/search?q=holy+moonlight+greatsword&biw=1280&bih=607&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwizjqb7i-_OAhVFlB4KHYeOBIIQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=P7l-ry-h7UuC_M%3A

Here ya go
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:19:28 PM by Ghostfreak »