Author Topic: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!  (Read 50500 times)

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2016, 09:40:34 PM »
I havent read the books in a while, but was Oberon or the Autumn Courts ever mentioned? If so, has other people ever used them as stories?

No official mention in the books of the Autumn court, but I have seen some speculation on this site in other threads that Oberon was the Summer Duke and that the Erlking was the Autumn Duke, and that both Courts fell.

This thread from RPGnet might be useful: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?579537-DFRPG-Fae-Spring-and-Autumn-Courts&s=afbdb559e71ae254ce3648291fe5189a
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:45:18 PM by Shaft »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2016, 09:54:11 PM »
No official mention in the books of the Autumn court, but I have seen some speculation on this site in other threads that Oberon was the Summer Duke and that the Erlking was the Autumn Duke, and that both Courts fell.

This thread from RPGnet might be useful: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?579537-DFRPG-Fae-Spring-and-Autumn-Courts&s=afbdb559e71ae254ce3648291fe5189a
Per WOJ, Oberon was a mortal that got caught in a love triangle between Mab and Titania and did not survive the experience.  Similarly per WOJ, the Erlking is a Summer King and Santa is a Winter King, but they are still Wyldfae and are not actually part of the two Courts, just like some of the other various wyldfae courts.  They are Summer and Winter in that they have metaphysical roots on that side of things and they are beholden to the Mothers, which was compared to being beholden to gravity.

If you go Here you can see the WOJ's we have on the Fae.  Scroll down a bit to the ones we have on the Kings specifically. 

That being said, there's no reason you couldnt have Spring and Autumn courts in your own game.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline SerGalahad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2016, 02:48:17 PM »
Hey everyone!

What are your experiences with "self-compels" and players understanding/not understanding the concept. For me, a self-compel is when the player is knowingly really playing up to their character's aspects, such as mouthing off [Epic Wiseass] to Lady Fox [Unseelie Huntress Turned Nightclub Owner] and the whole time the player knows that doing so is going to cause a lot of problems, so that's definitely worth a fate point.

I've temporarily taken over as GM for the DFRPG group that I'm part of and I'm running a 3-part storyline. Just ran part 1 a few weeks ago and it was mostly a success (I'm often a bit overly critical of my GMing skills), but I had mentioned self-compels to the group, as a way to encourage them to really get into character and as part of my overall discussion of the rules (we'd been playing really, really rules-lite until I took over) and many of the players seemed to think that anytime they're playing their character they should be getting fate points for self-compels. I think it is when you're willingly playing your character in such a way that you're purposefully bringing trouble into your life.

So, from everyone's experience, am I correct with my interpretation? How do your players/fellow players understand or use self-compels? Thanks!
"Dewey you fool, your decimal system has played right into my hands!"
- Giant Brain in Futurama

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2016, 06:43:45 PM »
Yes, I think you are correct.

They can RP their characters all day but if that RP doesn't get the characters in to trouble then it's not worth a FP.  When character traits and character aspects cause complications, that's when you reward FPs.

Here's the various ways that I've seen self-compels:

1. Player plays character in a way that gets them into trouble.  GM rewards Player with a FP during or after the scene.
2. Player plays character that gets them into trouble and asks for a FP
3. (This is probably most common) Player is in a situation then suggests a self-compel.  "if I play up aspect 'XYZ' it would sure get them into trouble.  Would that be worth a FP?"

Then the GM and the player work out the the compel and the player goes ahead and plays out the scene with the compel in mind.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2016, 08:12:22 PM »
1. Player plays character in a way that gets them into trouble.  GM rewards Player with a FP during or after the scene.
As a GM, I always loved the looks on a player's face when this happened and I just silently slid the poker chip across the table to them mid-scene.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Nepene

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2016, 08:26:09 PM »
Hey everyone!

What are your experiences with "self-compels" and players understanding/not understanding the concept. For me, a self-compel is when the player is knowingly really playing up to their character's aspects, such as mouthing off [Epic Wiseass] to Lady Fox [Unseelie Huntress Turned Nightclub Owner] and the whole time the player knows that doing so is going to cause a lot of problems, so that's definitely worth a fate point.

I've temporarily taken over as GM for the DFRPG group that I'm part of and I'm running a 3-part storyline. Just ran part 1 a few weeks ago and it was mostly a success (I'm often a bit overly critical of my GMing skills), but I had mentioned self-compels to the group, as a way to encourage them to really get into character and as part of my overall discussion of the rules (we'd been playing really, really rules-lite until I took over) and many of the players seemed to think that anytime they're playing their character they should be getting fate points for self-compels. I think it is when you're willingly playing your character in such a way that you're purposefully bringing trouble into your life.

So, from everyone's experience, am I correct with my interpretation? How do your players/fellow players understand or use self-compels? Thanks!

"An aspect can also allow you to gain more fate
points by bringing complications and troubling
circumstances into your character’s life. When
this occurs, it is referred to as compelling the
aspect.

"it limits the
responses available to a character in a certain
situation, it introduces unintended complications into a scene, or it provides the inspiration
for a plot development or a scene hook for that
character."

So you have to play your character in such a way that it produces complications and troubling circumstances and advances the plot.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2016, 03:31:03 AM »
So you have to play your character in such a way that it produces complications and troubling circumstances and advances the plot.

This. If it doesn't introduce complications to the PC, it isn't a compel.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2016, 10:48:22 PM »
If someone wantesld to be able to use haki in your game, how would someone here rule it?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2016, 12:10:18 AM »
If someone wantesld to be able to use haki in your game, how would someone here rule it?

First, you have to determine what it does and then you just assign powers.  I don't know anything about it so I had to look it up.

Kenbunshoku Haki sounds like an array of supernatural senses that let you see auras.  It could also be emulated by taking a re-skinned version of Wizard's Sight and Soulgaze.

Busoshoku sounds like toughness....it's says'allows the user to use their spirit as armor to defend against attacks or make their own attacks more potent."

I might say that this is done by taking toughness powers with a Catch of "X number of hits"  because it says that this type is finite and runs out.

It increases attacks too, so maybe claws or Strength powers but it is finite, so I'm not sure how to make it run out.  Limitation, probably.

It could also be done with spirit spellcasting.  Using spell blocks and reskinned enchanted items to protect you and using evocation to attack.  The stress taken from spellcasting would work well for making it finite.

Haoshoku seems to be mental manipulation and could be done with mental spirit spellcasting or incite emotion/incite effect or domination.

If Haki does anything else I'm missing, you'd just take the appropriate power.  Spellcasting seems to cover a lot of what it can do.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2016, 12:28:54 AM »
Very nice. I'm gonna print this out. Much appreciated.

Offline SerGalahad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2016, 01:47:44 PM »
Thanks for the answers everyone!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2016, 12:58:31 AM »
Saracen and I discussed Haki in some detail here.

Offline SerGalahad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2016, 08:13:44 PM »
What kind of action would it be to target a Red Court Vampire's blood sack stomach? I know that their Inhuman Toughness doesn't provide armor for the belly; so would it be an attack or a maneuver? Or is puncturing/tearing it only the result of a consequence that the RCV took?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2016, 08:53:04 PM »
What kind of action would it be to target a Red Court Vampire's blood sack stomach? I know that their Inhuman Toughness doesn't provide armor for the belly; so would it be an attack or a maneuver? Or is puncturing/tearing it only the result of a consequence that the RCV took?

This one comes up every now and then.   Tagging an appropriate aspect works well.  A consequence or a maneuver that makes sense: pinned, supine, exposed belly etc...

Then I'd allow catch satisfying attacks as long as the aspect is applicable.  At least for the one who tagged the aspect.  I'm not sure if I'd make others spend a FP to take advantage of it.   I suppose it depends how the compel is worded. 

I think there's a couple other ways if handling it...I can't remember how, though

Edit:  knowledge might be what you need.  A Lore assessment t might be enough. 

A called shot: getting 3 shifts on an attack. 
An AIM action.  Which is essentially an aspect. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 08:56:12 PM by Taran »

Offline SerGalahad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2016, 08:56:40 PM »
Thanks Taran. I thought it was probably a common question, but the search bar & I were disagreeing with one another. and I couldn't find it anywhere. Your advice sounds great.